AOLQ conditions in Scotland (show of hands please)

bewsher500

who has it?
what former region? (as we are all in "Police Scotland" now)

I have been "fighting" for god knows how long to get "boar" on my FAC so I can rebook a botched attempt to visit Colin in D&G
this was to be added to firearms I already own and already have "1D Deer" on

Finally got it but it was a serious struggle

I now discover that contrary to what L&B originally told me some time ago that AOLQ does exist in Scotland

question is .....is it only the Strathclyde area that does it?

I did manage to get boar on my ticket, but it was conditioned for Colin's ground in D & G. No AOLQ, I can't understand why they won't just put it on as I'm sure most of us can get our heads round what is and is not legal quarry. L&B

Ed, iv got 'to shoot deer or vermin with permission of land owner with .270 ' on mine so I take it thats all species of deer . Was also in at pitt st today for a variation and asked about getting boar on mine . The feo said they wouldnt permit it with a .270 as it wouldnt be strong enough?. She said I would need to get a 30-06 or werabouts so what is the legal calibre for the grunters.....scott

on the same note how do i go on with my new variation, ie what do i put on it deer/boar,cheers doug,i allready have AOLQ on for 223 and yes i know its not scotland :oops:

Last edited:
and asked about getting boar on mine . The feo said they wouldnt permit it with a .270 as it wouldnt be strong enough?. She said I would need to get a 30-06 or werabouts so what is the legal calibre for the grunters.....scott

bollox
that is exactly what they just gave it to me on!
2x.270
1x.300WM

now with added boar!

.270 is generally regarded as a good calibre for boar but there is no "legal minimum" for UK boar
any 6.5x55, .260, .308, .270 etc etc will do the job just fine

bollox
that is exactly what they just gave it to me on!
2x.270
1x.300WM

now with added boar!

.270 is generally regarded as a good calibre for boar but there is no "legal minimum" for UK boar
any 6.5x55, .260, .308, .270 etc etc will do the job just fine

Well said ed couldn't agree more . Tried to explain the 270 would drop them but after speaking to her sergeant she came back and said no it would need to be bigger , in the range of a 30-06 . Obviously they dont know the size or much about them

Well said ed couldn't agree more . Tried to explain the 270 would drop them but after speaking to her sergeant she came back and said no it would need to be bigger , in the range of a 30-06 . Obviously they dont know the size or much about them

show them some energy stats

130gr .270 3100fps energy at 0 yds = 2747ftlbs -at 100yds 2375ftlbs
180gr .30-06 2674fps energy at 0 yds = 2859ftlbs -at 100yds 2497ftlbs

100 ftlbs is the difference of a .22lr subsonic round at the muzzle! hardly game changing!
Christ its one of Franz Albrech's favourite calibres!

i had this convo with SACs at the stalking fair , we have boar now on our ground at the borders, strathclyde police say there are NO wild boar in scotland , but there may be escapees from farms ans as such wont put them on my ticket .

we had wondered if they would come under vermin but SACs say this is a non starter , so there you have it we have boar but cant shoot them ;)

show them some energy stats

130gr .270 3100fps energy at 0 yds = 2747ftlbs -at 100yds 2375ftlbs

100 ftlbs is the difference of a .22lr subsonic round at the muzzle! hardly game changing!
Christ its one of Franz Albrech's favourite calibres!

Wouldn't you be better specifying the energy from a 150grn .270 bullet rather than a 130grn bullet in your arguement as the guidance actually mentions 150 grn as the recommended minimum?

Wouldn't you be better specifying the energy from a 150grn .270 bullet rather than a 130grn bullet in your arguement as the guidance actually mentions 150 grn as the recommended minimum?

good point (despite disagreeing that a heavier bullet in the .270 is better. it is actually a DECREASE in MV/ME and veloccity/energy across the entire trajectory!)
doesnt change anything though

150gr .270 3100fps energy at 0 yds = 2714ftlbs -at 100yds 2267ftlbs

Hi Mate if you have a firearms certificate and have permission it is in season you have a legal calibre you can shoot it what law would you be breaking ?

Hi Mate if you have a firearms certificate and have permission it is in season you have a legal calibre you can shoot it what law would you be breaking ?

You must adhere to your firearms certificate conditions. If they say "the .308 rifle is conditioned to shoot deer" then shooting anything else is an offence.

You must adhere to your firearms certificate conditions. If they say "the .308 rifle is conditioned to shoot deer" then shooting anything else is an offence.
That is sort of correct but not entirely... It would actually be a breach of firearms licensing conditions, for which you could have your ticket revoked but it's not an actual offence unless you shoot something that's illegal to shoot.
For example, someone with AOLQ could legally shoot a wild boar with a .223 if they had lawful authority (permission) although a separate offence of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal could be committed.
Without AOLQ someone using a .308 on wild boar conditioned for deer only would be in breach of FAC conditions but no law would have been broken.

This is an interesting point. What if the condition is worded 'the .308 rifle and moderator shall be used for shooting deer'?
The general rule with laws and so on is that things that are not forbidden are permitted. The condition does not say 'shall be used only for shooting deer', so if using it to shoot a boar, or a fox, or a bunny were otherwise lawful (i.e. you had permission to do so etc.), it would be interesting to see how things stood.
Attached is a little article by George Wallace, published in the shooting press (perhaps ST?) a few years ago.

WallaceConditions.jpg

Exactly as L&b interpret shooting lesser species with a deer rifle
generally conditioned for the largest species.
i.e. 1d Deer COnditioned rifles can be used for shooting foxes or crows but foxes and crows are not the good reason for owning them
however when I asked about shooting boar with a 1d conditioned rifle they got a bit tongue tied
is a boar a lesser species?
what about goats?
the y are both smaller!!

Hi Mate the conditions they talk about are the statutory conditions and are the same on everybodys ticket additional conditions may or may not be placed on a ticket so if you have no additional conditions on your ticket does that mean you cannot shoot at all

This is an interesting point. What if the condition is worded 'the .308 rifle and moderator shall be used for shooting deer'?
The general rule with laws and so on is that things that are not forbidden are permitted. The condition does not say 'shall be used only for shooting deer', so if using it to shoot a boar, or a fox, or a bunny were otherwise lawful (i.e. you had permission to do so etc.), it would be interesting to see how things stood.
Attached is a little article by George Wallace, published in the shooting press (perhaps ST?) a few years ago.

View attachment 40730

Dalua I think that it was actually Sporting Gun and not Shooting Times, not that it makes any difference.

Si I think you sum it up fairly well when you said;

"For example, someone with AOLQ could legally shoot a wild boar with a .223 if they had lawful authority (permission) although a separate offence of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal could be committed.
Without AOLQ someone using a .308 on wild boar conditioned for deer only would be in breach of FAC conditions but no law would have been broken."

I suppose it just shows the need to use the AOLQ condition wisely and to not abuse it.

Back