Penny-buns/Boletus edulis

SL6.5

Penny-buns, Ceps, Porcini, Boletus edulis call them what you will. I'm looking for a source of these delicious wild mushrooms in the Peebles/South of Scotland area. I don't want many, they are just for our own use at home. Can anyone either supply me or point me to where I might get some? I know it's a big ask as they will likely be scoffed up p.d.q. by anyone who finds them, but it's always worth saying please, isn't it? So, Please? :D

We normally get bumper crops of them round here, shame you aren't nearer! Ill be out in a month or so picking them!

Bumper crops! :drool: It's a shame indeed that I don't live any closer. You lucky so and so :D

ps. Where in East Anglia? and/or do you ever travel up to Scotland in late August or early September? :D

I know a spot near here but I'm not telling you where it is. Too early in the year and way too dry anyway. Won't be worth a serious look until October.

In and around Thetford Forest, brilliant for mushrooms, tonnes of Bay bolete as well, just as nice but infinitely more abundant and not so quick to get fly blown, you have to be quick still though as the eastern Europeans come out in their droves, I saw one clearly commercial set up with the back of an L200 stacked high with all sorts. Hardly personal consumption and somewhat illegal, its quite frustrating to see, but at least they get enjoyed by someone!

I've only come across one amateurish commercial operation but I think the gold rush dried up. Otherwise, when I was young, no-one apart from my family picked the mushrooms, it was easy. And then the Berlin Wall fell, and the peoples of the East exercised once again their freedom to seek out mushrooms. You can't really blame them. I mean when they turned up here and realised that none of the locals were eating them, they must have thought they'd found Ali Baba's cave. But they are dead serious about mushrooms and have forced us to up our game. If you can't go out there very early, it's not worth going, they will have harvested the day's crop.

Actually, it's quite possible that the disreputable mushroom baggers vanished after a right good telling off by the assembled angry recreational Eastern European mushroom gatherers.

Back