factory threaded rifles

stephentri

hi why is it that most rifles that come factory threaded have such short barrels,tikka t3 are all cut to 20 inch but the un-threaded ones are 22.75 inches. in some calibers 20 inch is to short 6.5x55 .270 30-06. i phoned GMK to ask if they could order a tikka t3 with the full length barrel un-cut and factory threaded,they told me other customers have asked the same but they wont do it i was told to get the un-threaded one and get a gunsmith to thread it but was told this would void the warranty.

Because the barrels are too small a diameter at full length to thread with the now preferred M14x1
Brownings (at least in .223) have been the same for a few years now.

Neil. :)

Because the barrels are too small a diameter at full length to thread with the now preferred M14x1

I haven't seen the threaded Tikka's but this explanation is the first that came to mind.~Muir

A 30-06 is not any better than a 308 when it has a 20 inch barrel you would think rifle makers would make barrel lengths to suit

Well I have a Sako, same barrel, it's 22 7/16th and had it screw cut and re-proofed. As to voiding the warranty, they can say it, but I doubt very much they would get away with it. Possibly if the tip of the barrel blew apart maybe, but if it was the bolt blew apart or the trigger group fell apart no chance.

As I understand it the shorter barrels are to reduce OAL when used with moderators, that's all. I had this discussion not four weeks ago with a Sako representative at the Beretta Gallery. . . who knows?!

as deer man say's, main reason is length of rifle including mod. Most rifles that get threaded aftermarket are also shortened. I recon Tikka for example is just following the trend to go 20" if using a mod. I once had a 26" barrel + 7" mod..... impossible to carry barrel down without poking into the mud.
Have 16" on my 22 which is ideal. 20" is ok.
edi

Well I have a Sako, same barrel, it's 22 7/16th and had it screw cut and re-proofed. As to voiding the warranty, they can say it, but I doubt very much they would get away with it. Possibly if the tip of the barrel blew apart maybe, but if it was the bolt blew apart or the trigger group fell apart no chance.

As I understand it the shorter barrels are to reduce OAL when used with moderators, that's all. I had this discussion not four weeks ago with a Sako representative at the Beretta Gallery. . . who knows?!

Hi could you tell me what the diameter off your barrel is at the end and what thread you put on it,why did you go to the extra expense with it you felt the shorter factory barrel was to short for the caliber you had chosen.

Hi could you tell me what the diameter off your barrel is at the end and what thread you put on it,why did you go to the extra expense with it you felt the shorter factory barrel was to short for the caliber you had chosen.

The 22 7/16" barrel is 0.633" before the thread then a 1/2"UNF. The calibre is 6.5x55 therefore shortening the barrel even more (to 20") would compromise the performance further. Optimum for that cartridge being 23/24".

The 22 7/16" barrel is 0.633" before the thread then a 1/2"UNF. The calibre is 6.5x55 therefore shortening the barrel even more (to 20") would compromise the performance further. Optimum for that cartridge being 23/24".

Your right about barrel length in the 6.5 x55 20 is too short you would think sako and tikka would be aware of this and offer longer barrels

Your right about barrel length in the 6.5 x55 20 is too short you would think sako and tikka would be aware of this and offer longer barrels

This is interesting. Do you know how much velocity a 6.5x55 would lose from, say, a 24 to a 22 to a 20 inch barrel?

In my experience barrels are most often shortened when a mod is attached to offset some of the overall lengh increase when one is installed. Just trying to make the rifle a bit less awkward.

SS

I shoot a 21 inch M03
my stalking freind shoots an 18 inch M03

at no point have eigher of us ever felt we could do with more barrel length at stalking distances

if I was shooting out to 400+yards maybe I could see a benifit

This is interesting. Do you know how much velocity a 6.5x55 would lose from, say, a 24 to a 22 to a 20 inch barrel?

Well I'm afraid I won't be cutting my barrel down inch by inch for any real world results! However it appears from loads (140gr) I've made with many different powders against published loads with test barrels of 24 inches I could be losing about 80'ish f/s (therefore 50'ish f/s per inch). My loads run at about 2,650 which may give only 2,500 in a 20". I can't check this at the moment so it is a bit of guestimating!

Last edited:
My sako 6.5x55 has the 22.75in barrel and I had it threaded m14x1 without having to shorten it.
My mate has same rifle with the 20in barrel.
We did test the speed of 2 different loads in each rifle and there was a loss of 50fps in one load and only 15fps in the other with the shorter barrel.
Another mate has the 20in barrel version as well and he shoots a lot of reds with it every year.
A 20 inch barrel works well in 6.5x55.

My sako 6.5x55 has the 22.75in barrel and I had it threaded m14x1 without having to shorten it.
My mate has same rifle with the 20in barrel.
We did test the speed of 2 different loads in each rifle and there was a loss of 50fps in one load and only 15fps in the other with the shorter barrel.
Another mate has the 20in barrel version as well and he shoots a lot of reds with it every year.
A 20 inch barrel works well in 6.5x55.

Most 6.5 x55 with a 20 inch barrel with factory ammo you will be lucky to get 2400fps .what fps are you getting

Most 6.5 x55 with a 20 inch barrel with factory ammo you will be lucky to get 2400fps .what fps are you getting

Im reloading so im getting 2750fps with 129 grain bullets, I could drive them faster but im happy with the accuracy and speed of this load.
One of my mates is getting 2900fps with the same bullet with a 20 inch barrel with no pressure signs.
I do think you have to reload for the 6.5x55 to get the best from it.
If I wanted a 20 inch barrel gun and only wanted to use factory ammo I would get a 7mm08 or 308.

Im reloading so im getting 2750fps with 129 grain bullets, I could drive them faster but im happy with the accuracy and speed of this load.
One of my mates is getting 2900fps with the same bullet with a 20 inch barrel with no pressure signs.
I do think you have to reload for the 6.5x55 to get the best from it.
If I wanted a 20 inch barrel gun and only wanted to use factory ammo I would get a 7mm08 or 308.

Hi i do reload for tikka t3 with a 20 inch barrel using rl17 the best i can get is 2650fps with 140 grain sst i am happy with and good accuracy but the 6.5 x55 performs better with a 24 inch barrel. I really don't know how you're friend is getting 2900fps what powder is he using.

Hi i do reload for tikka t3 with a 20 inch barrel using rl17 the best i can get is 2650fps with 140 grain sst i am happy with and good accuracy but the 6.5 x55 performs better with a 24 inch barrel. I really don't know how you're friend is getting 2900fps what powder is he using.

He is using vit n160.

Back