Advice on FAC application

astrostu

Hi all, so as I said on my intro post I'm brand new to the deer stalking side of shooting and I'm trying to get up and running.
OK so basically I want to get in to deer stalking and I'm just wondering the best way to go about it? I already have a shotgun certificate so I'm sort of aware of the application process. Although I've heard the FAC is more in depth and can be trickier to obtain.
I currently do not have a permission to shoot on any land but that's not to say I won't in the future. I will more than likely start of going on payed stalks a few times a year and then when (If) I get my FAC may start to look for a permission.
Would stalking a few times a year be considered a "Good reason" by the police to own a rifle?
As I said I'm new to all this and just looking for guidance before I apply and don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

If yo have a receipt for a future stalk you have booked, that is a "good reason" to acquire a deer calibre rifle. FEOs don't like it, but there's nothing they can do about it.

This can be a controversial bit of advice, but if you're new to stalking, then as well as doing what you've described above (which is all very sensible), I would do DSC1, which gives you a fairly broad on-paper overview of the basics of deer and stalking them. Some people get strangely furious about the existence of the two DSCs, but I enjoyed doing mine and found it a useful start. No substitute for experience, but a nice complement to it.

Stalking as a guest, even if you are paying is "good reason", however the police can be awkward if you are new to shooting, especially in respect of deer legal centrefires. The sort of things that you can do to weigh things in your favour in addition to booking some stalks are to join a rifle club with a centrefire range and qualify for DSC 1, neither of these are mandatory though.

atb Tim

Stalking as a guest, even if you are paying is "good reason", however the police can be awkward if you are new to shooting, especially in respect of deer legal centrefires. The sort of things that you can do to weigh things in your favour in addition to booking some stalks are to join a rifle club with a centrefire range and qualify for DSC 1, neither of these are mandatory though.

atb Tim

Sound advise.:thumb:

atb Tim

+1
I am currently awaiting my FLO decision on a variation for my rifles to be used for stalking ( second attempt after following wrong advice from them last year).
I took DSC1 and booked with a very reputable outfit before applying again. This time round the questions asked were more about how I would acquire stalking without a lease or permission. I told them that I intended to use the same outfitter to learn the ropes before contemplating obtaining a lease, which seemed to satisfy them. Only time will tell.

Regardless of your FAC I'd get started ASAP with some paid stalks. There are plenty of good guys out there and there is plenty to learn and experience in that way that doesn't require you having your own rifle.

My first FAC application is in now but I've been stalking for a few years already relying on paid stalks and help from the local deer management group which I joined (albeit a non-active member as far as deer control goes!). I've managed to shoot a few deer, done some home butchery, learned loads and passed my level 1. Obvioulsy none of those things are essential to getting your FAC but I'm hoping it will make the process a bit easier...

Plus I have limited cash to spare for this so decided I'd rather get some stalking done than spend time saving for a rifle I had nowhere to use! Suppose it depends on your priorities - getting the rifle(s!) or doing the stalking. Now I want to do both!! :D

You will certainly get plenty of good advice (and a fair few opinions...) on here!

Andy

Thoroughly agree with andyf.

Get some stalking done to ensure that it is actually something you would like learn about.

If your wish is to learn about and do some stalking, you do not actually need a rifle until you have somewhere to shoot of your own. Your money would be better spent on stalking than on a rifle.

If your wish is to own a rifle, either join a club range or book some stalks to show good reason.

Alan

Regardless of your FAC I'd get started ASAP with some paid stalks. There are plenty of good guys out there and there is plenty to learn and experience in that way that doesn't require you having your own rifle.

My first FAC application is in now but I've been stalking for a few years already relying on paid stalks and help from the local deer management group which I joined (albeit a non-active member as far as deer control goes!). I've managed to shoot a few deer, done some home butchery, learned loads and passed my level 1. Obvioulsy none of those things are essential to getting your FAC but I'm hoping it will make the process a bit easier...

Plus I have limited cash to spare for this so decided I'd rather get some stalking done than spend time saving for a rifle I had nowhere to use! Suppose it depends on your priorities - getting the rifle(s!) or doing the stalking. Now I want to do both!! :D

You will certainly get plenty of good advice (and a fair few opinions...) on here!

Andy
Thanks Andy and fingers crossed for your FAC I noticed in your profile your from Glasgow and was wondering if you could name a few good places to take payed stalking with. I'm currently looking at stalking school near Elgin. They do a one day introduction to stalking for £125 you heard of them?

Thanks again
Stuart

Thanks everyone for your replies and pms very informative.
I think I will go ahead with getting some payed stalking under my belt first and get a wee record of experience to build a case for FAC.
I've also heard you need to state what you will use your rifle for and this will be marked on your certificate, and this is all you can use it for and thats it.
Eg. If you say shooting deer with . 243 on payed stalking... That's all you can do? Eg. No shooting on permissions or other pest species. Is this true?

Andy
I should have said I live in grangemouth...

I'm currently looking at stalking school near Elgin. They do a one day introduction to stalking for £125 you heard of them?

Yes - John and Andy. Good guys. On here as Morayoutfitting. I've been stalking with them a number of times and they both work very hard to get you deer.

They also run regular DSC1 courses.

Eg. If you say shooting deer with . 243 on payed stalking... That's all you can do? Eg. No shooting on permissions or other pest species. Is this true?

Your application should read in the ''reason'' box, ''deer and any other lawful quarry'' ,that's it.

Would stalking a few times a year be considered a "Good reason" by the police to own a rifle?

Stuart

Depends where you are - Home Office guidance allows each Police area to define their own version of "good reason".

I am in the same situation as you - many uears shotgun holder and did hold a FAC for a 22 rimfire until I gave it up 8 years ago. I have had an informal chat with my FAO and he tells me a few purchased sta;ls are not enough and I will need permission over land.

I might have a farmer that is prepared to give vouch for a permission without actually letting me shoot the land but if that doesnt work out I am prepared to argue my case

"I have had an informal chat with my FAO and he tells me a few purchased stalks are not enough and I will need permission over land."

Slider to paraphrase a view often expressed by another site member the informal verbal advise given is worth the paper it was written on. Forget about cosy chats and submit your application and if it is refused ask them to put the reason why in writing for your consideration and in order for you to seek advice from your shooting organisation. You often find that when this happens objections suddenly disappear and paid stalking as per the guidance is quite acceptable.

"I have had an informal chat with my FAO and he tells me a few purchased stalks are not enough and I will need permission over land."

Slider to paraphrase a view often expressed by another site member the informal verbal advise given is worth the paper it was written on. Forget about cosy chats and submit your application and if it is refused ask them to put the reason why in writing for your consideration and in order for you to seek advice from your shooting organisation. You often find that when this happens objections suddenly disappear and paid stalking as per the guidance is quite acceptable.

+1

I can speak from experience as i've got my deer caliber rifle over paid stalks. No questions asked and got deer and AOLQ on my ticket (open)

Thank you and I do plan to submit anyway. I was surprised by this advice from the FAO as I have known him in both a professional and person basis for many years. If fact he often contacts me about other peoples shotgun applications as I am secretary of a local clay club! (twice over the years he has had applications from people claiming to be members that i have never heard off!)

Hi Stuart
You wont go wrong with Moray outfitters. I did my dsc with them, and had a friend recently do their introduction course, which he very much enjoyed. After the course Andy took him out on a stalk, in their estate, and though he saw a few deer none were daft enough to hang about for him.

They have good ground both in moray and up in caithness, which is excellent. I have plenty of ground locally, but make the effort to get to Caithness a couple of times a year to stalk with John for red deer on the open moorlands. I dont think we have ever blanked up there, so that is well worth booking as well.
Contact Andy or John, they will give you far better advice than i can

dave

Thanks Andy and fingers crossed for your FAC  I noticed in your profile your from Glasgow and was wondering if you could name a few good places to take payed stalking with. I'm currently looking at stalking school near Elgin. They do a one day introduction to stalking for £125 you heard of them?

Thanks again
Stuart

Not used Stalking School myself but you've already got some good feedback on them! I've been several times with Colin Lockerbie (SolwayStalker on here). He's in Dumfries and Galloway with plenty of good ground near New Abbey or up by St John's Town of Dalry. I've only been roe stalking so far and shot my first buck with him (and the second and fourth!) but he also has reds available at Dalry and I'm planning to treat myself to a trip after stags next year. I've always had a great experience with Colin and he's got a good reputation on here.

Andy

I am currently awaiting my FLO decision on a variation for my rifles to be used for stalking ( second attempt after following wrong advice from them last year).
I took DSC1 and booked with a very reputable outfit before applying again. This time round the questions asked were more about how I would acquire stalking without a lease or permission........

John T

This is smoke and mirrors from your licensing authority. From what you have posted you have already established "good reason" to acquire and possess firearms which are of a "deer legal" calibre. Whether these firearms were initially granted for, example, target shooting or fox has no bearing on varying the conditions within your FAC for the lawful shooting of deer, therefore, you do not have to satisfy the "good reason" element again by justifying how you would undertake deer stalking without a lease or permission or providing evidence or receipts of deer stalking on a fee paying basis.

Firearms Licensing - Guidance to Police 2015 clearly states that:-

13.32 An applicant who wishes to shoot deer should name land which has the likelihood of the appropriate deer species being present, and an invitation,
booking or authority to shoot. This is not necessary where a person already holds a deer legal rifle for an established reason.

As the lead on Firearms & Explosive Licensing Working Group, Hampshire Police CC Andy Marsh and his Firearms Licensing Management Team had significant input and dialogue with the Home Office in compiling and publishing the new guidance, therefore they should be leading by example.

Back