Help, with a set of lee 38 special/ .357 mag

samIOW

Hello,

Just wondered if anybody can give me any information about getting an adjuster for powder through expander die, I purchase the 3 die set second hand last year but didn't realise that it was missing, Is there anywhere that I could get a replacement or do I have to buy a complete new Expander die??
I am a complete Novice who is trying to start reloading.

Thanks for any help.

Sam

Unless they have changed them, you charge the case through the expander as if it were a funnel. In fact, IIRC, the Lee funnel attaches directly to the die to assist in this. I think Lee's Auto Disc measure also attaches to the die but, of course, you'd need to buy that accessory. If you do, also buy the micrometer slide to use instead of the pre set discs. It allows more latitude in loading.~Muir

Hi Muir,

Thanks for your reply, I don't have a lee Press, I have the Rock Chucker supreme press which I was hoping to use it in, If not I might Buy the Rcbs 3 die set? Just that I bought them a t a reasonable price.

Hi, sam,

I'm not sure about what you mean by 'adjuster' for the powder through die.
If you are referring to the hexagonal aluminium part that screws into the top of the die I can help you out there as I have a couple of spares. I'm just across the Solent from you so could post or meet up if this helps.

John

Hi, sam,

I'm not sure about what you mean by 'adjuster' for the powder through die.
If you are referring to the hexagonal aluminium part that screws into the top of the die I can help you out there as I have a couple of spares. I'm just across the Solent from you so could post or meet up if this helps.

John

Hi John,

Many thanks for your Kind offer,

Yes that would be great if I pm you with my address and you can tell me what I owe you.

Regards,

Sam

If you do, also buy the micrometer slide to use instead of the pre set discs. It allows more latitude in loading.~Muir
I'd have to disagree with that for pistol size loads, the micrometer slide is very iffy with small amounts of powder, even Lee say not to use it with certain powders for loads under about 6gr (.4cc)

I used one with both TiteGroup and Nobel GM3 and found it very inconsistent.

Lee Charge Bar Powder Measure Review

Hi Muir,

Thanks for your reply, I don't have a lee Press, I have the Rock Chucker supreme press which I was hoping to use it in, If not I might Buy the Rcbs 3 die set? Just that I bought them a t a reasonable price.

Just to put your mind at rest Sam as you did say that you were a total novice, the Lee dies are perfectly compatible with a RCBS press. Nearly all the reloading companies standardised on the 7/8 x14 thread size for dies years ago making dies totally interchangeable so no need to replace an excellent press with one of a lesser quality. There shouldn't be much wrong with the dies either other than you are missing a crucial part that is easily replaced.

Just to put your mind at rest Sam as you did say that you were a total novice, the Lee dies are perfectly compatible with a RCBS press. Nearly all the reloading companies standardised on the 7/8 x14 thread size for dies years ago making dies totally interchangeable so no need to replace an excellent press with one of a lesser quality. There shouldn't be much wrong with the dies either other than you are missing a crucial part that is easily replaced.

Thanks for that 8x57 everybody is so helpful here,

I did realize that they would fit the RCBS, All I meant was I thought the replacement missing nut would cost more than I paid for the set, Hence me saying about buying a RCBS set . :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for that 8x57 everybody is so helpful here,

I did realize that they would fit the RCBS, All I meant was I thought the replacement missing nut would cost more than I paid for the set, Hence me saying about buying a RCBS set . :lol::lol::lol:

As Muir said earlier - If you are using an auto disc measure, it fits right on top of the die and you don't need the hollow aluminium nut, I guess thats why the nut got separated from the die.

I see you have a Rock Chucker, a good solid press, but if you're going to be loading more than a few straight walled pistol cases I would think about getting a Lee turret press too.

I'm not a lover of turret presses for full size rifle rounds but for pistol/gallery rifle then the Lee turret, Lee carbide dies and a Lee auto-disc measure is hard to beat.

Thanks for that 1066, I will certainly give it some thought a little later on, Once I have manage to do a few with the Rock Chucker.

As Muir said earlier - If you are using an auto disc measure, it fits right on top of the die and you don't need the hollow aluminium nut, I guess thats why the nut got separated from the die.

I see you have a Rock Chucker, a good solid press, but if you're going to be loading more than a few straight walled pistol cases I would think about getting a Lee turret press too.

I'm not a lover of turret presses for full size rifle rounds but for pistol/gallery rifle then the Lee turret, Lee carbide dies and a Lee auto-disc measure is hard to beat.

Thanks for that 1066, I will certainly give it some thought a little later on, Once I have manage to do a few with the Rock Chucker.

You really won't have any trouble - The .38/357 is the perfect round to get you started and the Rock Chucker will do the job admirably.

Near the Solent? Persomally, then, and not very helpful, I'd tie a piece of string round those Lee dies, whirl them round your head a let go when there approximately in the direction of the Solent. Best place for them IMHO.

However if you are keeping them it helps to make up a dummy bulleted but empty primer pocket round as a "set up" aid. So when you dismount the third die..the seater crimper...you can re-set it by just screwing it down onto your dummy round.

My dislike of Lee dies is the lack of a lockable lock ring. As with such you can set up the dies once and then you donct have to re-set them when you dismount them out of the press.

The Rockchucker is a fine press. Pretty much the best. You've bought well. It will serve you for years.

Near the Solent? Persomally, then, and not very helpful, I'd tie a piece of string round those Lee dies, whirl them round your head a let go when there approximately in the direction of the Solent. Best place for them IMHO.

However if you are keeping them it helps to make up a dummy bulleted but empty primer pocket round as a "set up" aid. So when you dismount the third die..the seater crimper...you can re-set it by just screwing it down onto your dummy round.

My dislike of Lee dies is the lack of a lockable lock ring. As with such you can set up the dies once and then you donct have to re-set them when you dismount them out of the press.

The Rockchucker is a fine press. Pretty much the best. You've bought well. It will serve you for years.

They might well yet end up in the Solent, all depends on how I get on with them, I could try and make them lockable which would only mean drilling and putting in a grub screw? Thanks for your input though. :D :D:D

Nothing wrong with Lee dies, the carbide pistol dies are very good indeed. If you want to have them locked there's a couple of ways to do it with the RCBS press.

1. Buy a few "lockable" locking rings from Hornady or RCBS etc.

2. Buy a Hornady Lock & Load bushing and adaptors and fit it to your Rock Chucker, these are very easy to use, the die inserts and locks with a small turn.

I've added a P.Cat 2 primer catcher and the In-Line Fabrication case ejector to my Rock Chucker, certainly speeds up resizing cases :)

Last edited:
Quite agree Phaedra. In fact the Lee locking rings with the "O" ring are used by some benchrest shooter with the idea that the slight flexibility of the O ring allows the die to self centre in the press and so making more concentric ammo. Locking rings from other manufactures are easily available and all fit, or you could easily fit another Lee locking ring upside down and nip them together, then you get the best of both worlds.

Anyone who has loaded quantities of straight walled pistol cases for pistol shooting will know just why the Lee carbide dies are so popular.

Hello,

Just wondered if anybody can give me any information about getting an adjuster for powder through expander die, I purchase the 3 die set second hand last year but didn't realise that it was missing, Is there anywhere that I could get a replacement or do I have to buy a complete new Expander die??
I am a complete Novice who is trying to start reloading.

Thanks for any help.

Sam

I'm guessing that you've bought them through the site. If this is the relevant post (I could be wrong to level the finger at the supplier and sometimes am ... :rolleyes: ...) then the missing bit should have been mentioned in the Ad.

Sold: Lee carbide 3 die set 38sp/357 mag carbide (90510)

IMO it's best to buy Lee dies new rather than used. There's only a few quid diff at Kranks for new guaranteed 24hr delivery. It seems to be the spanner work that challenges a lot of users, and common to see a basically good product spoilt because it's viewed as a budget brand.

I've got many die-sets & brands, but the improved Lee range is now the best for my uses. What's irksome is that the full inventory isn't available in the UK, and Lee Precision keep trimming the range. One sees SD contributors from the U.S. talk airily about getting a replacement XYZ part from the factory, but over here the spare parts service for Lee, Lyman, and RCBS dies is dire.:-|:mad:

Yes. If have the skill and kit to do it right you could drill and tap the ring. But remember to put a protector...a flattened lead shot, a small disc of plastic...in the hole to go between the front end of the new lock screw and the threads on the die body.

I differ in my view on the Lee rings centre-ing the dies as the sizer die should be "squared" on the press by setting it up, for carbide pistol, with a slim washer shim placed on top of the shellholder.

The shim...a thin washer is good...both squares the die off and gives the small gap that carbide dies require to protect the insert from damage from being touched by the shellholder. A 1p piece is a bit too deep and a bit too fiddly!

In defence of Lee dies the rifle factory crimp are excellent. I'm an RCBS man since I started in 1976. Was at Leeds University 1976-79 so could just drive to John Longstaff in Pudsey. But now for rifle ONLY because of the carbide sizer ball option I am trying Redding.

Odd our prejudices. Other than the moulds never really "took" to Lyman either. Nor Pacific nor CH. And would't give house room to NFDS stuff. Odd our prejudices.

But the gold standard of presses is still the Rockchucker. Although I sold mine here to get an Aussie Simplex (a Lyman clone) as my RCBS...had it from new in 1976...didn't have as much window height or gape as I wanted once I went from .303 to .270. I think the modern Rockchuckers have got a bigger gape now?

Last edited:
Thanks for everybody For your Comments. I really like Phaedra comment about

" 1. Buy a few "lockable" locking rings from Hornady or RCBS etc.

2. Buy a Hornady Lock & Load bushing and adaptors and fit it to your Rock Chucker, these are very easy to use, the die inserts and locks with a small turn."

Seems a easy way of solving the lock ring problem.

Just like to say a very BIG thank you to JohnT who was kind enough to send me the missing nut for the powder thru Die.

You are a star mate.

Back