PPU Ammo - Pulling Bullets

Tom D

I have 4 boxes of 7-08 ppu 140gn ammo that I bought optimistically thinking it would be good, it only shoots 2" groups whereas federal fusion is 3/4 inch. If I pull the bullets and reload, should I re-weigh / replace the charges as well?

Use them for off-hand practice.
I had thought about that but TBH how do you know if you have shot a nice group when your ammo is so far out? I'd rather re-load them and know that any errors were down to me.

IF it was me I'd weigh the first 20 or so to establish the average, then replace the powder based on that...or even do it for all the powder from the 80 rounds - weigh as one batch & divide by 80.
Not sure how wide the variubles will be as far as powder charge goes - it may be an interesting experiment

You could pull them and reseat your chosen bullet or you could go the whole hog and re weigh the powder as well.

A friend of mine had some issues similar to those posted, He borrowed a bullet puller from me & just moved them about a bit ( seating depth wise), He ended very much happier with some tightened groupings.

It is much easier to seat the bullet a bit deeper in the press then pulling the bullets. Seating the bullet deeper in the press breaks the bond formed between bullet and case hence the bullet is then easier to pull.

Sadly due to the stupidity of our laws using expanding ammunition is not allowed for practice.

Now changing the bullets seating depth probably will change the grouping of the ammunition. If it's in the desired direction will be a matter for experimentation whilst "Zeroing" the new point of impact the change will make ;) .

Back