Pulsar N550

bornfree

Got a n550 18 months ago and fitted it on my 243 tikka used it for 6 months no problems then fitted it on my cz 22wmr and it stopped working while i was zeroing it.sent it back they sent me a new one had it on the cz for a month then put it back on the 243 no problems for 11 months.now just put it on a 223 tikka and guess what it packed up while zeroing.just coincidence? or do they not like the recoil from smaller calibers.

Hello.

Recoil is not an issue, certainally until you get up to 6000 joules circa 300 Win Mag territory.

When you say packed up what is the issue you have experienced?

Did it turn off after a shot etc or does it simply not operate.

Bit more info and I bet I can solve the issue if my hunch is correct.

Regards

Paul

Hi paul

It started flickering after i shot.then it went blank screen after another shot i turned it off and back on it came on and after one more shot it went blank and now stays blank grey screen.the last one done exactly the same thing.

Hi,

Ok you need to reinstall the firmware and this will solve the issue. Seen this happen a couple of times, normally down to resonance from a moderator, however sometimes it just needs a major reboot, and the firmware install will fix it.

Speak to the dealer you bought it from and they should offer it as a free of charge service....we do to our Pulsar customers.

It takes 5 min in store, or if they know their stuff they can arrange it remotely for you.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for that i will let my dealer know.the last one got sent back to thomas jacks and replaced. also is it possible to do anything about the focus range when i first got this unit it would focus clearly on a 100 yard target now its down to 50-60 yards.

Last edited:
HOk you need to reinstall the firmware and this will solve the issue. Seen this happen a couple of times, normally down to resonance from a moderator, however sometimes it just needs a major reboot, and the firmware install will fix it.

Speak to the dealer you bought it from and they should offer it as a free of charge service....we do to our Pulsar customers.

It takes 5 min in store, or if they know their stuff they can arrange it remotely for you.l

If, and I do say "if", the firmware is becoming corrupted somehow due to "resonance from a moderator" or other such improbable mechanism, and this is a known problem, then simply re-flashing the firmware is not addressing the root cause.

To happen once might just be bad luck. Twice would cause me to lose all confidence. To now learn that this is a known problem and that a supplier thinks that "it just needs a major reboot, and the firmware install will fix it" and that doing it free of charge is somehow a "service" to the customer would not encourage me.

I took it back to my RFD today and told him about reinstalling the firmware and rebooting,and as he is a bit old school he said i had better send it back for you{his idea of rebooting would have something to do with new soles on your hunters} anyway i was very surprised to get a message about an hour later from him saying the sight was fixed.i went and picked it up this afternoon and sure enough it was working.he had left it on his bench and someone brought an air rifle in for him to look at, he knocked the pulsar off the bench with the barrel it hit the floor he picked it up thinking he'd wrecked it but not only no damage it was working.now going to zero it fingers crossed.

Hi Sharpie,

We have found on old model Digisights, updating to the latest firmware resolved the issue some people had with the screen going blank.

With regards to the moderator resonance, after speaking with tech dept I was told it is a known issue that can rarely occur with all electronic devices i was told by Pulsars tech that resonance can effect electronics and may cause a device to shut down.

Above my head but what i do know is the firmware update on old model N550 to new software has fixed many white screen issues that have occured, and I have done a handful here and fixed the issue immediately.

Hiren the previous tech at Pulsar UK sorted a dealer manual and firmware for Pulsar dealers, so most IT competent dealers should be able to fix the white screen issue permanently with a firmware update on old model N550s, but out of hundreds sold its a rare issue.

The newer model N550's already had the firmware update so only the first N550's really.

Personally I have only ever had heard of the odd N550 turning off with use with a moderator, however I have seen several with the white screen issue that was fixed with the firmware update to the new software in seconds here at SC HQ.

Hope that clears it up.

Last edited:
Bornfree, id get it returned to your dealer, and sent back to Pulsar UK.

Jamie there is very good and will resolve it quickly for you with either a repair or replacement (assuming its still in warranty)

regards

Paul

Hi Sharpie,

We have found on old model Digisights, updating to the latest firmware resolved the issue some people had with the screen going blank.

The newer model N550's already had the firmware update so only the first N550's really.

That makes perfect sense. Didn't realise that you were suggesting a firmware update, rather than just a re-flash.

With regards to the moderator resonance, after speaking with tech dept I was told it is a known issue that can rarely occur with all electronic devices i was told by Pulsars tech that resonance can effect electronics and may cause a device to shut down.

Hmm, lets just leave it that I am sceptical about that, to put it mildly. I'll explain my qualifications and background by PM if you wish.

Its great that it seems the UK distribution network and importer can sort out this sort of problem quickly.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but real life has been occurring meanwhile.

Hmm, lets just leave it that I am sceptical about that

Yeah it gets knocked on the floor and works... dry joint somewhere. Typical 'blame the software' reaction.

Oh yeah "moderator resonance" :rofl:

They replaced my unit with a brand new one.and it focuses at a greater distance than the last one so i'am happy.

Back