Tikka Mag Length

Sabian223

Hi All,
Has anyone tried using a 30-06 long action magazine with 243/260/308 in their Tikka t3's?
Ive got a new 260 rem on the way and i know that the magazine length is going to be an issue. I like the idea of upgrading to an accuracy international mag system but it will only give me enough space in the mag to load to 2.82" Oal which is a big expense for an extra 0.02". I'm wondering if using a long action magazine ie a 30-06 mag would work and modify the bolt stop?

Any info would be great

All the best

Dave

The internal length of my 10 shot AICS which should be the same as the 5 shot is 73.4mm or 2.89".
I haven't tried 308 out of 30-06 mag yet. Might work. Just need to get the bolt catch re-work or changed so that the bolt can travel back far enough.
Best is to borrow a mag to try out.

edi

Many guys in Finland use 30-06 mag and bolt stop, or modify the original bolt stop. Haven't heard any complaints. I don't have personal experience.

My was a T3 6.5 x 55 re-barrelled to a 30-06 Ackley. Bullets seated to jus under mag , no problems what-so-ever and superb accuracy. ...

Apologies just re-read and your asking something different than what I replied I think

Ive changed my bottom metal + mag to a long action in my T3 6-5x55 to get the bullet lenght i wanted, and no problems at all
using AICS mags

Ive changed my bottom metal + mag to a long action in my T3 6-5x55 to get the bullet lenght i wanted, and no problems at all
using AICS mags

Hi Gunner,

I'm looking to get a longer mag for higher OAL so considering swapping for an AICS system on my T3 lite.

What bottom metal did you use? Was it a drop fit into the stock?
What AICS mag did you use? Any benefits apart from the longer OAL?
Did you have to modify your bolt stop?

Thanks!

PS I've got a 308

Igot my bottom metal from a bloke on ebay i think he was called jabawonski or something like that, a copy of the aics one (around a £100).
Ihad the long action and then bought the 300 win mag from AICS and this gives you plenty of room for reaching the lands if you home load.
All the bottom metals need fitting as the mags are slightly wider it wants between 1-2 mm fettled away from the stock to fit,and i never touched the bolt stop.
I think its worth the change.
Cheers

Hi All,
Has anyone tried using a 30-06 long action magazine with 243/260/308 in their Tikka t3's?
Ive got a new 260 rem on the way and i know that the magazine length is going to be an issue. I like the idea of upgrading to an accuracy international mag system but it will only give me enough space in the mag to load to 2.82" Oal which is a big expense for an extra 0.02". I'm wondering if using a long action magazine ie a 30-06 mag would work and modify the bolt stop?

Any info would be great

All the best

Dave

I use a factory standard long action magazine in my 260 T3, along with a long action bolt stop. it feeds perfectly and allows the bullets to be seated out as far as possible.
The medium action bolt stop can easily be modified if you can't find a long one ro replace it.
BTW, the AICS magazines can have about IIRC 2.95" internal length by drilling out the plate at the front which seems largely unnecessary.

Last edited:
Probably reloads, as the .260 case's neck leaves a lot of the heavier bullets begging to be hung out past factory COAL specs...

Back