Sucked back into the Black-gun Vortex

Muir

Ah! It has happened. After abandoning military style "black guns" a couple of decades back, I find myself back in the ruckus. I got a smoking good deal on a new DMPS LR-C, AR-10 .308 autoloader. I haven't shot it yet. When i do I'll post some pics. Ugly, functional, but reputably accurate....
Oh my.~Muir

have x2 steyrs ,a cz rimy ,and a browning semi auto s/g all black cant beat the dark side :D

Norma,
forgive me if i am wrong in assuming that you do not understand the meaning of "Black Rifles" it really does not have anything to do with colour, that is merely a visual observation of this type of firearm.:D

Ian.

Last edited:
Don't you have to be careful about putting it down at night? :D

Yeah. I was going to low-jack it to my GPS just in case!:D

I got even further into the pit today. I was talking about the new rifle with my dealer and mentioned that my partner was wanting one in 6.5 Creedmore with a 24" heavy stainless tube but didn't relish the 8 month wait and the premium price they command. "Really? I got one in the back!" was his reply. It seems that someone ordered it over a year ago and then disappeared. He pulled it out, brand new in it's fitted case, and the deal was struck. Now I have a match model AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmore as well-for a little while, at least.

When it rains it pours. :rolleyes: ~Muir

Yeah. I was going to low-jack it to my GPS just in case!:D

I got even further into the pit today. I was talking about the new rifle with my dealer and mentioned that my partner was wanting one in 6.5 Creedmore with a 24" heavy stainless tube but didn't relish the 8 month wait and the premium price they command. "Really? I got one in the back!" was his reply. It seems that someone ordered it over a year ago and then disappeared. He pulled it out, brand new in it's fitted case, and the deal was struck. Now I have a match model AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmore as well-for a little while, at least.

When it rains it pours. :rolleyes: ~Muir

Now remember the 6.5 is for Tim, did you spank the younger Lammer on the price? I wondered how long before you mentioned it on here :D

John

Now remember the 6.5 is for Tim, did you spank the younger Lammer on the price? I wondered how long before you mentioned it on here :D

John

Now John. When have I ever shown a lack of self control with regards to shooting guns left in my care?? Aren't your guns still unsullied awaiting your return?? Isn't that CZ 452 I bought on spec still sitting unfired in the box after three years? Despite the fact that you swore I'd have it "shot out" after a month? Honestly John! Such gall!! ~Muir

(besides.... I can't afford the price of a decent set of 6.5 Creedmore dies. And oh! I can't find the keys to the damned locks you put on your guns. Do you have it??)

A rifle of military design or a look a like of one.

Decades ago I used to see range days as a chore. Expending 100s of rounds through the L1A1 (FN FAL) on each occasion. Lord, how times change. I'd love to do that again for free!

Currently contemplating a STEYR AUG-Z .223 for £800. Known for a poor trigger but has accuracy. Could be my foxer!

My current .243 is black in synth.

sorry bit thick here also ,now i know what a black gun is lol ,learn something every day eh ,thankyou :oops:

A black gun. This is the 6.5 Creedmore DPMS. I got the dust from the carrying case all over the gun. ~Muir
DPMSCreedmore.jpg

Interestingly, the ballistics of the cartridge are quite similar to the 6.5x55.....

It's sooooo tempting :D

I started with a Sig Sauer 522 .22LR semi auto, then got a straight pull L1A1 SLR, and have just acquired a Southern Gun Company SSR-15 Speedmaster in .223 :oops:

Hi Muir

I got my first "Black Rifle" last year in the form of a HK MR 223, or as they are marketed in the US, a HK MR 556. I am very pleased with it, finally! When it arrived, I played around with it, field stripping it etc. Unfortunately, I did not assemble the bolt carrier carrectly and omitted to install the pin which holds the firing pin. Upon recharging the gun and dry firing, the spring for the firing pin was destroyed. I contacted my dealer in ZH and am still waiting, 16 months later for the German exporter to send replacement springs. Fortunately for me, I have a friend in the US, who sent me some replacement springs, after I bought some from HK Parts. Net!

I then decided to purchase an M4 but my dealer put me off the Norinco clones. He then produced a custom built M4 which has a Rock River Lower and a CMMG Upper; I cant remember if the barrel is 7 or 9 inches, but it is very short. It shoots brilliantly and has a 1:7 twist. I paid a small fortune for it, about 3 times the price of the Norinco, but I am very happy with it. I found out subsequently what it would have cost in the US to build...................sickened!

I have an HK MR308 on order, which is the HK's version of the AR10......if it shoots like the MR 223, I will be very happy indeed. I doubt I will get any more "Black Rifles" as I have covered every base as I see it. Also, my wife hates them as she thinks they look too aggressive or "war machines" as she calls them. The irony is, that she got me started in military syle weapons when she bought me a Sig 550 as a wedding present.....and a Sig P210.

All the best

Last edited:
Steyr Scout is actually more of my style of a black gun. Nice.
Conor: The Trading Post I bought the DPMS guns from is also a Rock River dealer. I also know one of the production managers at Rock River but they didn't have the style of rifle I wanted and the DPMS, dollar for dollar, was a better deal. We have a large number of Government shooter come up here to quietly practice long range shooting and most of them carry DPMS as personal guns. That said, Rock River are indeed fine rifles but I'm sure you got pillaged when you ordered yours!

David: My last (previous) black gun was a L1A1 that I actually hunted with at one time. A classic.~Muir

Steyr Scout is actually more of my style of a black gun. Nice.
Conor: The Trading Post I bought the DPMS guns from is also a Rock River dealer. I also know one of the production managers at Rock River but they didn't have the style of rifle I wanted and the DPMS, dollar for dollar, was a better deal. We have a large number of Government shooter come up here to quietly practice long range shooting and most of them carry DPMS as personal guns. That said, Rock River are indeed fine rifles but I'm sure you got pillaged when you ordered yours!

David: My last (previous) black gun was a L1A1 that I actually hunted with at one time. A classic.~Muir

Pillaged is putting it politely! I appreciate that somebody in Switzerland put it together, after having bought the parts, but USD 4,000 for an AR15 is scandalous. They are not so popular over here as the SIG 550 rules supreme. Nevertheless I now have to listen to arguments as to which is more efficient, direct impingement or gas piston.................

I will post a picture shortly

Last edited:
Back