22 hornet or 223 for rabbit and fox

Slickshot

Hi all.. Selling my 17 hmr due to the affect of wind on those windy nights. Can't decided what to get 22 hornet or 223? I'm going to reload and need a cheap easy reload.. Just thinking 223 may be to much for rabbits.. Need help please guys.. Wot you all think? Cheers

I love my .223 and do use it on some crows and some rabbits, but it's a bit heavy-handed for rabbits, but great for fox.

have you thought about .204 Ruger?

get the good all rounder .222 you can head shoot rabbits no problem can drop charlie easely and can be used for roe deer in scotland onley 100fps difrence from 223 but longer neck on the .222 guves better acurace in my book

.223 Sako for me all day long. Charlie doesn't walk away and good enough 80-100 yard head shots on rabbit (doesn't leave much of the head in tact) use 55 grain balistic tips. In fairness never shot the .22 hornet
Wingy

and if you get a .222 brno fox, you and bewsher can set up a club based on finding 30mm rings for them! :p

TBH, .222, .223 are both good choices and are plentiful on the shelves so you can find a good deal somewhere - have a look at savage if you buy new - they're very nice! otherwise both the tikka's and the CZ's/BRNO's are excellent.

hi i got 22 hornet and 223.i shot rabbits and fox with both but you can shoot deer with 223.i love the hornet but 223 good all round .cheep to reload.my cz gives me sub inch at 100yard .:)

to be fair all you need to do with your HMR is restrict your shot distance when its particularly windy, going centerfire for rabbits assumes you don't shoot many as lets face it you really wouldn't want to be doing 100 shots a night through a centerfire bunny bashing. The effort to reload or the cost pf buying the ammo would cripple you.
So really it comes down to foxes and a few rabbits then I'd have the .223 every time, loads of guns about easy availability of ammo and a very nice foxing round. Rabbits well they can still then come under the phrase Ballistic test media if you really want to shoot some but for eating the last gun I'd go out with is a centerfire

The 22 Hornet is marginal even for fox! I used a 22 Hornet many years ago, two decades plus, to shoot rabbits.

Did only one ever headshot and misplaced the shot it took the rabbit's jaw off but didn't kill it. Fortunately we had a dog so it was quickly gathered and then dispatched. But no I would consider ONLY the 223 or, as others say, the 222 for a fox rifle. Plus the added benefit of being "useful" on smaller deer such as muntjac.

However as said also if you centre a rabbit with a 223 there won't likely be much left of it! Did it once and the front leg was found about three feet from the back leg and the rest of the rabbit never was found.

Last edited:
The 22 Hornet is marginal even for fox!
Sorry mate, have to disagree.
The Hornet is great on foxes. I have shot more than I can count with my Various K Hornets over the years, as well as quite a few animals significantly bigger.
A hornet is a great round on all small game. It is superseded by the 222, 223, however I find hornets a Joy to shoot and own. Esp a Nice European manufactured rifle like an Anschutz or Weihrauch.
If your shot placement is such you cant kill a fox at normal shooting ranges (ie 150-200m) I doubt switching to a 223 is going to help you much.

anything can be a fox rifle.
the only variable is the distance at which you can comfortably and without concern, drop your fox.

they are not that tough!

The 22 Hornet is marginal even for fox! I used a 22 Hornet many years ago, two decades plus, to shoot rabbits.

I suppose if you try and shoot foxes at 300 plus yards it is marginal, personally I try to shoot them within 200 yards, not had a runner yet.
As for rabbits, well they all seem to die, nearly all are minus their heads, but as I don't eat heads, or like carrying the weight it's not a problem.

Neil. :)

Enfieldspares has upset the Horneters :)

+1 for hornet good for fox.

Hornady v-max 35 grain ballistic tip gives mv of 3100 fps and 729 ft lbs.
That is enough gun for foxes out to 150 yards.If you are looking to shoot them beyond that then I would look at .222 or .223.
If you need a quiet, efficient gun for foxes out to 150, .22 Hornet is the way to go.

fraser

Last edited:
The .22 Hornet and .223 are really not in the same class, albeit both .22 calibres. It is akin to comparing apples with pears; both fruits but very different.
I support the use of the Hornet out to 150 yards, further than that and I struggle with trajectory. It will kill foxes as far away as I can hit them, which is about 150 yds.
The Hornet is much quieter, particularly if used with a moderator, has no perceptible recoil but arguably is less flexible as it cannot lawfully be used for shooting the smaller species of deer. Richard Prior himself is on record as having shot numerous Roe with the Hornet before it became unlawful to do so. It is a very powerful round, in it's own right.
Much nonsense has been written about the Hornet being difficult to reload, you just need to be careful and gentle, particularly when seating the bullet. If you use the Hornet on rabbits and hit them in the body, then there is little to compare with the mess made by Hornet, .222 or .223. All make a big, bigger and biggest mess respectively.
I love my Hornet, but it is no .222 or .223 and I have owned, reloaded and used all three cartridges. Whatever you decide, enjoy your quest and the sport.

how does it compare in terms of noise?

I just got a .222 and to be honest I would say it is very close in terms of noise compared to my .22WMR with the same moderator

hornet rab.jpg A coupe of rabbits and My Weihrauch K Hornet. Good side of head to camera. :D
I used to use this rig for Hare shooting. All Hares were sold, so had to be head shot. The ones that were not were refered to as Donut Hares (They came with a hole in them and were worth not a cent to me). I could rely on the K Hornet out to 150+ m to regularly headshoot hares. And for those who have shot a few hares, they are not in the habbit of standing still.
I recomend the K chamber. I never gained any velocity increase but the cases were pretty hardy. I lost more than I wore out.
I would also suggest getting a Lee Collet die whatever way you go.
I Also have a 223 and just recently sold my HB Sako 222. Whilst both had their benefits the hornet was as much as I needed 98% of the time. As to any fox that came into sight, well they were dead as soon as they stood still long enough for me to plug them.
As a side note, I was Hare shooting with a mate who had a 22/250. He managed to wound a hare. I had to head shoot it and put it down after it bolted with guess what??? My 22 K Hornet.
BTW I have shot a few Rabbits with both the 222 and the 223. They work also.:D
My Point is chose the one that suits you, but dont be mislead by the negative crap people write about the hornet. It has been around since 1930, so it cant be that bad, can it?DSCF0295 (Large).JPGHeres My dad and another head shot rabbit with the K Hornet.

hhmmmmm been toying with getting a Hornet you guys have convinced me had a .223 but its a bit to much gun for small vermin dont forget our lads are shooting afghans with it

The .22 Hornet and .223 are really not in the same class, albeit both .22 calibres. It is akin to comparing apples with pears; both fruits but very different.
I support the use of the Hornet out to 150 yards, further than that and I struggle with trajectory. It will kill foxes as far away as I can hit them, which is about 150 yds.
The Hornet is much quieter, particularly if used with a moderator, has no perceptible recoil but arguably is less flexible as it cannot lawfully be used for shooting the smaller species of deer. Richard Prior himself is on record as having shot numerous Roe with the Hornet before it became unlawful to do so. It is a very powerful round, in it's own right.
Much nonsense has been written about the Hornet being difficult to reload, you just need to be careful and gentle, particularly when seating the bullet. If you use the Hornet on rabbits and hit them in the body, then there is little to compare with the mess made by Hornet, .222 or .223. All make a big, bigger and biggest mess respectively.
I love my Hornet, but it is no .222 or .223 and I have owned, reloaded and used all three cartridges. Whatever you decide, enjoy your quest and the sport.

You need to practice more or get a different load. With 34 or 35 grn bullets sighted 1.5" high at 100 yards I am smack on at 180. I have shot prairiedogs to 300 but prefer them under 250. Hornet won't kill a fox? It will kill coyote...~Muir

Its all to do with numbers.
whilst out, I see about fifteen rabbits to every fox.
so I take the hornet for the bulk of the shooting, knowing that when charlie comes along, I can do him as well.
Its the closest you can get to going out with two rifles.
neil

Back