Date for DSC1/DSC2 in Scotland

DJC

Hi is it ture that some time late this year you will have to have DSC1 to be able to shoot over the border

DJC

At this moment in time a Mandatory testing to competency standard lev1 or equivalent is on the card but before this happens the Private sector need to prove they can deliver a system acceptable to all. This is no were near happening even the price of an assessment cannot be set at fixed level. All the organisation even the collages are trying to rip people off this will not run well with the Scottish Government even if Basc Bds are sitting on the start up panels.
eg. Barony Collage two years ago assessment only £87. Today's price for the same assessment on your own ground £140. DJC don't worry the government will not let it happen while there is no set guide lines and BASC let people charge what they want for the Assessment.
The have dropped BP as of this year and that should tell people that the Scottish government have lost faith in what SNH was trying to do with the deer industry up here.

6 Pointer thanks for your reply i am being told on a daily baics that come oct 2013 you will not be able to shoot in scotland
i have done both level 1 and 2 but i think its just a money making project

Regards DJC

At this moment in time a Mandatory testing to competency standard lev1 or equivalent is on the card but before this happens the Private sector need to prove they can deliver a system acceptable to all. This is no were near happening even the price of an assessment cannot be set at fixed level. All the organisation even the collages are trying to rip people off this will not run well with the Scottish Government even if Basc Bds are sitting on the start up panels.
eg. Barony Collage two years ago assessment only £87 Dear David or will we start to call you Forrest, if you hadnt noticed everything has gone up in the last two years . Today's price for the same assessment on your own ground £140. DJC don't worry the government will not let it happen ""Really"" think again have a wee look at the amount of local authorities that have made there personnel redundant . while there is no set guide lines and BASC let people charge what they want for the Assessment.
The have dropped BP as of this year and that should tell people that the Scottish government have lost faith in what SNH was trying to do with the deer industry up here.

Best Practice has not been dropped ,it will continue to run the same as it always has .( here i thought you only had to punch information into a computer) I'll get the boxing gloves out.

I think it's important to consider that educational providers like the colleges have massive overheads. Obviously of the fees charged a training centre will be clearing a good percentage compared to actual costs for short courses whether it's DSC1, chainsaw, quadbike or whatever but you need to weigh this against the raw costs to keep and maintain the buildings, resources and staffing which are blindingly high!

You can though bring in an assessor you pay direct to test a bunch of lads anywhere and do your own admin to get a better deal compared to an assessment centre doing it all for you and providing their assessor. You need to be able to negotiate your position with numbers to get a good deal!

Last edited:
Paul i see what your saying but an increase of 40+% is not real on now is it. Can you brake down the cost for us please running our own day no class room of collage every thing done.
How much do BASC charge assesor etc

Not 'real' Davie agreed but unfortunately real world. I don't know what the costings break down for assessment only is but I know the office would set prices based loosely on what other providers charge. I just do the training and assist with the assessments and I'm not in the loop on that.

With courses I've done in the past privately both large and small for estates etc not run by the college, I've been able to get a better deal for the clients by organising it myself and hiring in an assessor. It then becomes a case of paying the assessor + college to register the paperwork as the assessment centre that then make sure it goes through an IV and EV before getting the all clear.

At the moment though in Scotland I honestly think though knowing the likelyhood of changes ahead that the value of having your DSC1 is far higher than the actual price you pay for it whether it's assessment only or full course. Obviously though us being Scottish and all we're tight and want the best price!

Paul i am not disagreeing about the need for LEV one in the future i am saying if we cannot self regulate and that includes cost then the SNH plan for a Mandatory test being decided in 2014 looks a real long way off. Greed will always rear its ugly head and it looks like the collages are following suit. It is time that BASC who run DMQ set a president and made the DSC Test/Assessment a one price test like most of the other tests in the country.
The training well thats down to what content you put in and will vary a great deal.
I feel if some one was to book a driving test (Mandatory if you want to drive a car) They would be outraged if the same test was 50% less or more somewhere else.

But that's life in the fast lane, price setting is a localised thing and while assessment costs her or there might seem OTT you have to realise that an assessment centre doesn't need to put on an assessment only if it's not going to be worth their while! Compared to yesteryear the price variation now here or there might seem a bit wild but full course Level 1 costs less that a days stalking with a pro stalker and a trophy cull.

I will remember that if i put you on a trophy buck lol

Supply and demand that's how it is take it or leave it not the way i believe a potential mandatory assessment should be run,
BASC should get there act together and deal with all these collages abusing there assessment ;).
Will it come in 2014 well that will be down to the government and for me the rush will die off when they realise how much spooning goes on at the upper end of the deer industry.

Paul has certainly summed things up really. Its a free market - from one assessment centre to another. BASC standardises its charges on all its courses, however we cannot control what others charge. I do everything I can from a DMQ point of view to keep the DMQ costs down to a minimum, however I am only one board member.

Peter

Peter good on you mate it is a shame because the scaremongering about needing to reach a certain competence is making some people put there price up far more than inflation.

Davie, that's not true man, we put our prices up because across the board we were selling ouselves really short compared to the other providers. All the office did was a quick seach and put our price into the middle of the other providers. The assessment only costs have always been about or a little less than half the full course price for the main providers. If you don't believe me just look at this from last year:
The Cost of DSC1

Paul what is not true????? Do you want me to get the bill out for the Assement day i ran with Barony collage.
£87 per person now £140 the explination is you want to match the others. So if the collage was happy with that price last year what has changed.

Might be an idea if Peter M Put up exactly how the system works and were all our hard earned money goes.
Because there is no second options Paul we all need to go through DMQ/BASC is it them.
My opinion is this for an assessment only day there should be a set price not a middle of the road price cheap price or expensive price but a clear transparent price. I would assume a government wanting its deer mangers to be described as competent would also want the assent to be set at a fair and proper price. ;)

I'm only the monkey mate but the office pitched their new price based on what other people were charging, and being part of SRUC now we can't do 'mates rates'. It's just business, don't hate the player!

At the moment the
1) DMQ certification fee is £35 per candidate
2) the BASC assessment centre fee is £55 per candidate
3) an assessment only is £140 per candidate (This includes the DMQ and BASC fee)
4) A full DSC 1 course is £290 per candidate
5) unlike other course providers there are no hidden costs for manuals, online learning, disks, ammunition etc.. it is all inclusive

These are typical fees. You can see why some trainers and assessors would charge more than £140 for assessment only

So when i did mine Peter a few years back now i paid £60 but we supplied the area and only needed an assessor.Do basck not do that no more an if they do can we cut the 55 out of the cash needed per person.
Makeing it £95. Still makeing a profit of £60 per candidate x 10 as a norm from us is not a bad earner. £600 clear profit.

So when i did mine Peter a few years back now i paid £60 but we supplied the area and only needed an assessor.Do basck not do that no more an if they do can we cut the 55 out of the cash needed per person.
Makeing it £95. Still makeing a profit of £60 per candidate x 10 as a norm from us is not a bad earner. £600 clear profit.

Davie a few years back, oh yes a few years back, i remember paying .53 pence for a pint of beer it nearly £3.00 now lol ,have a wee look at the government they take .20 pence in every pound £200.00 in every thousand you make .we all have to pay tax even those on benefits .Your pension will be taxable at the same rates .

British gas make huge profits but we still, pay them ever quarter .

This rant over profit isn't going anywhere, we all pay over the odds for goods, fuel, tobacco, alcohol the duty is way ott but were is the rant to your MP about that she will never give you a answer to appease your pocket .

As you have said yourself ,you've got to be in it to win it ,those doing the assessment will just have to pay the going rate ,we had to if you were to break the price down back then we would have been paying over the odds ,then .

Back