Bullet head guide

FGYT

Is there a simple guide for the types of head you can use I assume that can get complicated by different manufactures calling similar designs different names and i assume different offerings depending on calibre

as Im starting out I know you have 2 basic hunting types

one being expanding but stays basically in one piece for deer :stag: and larger animals

and the other being Fragmenting into lots of tiny bits for small soft animals ie fox :fox:

then posts go off into Interlock & partition etc etc :?: :confused:

ATB

Duncan

That's where you were going wrong then, you were sending the cartridge head downrange rather than the bullet.:rofl:

As the other guys have said you need to look at the various manufacturers information online but just be aware they some manufacturers have been known to make inflated claims. Also that in many countries there is no requirement to use bullets that expand so some will tell you that for example a full metal jacket is suitable for hunting game. It's can be rather confusing can't it.

That's where you were going wrong then, you were sending the cartridge head downrange rather than the bullet.:rofl:

As the other guys have said you need to look at the various manufacturers information online

It's can be rather confusing can't it.

Yes thats why I asked if there was a simple Guide by shooters not manufactures Hype

but maybe its to complex to summarize into a few basic types and the pros and cons of each

Yes thats why I asked if there was a simple Guide by shooters not manufactures Hype

but maybe its to complex to summarize into a few basic types and the pros and cons of each
I don't know... ​its just essentially 'cup and core' (a lead filled copper cup) which was originally designed for reliable expansion at moderate velocity and 'controlled expansion' where manufacturers have come up with different designs to reduce the rate of expansion allowing deeper penetration on large species and/or reliable expansion at higher velocities. The 3 basic controlled expansion technologies are to partition the bullet into expanding and non-expanding sections, tapering the jacket thickness, bonding the core to the jacket, and/or various combinations of all 3.

Does this help then if you are only looking for a very simple answer to what can be a quite complex subject ad one that causes a great deal of discussion on this site. http://www.riflesintheuk.com/bullets.htm

thank you Simple is always best when starting out even on complex subjects without a good knowledge of the basics the Difficult stuff is usually impossible or misunderstood i find

ATB

​Duncan

I'm sure you will find all you need on the sites refered to above .....

In regard to the comments which keep appearing on here about the title of bullets / heads ....... and being new to reloading and wanting to avoid the digs re heads, I called a gunshop. They do their own repairs and sells all sorts of firearms and reloading componets, a good knowledgeable store. I asked what they had in regard to bullets.... they said " Do you mean heads " I know what I wanted and accepted they want to use the word heads. No problems at all for me.
Regards Alan

I'm sure you will find all you need on the sites refered to above .....

In regard to the comments which keep appearing on here about the title of bullets / heads ....... and being new to reloading and wanting to avoid the digs re heads, I called a gunshop. They do their own repairs and sells all sorts of firearms and reloading componets, a good knowledgeable store. I asked what they had in regard to bullets.... they said " Do you mean heads " I know what I wanted and accepted they want to use the word heads. No problems at all for me.
Regards Alan

Interesting!... Not being pedantic, just wondering, since they made the distinction... What do you reckon they think "bullets" actually are? :confused:

Common problem in gunshops around the country
people think because it comes out of the mouths of a member of staff or gunshop owners that it must be true.......

lot of crap spouted from both sides of the gunshop counters!

They should know better and should use the correct name. Using inaccurate terminology is something that really irritates me because it leads to confusion.

Day one the cartridge was named wrong. They call the head bit where the arse should be. The head should be on the neck, above the shoulder.
In my book head is correct, as is bullet. The bit that holds the primer must be re-named.
This is what happens when a mistake is not fixed.
edi

Day one the cartridge was named wrong. They call the head bit where the arse should be. The head should be on the neck, above the shoulder.
In my book head is correct, as is bullet. The bit that holds the primer must be re-named.
This is what happens when a mistake is not fixed.
edi

Lets call it the case :doh:

Back