Which 300 & new or old

CWMMAN3738

Right guys got a slot for a 300 but can't decide which, wm,rul,H&H, weatherby, etc so lets hear from those who have these.
Second brand new poss a HOWA 1500, SAKO, or something older TIKKA 695 perhaps what do you think?

I've been using a .300 WSM Tikka T3 Varmint for the past 7 years. Cannot fault the combination. Over 3400 ftlbs energy, from an effiecient case while mantaining 1/2MOA groups.
It will match the .300wm ballistics up to 180grs although if you're looking to use heavier bullets then the Win Mag or Ultra Mag is a better choice.
Personally I've been using 168gr Barnes TSX's to great effect over the years on a variety of game from Roe, Steinbok and Duiker up to Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbok and Kudu (all weighing over 300kg).

I chose .300 wm because of the reasons given by others ,
i purchased the rifle (a howa )
for a good price from a member , it shot ok , from another member I purchased a bell and Carson stock ( I think ) and then a rifle basix trigger was fitted , recently topped by a sightron scope also sourced from a member . A very accurate rifle for not silly money .

I went WM in Tikka (685)

RUM is just too much (for my needs anyway)
H&H is just making things complicated and expensive for no reason
WSM is short when I wanted long

is your slot for ".300" as L&B flatly refused to give me such flexibility when choosing mine. they wanted clear cartridge distiction

Yes my licensing have given me the option on my cert as I explained i hadnt decided which
I went WM in Tikka (685)

RUM is just too much (for my needs anyway)
H&H is just making things complicated and expensive for no reason
WSM is short when I wanted long

is your slot for ".300" as L&B flatly refused to give me such flexibility when choosing mine. they wanted clear cartridge distiction

Utramag.
If you are going to have one you may as well have a big one. You can load it to match the others but you can't load the others to match the Ultramag.
Dies and Cases are as available as any other.
I do not have one but my Stalking mate has and it is excellent. He has even had a full Custom Build based on his experiences with this Cartridge in a Rem Senderro.

Yorkie.

Last edited:
Nice classic 300 H & H in Holts! It will only be quite pricey and expensive to feed but it is one of the all time great classics!!

David.

As others say the common sense one is the one I'd least actually want. 300 Winchester Magnum. If ammunition and components were widely available "off the shelf" and I went down that route I'd choose the ORIGINAL modern 1960s 300 mangum. That is the 308 Norma Magnum or the 30-338. The 300 H & H whilst nice to dream is an awfully long case, it is a swine to manipulate in a Mauser 98 action (hence the round cut out or "bite" missing on most H & H made rifles in their calibre) and doesn't really bring anything to the battle except, like cavalry, tone!

At the present I have both a 300 Win Mag and a 300 Weatherby both on Ruger #1B's . In the past I've had a Kimber 89BGR Super Grade in 300 Win Mag and a Remington Model 7 in 300 SAUM . I liked them all !

But at the moment the Ruger #1B in 300 H&H MAG has my attention . They had a small run of them a year or two ago and there are still several floating around that are NIB and I want one !

This is for 90% live quarry I'm not realy a paper puncher only to check zero & maybe a day now & then on the 4" gongs at up to 600yds for fun with m8s.
I will home load for whatever I buy & like the H&H as I have .375h&h now but just can't decide if it's worth the effort as I'm pretty lazy when it comes to reloading & would like to hold/get some factory ammo as standby plus there's the cost issue to consider the WM is readily available & as cheap as they get in 300's

i wouldnt even consider buying factory for any of these
the price of a box of factory 300wm is ridiculous!

thats doner action ive got on my 30-06 thats being done at the moment ! :love:

lee you wont be dissapointed they are superb I still cannot believe my mate let it slip from his grip one mistake i will not make,as for factory its an arm and a leg ,atb wayne

I have a 300 win mag which is a Rigby built by J Roberts a year or so ago. I have only used it in Africa but it is super rifle and a joy to shoot. I use factory ammo and have found that as I am not shooting 100's of rounds the cost is fine.

Back