Anyone using a 6mm remington.

jay 22

Hi guys im thinking of filling my spare 6mm slot next year. Now I've looked at 6x47 243 ai and 6mm ai

But more then likely going to stick to good old standard 243 or 6mm Remington. Now the remmington looks very good though its not very popular over here. And from I have seen only rem or Winchester brass is offered for reloading.

Where 243 has lapua and other good makes etc. Now I know people say there is nothing wrong with remmy or Winchester brass. With a little prep work nothing to worry about at all but being to buy lapua brass is handy. And the extra cost of it. Is worth it in my book if it saves prepping time.

Does anyone on here use a 6 mm remmington for fox and deer ? When I say deer it will only be roe and the odd fallow on a paid day.

Would be intrested in peoples views on this calibre
Atb jay

I use a ruger no1v in 6mm rem and find it an excellent combination for fox roe and fallow, all of wich I shoot on a regular basis with it. I use 90gr bullets for all.
I did buy this rifle intending to rebarrel it in 7mm but after shooting a few rounds through it, found it was performing to well to change, ended up getting another slot on my ticket for a 7mm instead.
since getting it the .223 has been gathering dust.
sinbad

I have a 6mm Remington, indeed. If you want to see more than one visit Norman Clarke who likes the calibre very much. It offers some benefits, besides being slightly different to 243 Winchester. It is a better balanced cartridge shape. But I never could get mine to group with 100 grain Nosler Partition bullets so I am going to sell it!

I will be at some time putting all the various RCBS dies I have on here on classifieds.

Yes by the time remmington changed it it was to late and the 243 really took hold of the market. I would more then likely go for a 9 twist if I have one .

Of course the slower twist rates like 1 in 12 suite the lighter varmint bullets better.

In theory EXACTLY the same as any 243 Winchester. But the 6mm in its original design, as 244 Remington used 1 in 12 and would, it is said, not stabilise 100 grain bullets.

Thanks for that, so for lighter bullets say up to 87grain a 1 in 12 twist in 6BR, 6mm Remington, .243" etc. would be fine ?

Neil. :)

I believe that all 6mm rems have a 1 in 9 twist and that the .244rem had a 1 in 12! just check before you buy if the rifle is stamped as a .244 it will have the slower twist (not good for 100gr bullets).
Hope that helps.
sinbad

Indeed, as SINBAD says that calibre stamp is the way to visually tell the difference. Other than that put a swivel handle cleaning rod and phosphor bronze brush down the bore and measure how long a full turn is.

My 6mm Remington, a Parker Hale M81 Classic is 1 in 9 twist.

Hi Jay

My shooting buddy on here Craig 1S1K has a 6mm rem and it shoots like a dream,

he has a one of built parker hale that was done by the top man at PH, with bluing to die for fully bedded and unscrew cut. the guy who's name escapes me built 4 all the same and i think the cals where,

6mm rem
7mm 08
and 1 other,( i may have the cals wrong by the way) but all built for himself but never shot, they where all locked up until earlier this year and had only been proof shot,

as you say not to many around in the uk it may seem, but im sure there are a few on here that may have one sat in a cabinet.

bob.

.17 HMR = 1 in 9"
.22 Long Rifle = 1 in 16"
.222 Remington = 1 in 14"
.223 Remington = 1 in 12"
.22-250 Remington = 1 in 14"
.223 WSSM = 1 in 12"
.243 Winchester = 1 in 10"
6mm Remington = 1 in 9"
.243 WSSM = 1 in 10"
.240 Wby. Mag. = 1 in 10"
.25-06 Remington = 1 in 10"
.257 Wby. Mag. = 1 in 10"
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser = 1 in 7.5"
.260 Remington = 1 in 9"
.264 Win. Mag. = 1 in 9"
.270 Winchester = 1 in 10"
.270 WSM = 1 in 10"
.270 Wby. Mag. = 1 in 10"
7x57 Mauser = 1 in 9"
7mm-08 Remington = 1 in 9.25"
.280 Remington = 1 in 9.25"
7mm Rem. SAUM = 1 in 9.25"
7mm WSM = 1 in 9.5"
7mm Rem. Mag. = 1 in 9.25"
7mm Wby. Mag. = 1 in 10"
.30 Carbine = 1 in 16"
.30-30 Winchester = 1 in 12"
.300 Savage = 1 in 10"
.308 Winchester = 1 in 12"
.30-06 Springfield = 1 in 10"
.300 Rem. SAUM = 1 in 10"
.300 WSM = 1 in 10"
.300 Win. Mag. = 1 in 10"
.300 Wby. Mag. = 1 in 10"
7.62x39 Soviet = 1 in 7.5"
.303 British = 1 in 10"
.32 Win. Spec. = 1 in 16"
8x57 JS Mauser = 1 in 9.25"
.338-57 O'Connor = 1 in 10"
.338 Win. Mag. = 1 in 10"
.340 Wby. Mag. = 1 in 10"
.357 Mag. = 1 in 16"
.35 Remington = 1 in 16"
.35 Whelen = 1 in 16"
.350 Rem. Mag. = 1 in 16"
.375 H&H Mag. = 1 in 12"
.378 Wby. Mag. = 1 in 12"
.416 Rem. Mag. = 1 in 14"
.416 Wby. Mag. = 1 in 14"
.44 Rem. Mag. = 1 in 20"
.444 Marlin = 1 in 20"
.45-70 Govt. (Marlin and Ruger rifles) = 1 in 20"
.450 Marlin = 1 in 20"
.458 Win. Mag. = 1 in 14"
.460 Wby. Mag. = 1 in 16"

As I am selling my 6mm Parker Hale I have listed the die sets etc., in the Forum Classifieds section. I'll also be listing about one hundred new unfired Remington make cases and a quantity of Remington fired cases too. ALL MUST BE SOLD!

Well yes I own a P-H 1200V in 6mm Remington.

Now Norman Clark had built up some new ones using Parker-Hale parts that he bought in the close out sale when p-H was closed down. They looked to be very nice rifles too. I first saw one at the 2010 Newark shooting show then in 2011 saw he had two of them in slightly differing styles.

Well yes I own a P-H 1200V in 6mm Remington.

Now Norman Clark had built up some new ones using Parker-Hale parts that he bought in the close out sale when p-H was closed down. They looked to be very nice rifles too. I first saw one at the 2010 Newark shooting show then in 2011 saw he had two of them in slightly differing styles.

How does it shoot brithunter

Have it ackleyed 8 twist and shoot 105 amax, beatiful calibre, punches well above its weight....

The ai was a choice gary but I've heard the might not feed very well from my rpa mag. I've had a single shot rifle before
And found it fiddly to reload. Mind it was a 17 fireball so was bound to be a little fiddly due to there size.

I see a 6mm ai on 6the br forum once. With a 14 twist barrel. Pushing 75 vmax to 3860 fps! The builder said not all 14 twist would push them so a 12 twist would be better to go for if not sure.

This also let him shoot the 87 vmax to 3600 fps. Some impressive speeds and great long distance varmint calibre. Standard 6 mm Remington is no slow coach though is it!

Last edited:
How does it shoot brithunter

Bang!!

I was playing with it sorting out the mess some previous owner had made trying to "improve" on the bedding :rolleyes:. The 1200V was bedded and free floated form the factory as it was squarely aimed at the US market hence the "Varmint" title. I gave £90 for it and found it stringed it's shots. On removing the stock it soon became obvious that the " compound" they had used had not adhered to the stock. I was trying the restore the factory stock finish high gloss varnish finish when the raid happened so that was it. Restoration and repair came to a halt so although I had it grouping inside 3/4" I felt it should have been capable of better. Of course I do not how many rounds had been down the bore what with it being some 30 years old.

Bang!!

I was playing with it sorting out the mess some previous owner had made trying to "improve" on the bedding :rolleyes:. The 1200V was bedded and free floated form the factory as it was squarely aimed at the US market hence the "Varmint" title. I gave £90 for it and found it stringed it's shots. On removing the stock it soon became obvious that the " compound" they had used had not adhered to the stock. I was trying the restore the factory stock finish high gloss varnish finish when the raid happened so that was it. Restoration and repair came to a halt so although I had it grouping inside 3/4" I felt it should have been capable of better. Of course I do not how many rounds had been down the bore what with it being some 30 years old.

Well it looks a good round. And as long as the factory not brass doesn't need to much work its the next calibre I would like to own.

I prefer the 6mm Remington to the .243 Winchester actually. The case looks just right :D it's also easy to load for but for some reason finding brass can be a problem.. I sent for mine from Norman Clark. If I recall correctly I ordered my dies direct form the US as UK suppliers were quoting weeks or months for delivery :rolleyes:.

Oh BTW the 1200V has a 1 in 10" twist barrel.

Last edited:
I think I saw that Zaitsev had one based on a Sako action that he was advertising for sale a while ago, I'm sure a PM to him would get you some info.

Back