1 rifle on 2 firearms certificates at the same time.

james243

Hi everyone.
is the above possible?
for example, If a friend obtains an FAC, but doesn't wish to purchase a rifle could one of mine be assigned to their FAC, assuming same callibre etc.
And remain on mine.
so that both of us could use it when desired.
advice welcome
regards
​james

Quite common up here in the Highlands. Estate rifles can be on Multiple certificates. Gun cabinet access can be more of a logistical issue, you couldn't have keys to a cabinet which held guns that aren't on your ticket.

no problems but he can't have access to your gun cabinet come and collect it or you take it to him or other way round

Yep as above it's called a borrowed condition and I have it on my cert. I am allowed to borrow my friends 22-250 as long as I collect or it is brought round mine and I have room in my cabinet. You can borrow for up to 6 months then it must be returned, even for one night, then you can have it back again (silly as it sounds!!)

Stratts

Yep as above it's called a borrowed condition and I have it on my cert. I am allowed to borrow my friends 22-250 as long as I collect or it is brought round mine and I have room in my cabinet. You can borrow for up to 6 months then it must be returned, even for one night, then you can have it back again (silly as it sounds!!)

Stratts

I've not come across this condition before - but I suppose they can make up whatever conditions they like!

I have my father's rifles on my FAC. They're just on my FAC, just as they are on his: which seems the most straightforward way of doing things.

The point about cabinet access is a good one, though: if your mate had only one of your rifles on his FAC, then you mustn't let him have access to the others, or their ammunition. Mind you, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, I wouldn't have thought.

You can borrow for up to 6 months then it must be returned, even for one night, then you can have it back again (silly as it sounds!!) Stratts

never come across that
where is that written?
who takes note of when you took possession and when it was returned

utterly unenforceable

I have one rifle on my FAC that belongs to my father
​it is also on at least 3 other FACs that I know of!

I have 3 rifles on my licence that belong to friends. I can use, store and travel with them without the owners needing to be with me.

Last edited:
​My understanding is that it can be done ok. I know plenty of fathers who have rifles at home and their son(s) have an FAC at a different address (with or without firearms) with their fathers guns are on their FAC. I think as long as the police know the "predominant address" they are cool with it.

Not sure about the 6 month loan thing? I undertsood you could only "lend" a shotgun for up to 72 hrs without informing the plod so 6 months for a firearms seems generous? There is probably a difference between having a firearms on multiple certs and lending/borrowing firearms between people with the same calibre permissions on their certs.....

My son used to have my rifles on his certificate with the same conditions as mine when we both lived in the Lothian & Borders area. However when he moved into the Central Police Division area they changed his FAC to say the rifles can be 'borrowed'. No condition on how long he can borrow them.

​Mulac

It was something that the feo told me and it is not written down. As I said and you are quite right, a silly and totally unenforceable rule if it is even correct?!

From the sounds of it it depends on your fao and how reasonable he is , as with so many things of he's ok then you're laughing if he's difficult then it makes life a lot harder ..

I am the primary holder for the firearms i own, which are .22 .17 .243 and .308, i got my firerarms ticket first, my dad also wanted a firearms ticket he applied a year later, so he applied for his and he has all my rifles on his ticket, exactly the same conditions as me, and he didnt have to do DSC either.

He use them when im not and vice versa, never had a problem yet.

I am the primary holder for the firearms i own, which are .22 .17 .243 and .308, i got my firerarms ticket first, my dad also wanted a firearms ticket he applied a year later, so he applied for his and he has all my rifles on his ticket, exactly the same conditions as me, and he didnt have to do DSC either.

He use them when im not and vice versa, never had a problem yet.

Interesting and a common sense approach imo, do you both have a key to the cabinet for access whenever you wish?

yes we both have keys to the safe, so we both have access

...which of course entirely in order as both of you have the same rifles and ammuntion on your FACs, and those are the only firearms and ammuniton in the cabinet.

I suppose the one of you who buys/makes the ammuniton has to transfer a some of it to the FAC of the one who doesn't?

You also need to ensure you have no more ammo than one of you is allowed to possess, unless you have separate security for it that is only accessible to the one person.
If you both have 600 rounds of .22 on your cert between you you can only have 600 rounds, if ammo security is shared, not 1200 as you would then both have access to the excess. Big trouble if you get caught.
Not forgetting if one of you has less, ie 250, then that's the most you can possess between you.
If anyone has the problem contact their licensing office for it to get changed, should not be a problem and no cost involved.

Last edited:
I looked in to doing this, having a friends rifle on my FAC.
I spoke to BASC and was told in no uncertain terms that it was not possible.
The main issue was that if the rifle was lost or stolen, then the second FAC holder would find themselves in the position of having a rifle on their certificate but no rifle to produce.

Back