Picatinny rail steel vs aluminium

nun_hunter

Is there any practical difference between the Recknagel aluminium picatinny rail and the Contessa steel rail for a Tikka T3 in .243?

Apart from the obvious Contessa rail being slightly heavier and stronger and £20 more but is this actually relevant on a 243 with low recoil?

It would be for mounting a day scope and a Yukon Photon in Leupold QRW mounts so a reliable return to zero is the most important factor.

I'd go with steel if you are going to be changing a lot. Have seen small deformities on aluminum from normal handling that will throw off zero.

I'd go with steel if you are going to be changing a lot. Have seen small deformities on aluminum from normal handling that will throw off zero.

Agreed. Unless you are taking the scope on and off repeatedly I cannot see the advantage of a heavier steel rail on a hunting rifle. Looks maybe?

Weight difference is about 75grams and they look the same. The Contessa does have a recoil lug fitted. It probably would get swapped over a fair bit in the winter due to longer nights and more foxing.

Both my T3s have the lugged steel Contessa rails for day / night swap primarily but also zero retention when cleaning with the scope off.

As noted above, the aluminium can get chewed but the worst thing I have found has been when it's less than the right dimensions: I assume cast crap but I use steel only since.

Both my T3s have the lugged steel Contessa rails for day / night swap primarily but also zero retention when cleaning with the scope off.

As noted above, the aluminium can get chewed but the worst thing I have found has been when it's less than the right dimensions: I assume cast crap but I use steel only since.

Ditto, no comparison, negligible weight difference, however the steel will win hands down on strength and endurance against aluminium. deerwarden

Back