Duracoat Gun Blue

User00003

Anyone ever seen/used Duracoat Gun Blue in person? I have an old rifle that's lost it's blueing due to wear, blood stains, etc. etc. etc. and instead of having it re-blued, I thought about giving it a dose of duracoat in the 'gun blue' colour.

Does anyone have any experiences working with this product?
a. how do you treat the crown, if at all?
b. can you treat the action?
c. can you treat the bolt?
d. how does it look compared to traditional blueing?

any responses appreciated.

James (Jager Sporting Arms) has a old 7X57 which had has Dur-coated to look like bluing, have a look at it before you make a decision.

ATB

Tahr

Don't go there, Duracoat is really not all its cracked up to be. Cerakote is marginally better, Main problem is most people seem to slather it over the rifle like its sun cream, the film thickness is high and it looks rubbish. Personally i would get the gun reblued professionally, or speak to Julian Savory at JMS Arms, he has a contact for getting the rifle sprayed in a very thin Mil Spec Phenolic/Teflon Coating, its ultra thin and very hard wearing.

Don't go there, Duracoat is really not all its cracked up to be. Cerakote is marginally better, Main problem is most people seem to slather it over the rifle like its sun cream, the film thickness is high and it looks rubbish. Personally i would get the gun reblued professionally, or speak to Julian Savory at JMS Arms, he has a contact for getting the rifle sprayed in a very thin Mil Spec Phenolic/Teflon Coating, its ultra thin and very hard wearing.

Don't know where you got yours done but mine is excellent? Perhaps you should have gone to a certified tradesman! How many do you know in the UK?

I think you must have had some amateur do yours. The rifle I had done had the bolt race way coated and caused no problems, in fact it smoothed the bolt throw up and did not wear off. Sure you can scratch it off on rocks etc if you give it some big knocks, but the same knocks would take a blued rifle back to the steel. Dura-coat is 100% water proof and if you do damage it, a good operator can touch it back to new very cheaply.
ATB
Tahr

I think you must have had some amateur do yours. The rifle I had done had the bolt race way coated and caused no problems, in fact it smoothed the bolt throw up and did not wear off. Sure you can scratch it off on rocks etc if you give it some big knocks, but the same knocks would take a blued rifle back to the steel. Dura-coat is 100% water proof and if you do damage it, a good operator can touch it back to new very cheaply.

ATB
Tahr

I would never have a rifle done in it, as far as I'm concerned it's not a great product. If you really want to know the work I saw which was so bad was on the trade stand of the only supposed qualified professional duracoat finisher in the uk.

I would never have a rifle done in it, as far as I'm concerned it's not a great product. If you really want to know the work I saw which was so bad was on the trade stand of the only supposed qualified professional duracoat finisher in the uk.

Now I know you are talking total B***cks, while I would be open to arguments that other coatings might be superior there is no doubt that James coating work is excellent, he knows the product better than anybody in the UK. As he is a trade member on here I hope you can back your comments on the quality of his work.
Watching with interest.

Tahr

I've been using Duracoat now for about 3 years, spray a few things every week.
One thing is for sure just as with any other paint...wrong prep and your doomed.
I am convinced the mixing ratio of hardener given by Lauer is not 100% correct and I've had
better results and seemed harder wearing with a slight change. Some customers have reported back
that their duracoated stocks held up better against scratches than their ceracoated barrelled actions.
edi

Very interesting words, perhaps you could enlighten us all as to your knowledge and practical experience of both Duracoat and Cerakote???

Ive done 100s of rifles, stocks, scopes and accessories for all types of people including overseas customers, no complaints about the quality of the work or the products!

As for MIL spec Phenolic/Teflon, well, been there, seen it, done it...oh and Duracoat sticks to Teflon like sh*t to a blanket!

I dont wish to get into a pi**ing contest but as someone has said you are talking complete bo**ocks! I do wish that people would do some research before sticking their feet in their mouths!

Out of the others who claim to offer what I do, ask yourself how busy they are...im stacked out with a multitude of different types of coating work, firearms is the smallest area I now do, but ive always got plenty to do!
Thats how good the products really are, their so diverse ive found other applications which are far more lucrative.

Feel free to contact me for a demonstration!

Hmmm I was not sure about the look of some of the coatings offered but had a bit of correspondance with James I believe and the plan was to have a look as the coating may just have been what I was looking for for a certain project. Now of course all on hold :rolleyes: For a traditional and restoration of course proper blacking was used but on this particular project as it's not a restoration as such I was looking at alternatives. So did some web based research, spoke to some who have got rifles coated, then as I said James and i exchanged PM's and e-mails about it. There is no doubt that these coating have come a long way in the recent years and once the hassles are sorted out and finances recover a bit I shall be looking at this once again.

Back