New permission

bladesman

I recently obtained a new permission and sent a letter off to my licensing dept. to get the land cleared for 22 rimfire and 22 centrefire (hornet). They sent me a letter back saying the land is "suitable for all calibres up to and including .17hmr", with no mention of the 22rimmy or hornet. I was a little uneasy about this so gave them a call and the person answering the phone said he would check and if he DIDNT get back to me within the hour then i was ok to use both. I agreed and hung up. He never got back to me so i was quite pleased but, thinking about it now , still a little uneasy about not having it in writing. I DID take the persons name and time/date of call down. Do u think i should insist on getting it in writing or am i being a little cautious?

Bladesman as it stands the last letter the police have on file for the permission is one for 'up to .17HMR'. So not sure if this goes by caliber measured or caliber energy but i would think you need letter approving your calibers. If they want to make silly rules then they can provide the paper.

Sounds to me like they want to limit you to rimfires for the moment! Any info on land? Size, many roads, is it flat. Footpaths, houses? Maybe give it a few months till you have chucked some lead about with a Rimfire and then get a variation for the hornet!

You dont need anything in writing but you do need conformation on what "up to and including 17HMR" means.
Many licensing offices rate cartridges in order of size not power and on that basis you would not be allowed to use any of your calibres.
However if they have based it on power of the cartridge then you will be okay to use your .22LR but not the Hornet im afraid.

Ian.

I recently obtained a new permission and sent a letter off to my licensing dept. to get the land cleared for 22 rimfire and 22 centrefire (hornet). They sent me a letter back saying the land is "suitable for all calibres up to and including .17hmr", with no mention of the 22rimmy or hornet. I was a little uneasy about this so gave them a call and the person answering the phone said he would check and if he DIDNT get back to me within the hour then i was ok to use both. I agreed and hung up. He never got back to me so i was quite pleased but, thinking about it now , still a little uneasy about not having it in writing. I DID take the persons name and time/date of call down. Do u think i should insist on getting it in writing or am i being a little cautious?
My advice for what its worth, you are clear for .22 rf and up to 17hmr,do not use your hornet on that ground [assuming you dont have an open ticket] until you have authority to do so, tbh mate I would not like to be in the position of trying to defend myself on the strength of someone not ringing me back, ring them again,ask them if they have put your ground up to .22hornet,always aire on the side of caution mate,your ticket is too precious to take chances.

e-mail them and ask for a reply via e-mail then at least you can print it off and it's written words.

Thanks for your suggestions. Decided to ring them again and ask for written confirmation this morning. Surprise surprise, they will look into it and ring me back.

Thanks for your suggestions. Decided to ring them again and ask for written confirmation this morning. Surprise surprise, they will look into it and ring me back.

all calls are logged but always get it in writing. always check, someone always cocks up!
I had a permission letter about a municipal piece of ground which when I rang to confirm they told me they had given me the wrong details in the letter!
If I had turned up to shoot without checking and been spotted I could have been in all sorts of bother/hassle

You dont need anything in writing but you do need conformation on what "up to and including 17HMR" means.
Many licensing offices rate cartridges in order of size not power and on that basis you would not be allowed to use any of your calibres.
However if they have based it on power of the cartridge then you will be okay to use your .22LR but not the Hornet im afraid.

Ian.

Definitely the crux of the matter Whitebeard. The person i rang 19/4 said ok to use rimmy and hornet if he didnt ring back. Person i rang this morning didnt know and said she'd pass it on to supervisor and ring me back, person i phoned this afternoon (cos they didnt ring me back!!!), said i am ok to use rimmy only. When i asked if she could email me confirmation she took my email address and said it would be 'about a week'. Is it this painful at other licensing departments or is it just ours????????

[QUOTEIs it this painful at other licensing departments or is it just ours????????][/QUOTE]

Cheshire!!!!!

If i lived in Cheshire, my shooting would be severly curtailed, as most of my shooting is rabbits crows and other vermin with my 22BR and 257.

Ian.

So e-mail them and copy the e-mail to the chief Constable. About time he found out just how inefficient they are.

Suggest you get hold of the last SACS newsletter, there is a very intresting article on why the police should not be in the position to condition ground.

Can't at present lay my hand on it.

D

Last night I found said article, basically its has been pointed out that the police could end up in serious trouble if they passed some grnd and there was an accident and could end up being sued. It would appear that many forces are now very quietly dropping said requirements. If you send me a PM with your e mail I will PDF the article.

D

This is very sound advice!!! you cannot fail if you always ask your local FA dept, it will be on record your request, and their repsonse

Back