Trying to make it as realistic as poss.

cookingfat

My Lab pup is nine months old now and working ok,
so thought I would try and make a trail as realistic as possible,
this track was about 6 hours old and done with just fallow hoofs,
the shot site has no blood just the scent from the hoofs, it's starts from some cover like a real shot might, then run through the cover edge and across some spring corn into a wood.
sorry about my daughters filming and she stops it just before the end
My little dog does work the track a bit to fast for my liking but I am pleased with her progress so far.

Britt is Coming on well bud...
better start turning your attention to training Vicky on her videoing skills... Lol

Do not rush it the dog is only nine months and will have a short concentration time. But good luck with it it looks great.

Thanks, there is no problem with that she does it most days with the same zest and just loves it, the important think is to keep it fun with lots of praise and fun at the end.
that is the drive that makes her won't to do it.
When she is not tracking she plays like a pup would with all the other dogs, when on the track she had no problem with her concentration.
Tony

Last edited:
for what its worth go very steady with a young 9 month old dog.
so many dogs are ruined at this age.you want to get the basics 100% first .I see it year after year on the shoot .
believe more dogs are ruined at this age than come good.
and I really hope you prove me wrong .

for what its worth go very steady with a young 9 month old dog.
so many dogs are ruined at this age.you want to get the basics 100% first .I see it year after year on the shoot .
believe more dogs are ruined at this age than come good.
and I really hope you prove me wrong .
I could not agree more with where you are coming from, I have two cockers and two springers and would not dear work them till they where two plus years old on real life working, ie picking up and working the line, but track training is slightly different as your dog has only to do one thing, that's follow a trail and if it's on a long line then you have control.
i also have four other labs for bird work and the same applies to them, no real live bird work until they are two plus.
track training is different in that respect, and should be practiced as much as your dog will take from an early age, all breeds are different and some can and will take more than others.

that's a fair comment the only thing that would worry me is with a very young dog is that the excitement generated
could end up with a dog that pulls bad and even worse starts yapping. But iam not a trainer of tracking dogs and could well be wrong. I used to have an old black lab that would track any thing would track deer really well but you only tend to get a dog like that once in a life time. wish you well with this - bob

that's a fair comment the only thing that would worry me is with a very young dog is that the excitement generated
could end up with a dog that pulls bad and even worse starts yapping. But iam not a trainer of tracking dogs and could well be wrong. I used to have an old black lab that would track any thing would track deer really well but you only tend to get a dog like that once in a life time. wish you well with this - bob
thanks Bob for your replay, pulling on the line is a big issue and needs to be addressed other wise your dog will always do this, yapping will only really start when you are asking your dog to report and hold at bay if that is what you are training for, never seen a dog do this on The track, only when getting near its quarry and this only happens when the trainer has trained for this.

Tony

thanks Bob for your replay, pulling on the line is a big issue and needs to be addressed other wise your dog will always do this, yapping will only really start when you are asking your dog to report and hold at bay if that is what you are training for, never seen a dog do this on The track, only when getting near its quarry and this only happens when the trainer has trained for this.

Tony

How do you get them to stop pulling? My pointer walks perfectly to heel and when she is on a lead, you forget that she's there. When you put her in her harness and on a track though, her head goes down and she's off like a steam train. Up til now, I've just held her back and said nothing. How do I slow her down?

How do you get them to stop pulling? My pointer walks perfectly to heel and when she is on a lead, you forget that she's there. When you put her in her harness and on a track though, her head goes down and she's off like a steam train. Up til now, I've just held her back and said nothing. How do I slow her down?
Hi Shabz,
This is probably the most asked question"how do I slow my dog down" well when I started back in 2009 I too was asking my European mentor the same question with another young dog, the answer is use less blood if your using it and make your trails older 12,24,36 hours, at the moment your dog is racing down the track because it is easy for him/her to get to the end where the food or fun and games will be, by gradually using less blood(that's if your using) or making tracks older your dog will have to slow down or lose the trail, I suggest you gradually use less or make tracks older over a period of time, don't just go from 2 hours to 24 hours overnight or gallons of blood to nil, and to be honest the sooner you get off blood the better.
this is just the method that I was shown and it works for me, there are other methods of training so ask some of the other SD tracking people, then pick one that works for you.

good luck

Tony

Last edited:
Back