Hunting Holiday - Antler Art

greenhillstairs

Hi all,

I'm really looking forward to another “Hunting Safari” in South Africa at the end of October this year, this possibly because its a first for my 14 yr old son in tow as an observer. Having recently started up a new venture producing Red Deer Antler lighting amongst others, I’m delighted with the reception my chandeliers have received thus far.

With my forthcoming trip in mind My thoughts are now turning towards fact finding on “African Game” and how might it be possible to utilise this abundant but a little more unique antler.

Has anyone encountered any interesting African Antler Art on their travels? You would think there is certainly plenty to go at what with Kudu, Wildebeest, Impala, Water Buck, Bush Buck, to name but a few. Any interesting stories or specific pieces anyone would care to share? I for one would be most interested.

This stunning Kudu taken last year is destined as my showpiece trophy. However every time I look at the photo, I try to Imagine as to how I could utilise that wonderful horn into a new piece of creative lighting.

View attachment 45484

Best Regards

Hi all,

I'm really looking forward to another “Hunting Safari” in South Africa at the end of October this year, this possibly because its a first for my 14 yr old son in tow as an observer. Having recently started up a new venture producing Red Deer Antler lighting amongst others, I’m delighted with the reception my chandeliers have received thus far.

With my forthcoming trip in mind My thoughts are now turning towards fact finding on “African Game” and how might it be possible to utilise this abundant but a little more unique antler.

Has anyone encountered any interesting African Antler Art on their travels? You would think there is certainly plenty to go at what with Kudu, Wildebeest, Impala, Water Buck, Bush Buck, to name but a few. Any interesting stories or specific pieces anyone would care to share? I for one would be most interested.

This stunning Kudu taken last year is destined as my showpiece trophy. However every time I look at the photo, I try to Imagine as to how I could utilise that wonderful horn into a new piece of creative lighting.

View attachment 45484

Best Regards
You biggest problem is likely to come from the fact that horn is hollow , and has a totally different structure to deer antler, which is bone. Antelope horns look fantastic, but will probably be a bit of a nightmare to work with.Good luck with it, I would be very interested to see the results

Lakey

Last edited:
You biggest problem is likely to come from the fact that horn is hollow , and has a totally different structure to deer antler, which is bone. Antelope horns look fantastic, but will probably be a bit of a nightmare to work with.Good luck with it, I would be very interested to see the results

Lakey
Thanks for the heads up Lakey, useful to know!

I have seen kudu and oryx horn attached upside down used as wall lights with Ostrich eggs with small holes drilled in them on top as the lamp shade/mantel.
Oryxlysekrone_med_hulepindsvinsskaeligrme_large_zps821c55ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
kudulysekrone_med_skaeligrme_af_strudseaeligg_kuduinderhorn_vortesvinstaelignder_large_zps0b36df67.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]And here are chandeliers made from oryx horn and porcupine quill shades and kudu and warthog with the ostrich egg shades i mentioned.

I also kept the inner bone core from my kudu as once its polished (havent got round to doing mine yet) its a very nice looking ornament.

Moose

I have seen kudu and oryx horn attached upside down used as wall lights with Ostrich eggs with small holes drilled in them on top as the lamp shade/mantel.
Oryxlysekrone_med_hulepindsvinsskaeligrme_large_zps821c55ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
kudulysekrone_med_skaeligrme_af_strudseaeligg_kuduinderhorn_vortesvinstaelignder_large_zps0b36df67.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]And here are chandeliers made from oryx horn and porcupine quill shades and kudu and warthog with the ostrich egg shades i mentioned.

I also kept the inner bone core from my kudu as once its polished (havent got round to doing mine yet) its a very nice looking ornament.

Moose
Thanks Moose, the Oryx in particular is outstanding. In essence similar design to my own Red deer, this in so far has a metal "ring" at the core of the design. The driving factor here would of be the availability and ultimately the cost of the horn. Cheers

Try and visit one of the many taxidermists when your over the last one i visited in Namibia had a lot of spare stuff lying about.

Moose

Back