Approx reccomended Fallow cull %

countrryboy

Alright just a quick 1

Just wondering wot sort of % cull do u need to reduce a fallow population?
Is around 30ish% about right for a stable population so ur looking 35-40% total population?

With fallow can the sex % be closer than with Roe (due to twins compared to sngles) so ur probably looking at about 60-70% does

Sure i used to know stuff like this, but buggered if can remember now. Must be gettin old:old:

Sorry not to be of any help but I would also like to know if you can download anything that,gives a basic,cull plan etc that I could give the parties concerned.

do the BDS advanced course, all will be clear, and you will have the worksheets to calculate it.

you need to know current population, desired population, sex, and qty of mature, yearling and calf.

guidance says never cull more than 40% of your population in one season (unless you live in somerset or devon).

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/uploads/guides/166.pdf

I hope the above link is of some use to you. Good luck with your cull.

In my fallow grounds I Personally take it easy on the males. I remove any bucks with a "fish tail" type antler and
any poor prickets . I also remove any nuisance animals i.e.. Deer that are attracting attention by not reading the rules of the road. Without knowing the ground and current hunting pressure it difficult to you give a percentage amount. I know your not asking for my opinion regarding hunting but this is how I carry out my cull. Fallow deer in Ireland are put under a lot of hunting pressure and seem to be the hardest of all deer species to find a medal head.

If your considering culling mature does good luck as the are not easy to fool.

Regards,
Glendine.

Alright just a quick 1

Just wondering wot sort of % cull do u need to reduce a fallow population?
Is around 30ish% about right for a stable population so ur looking 35-40% total population?

With fallow can the sex % be closer than with Roe (due to twins compared to sngles) so ur probably looking at about 60-70% does

Sure i used to know stuff like this, but buggered if can remember now. Must be gettin old:old:

Sorry not to be of any help but I would also like to know if you can download anything that,gives a basic,cull plan etc that I could give the parties concerned.

How many acres are you stalking over?

If you're talking thousands of acres, you need to whack and stack until you notice a change in the undergrowth, ie the deers food source.

As and when that time comes you can wind it in and think about preserving the quality.

If you're talking a little 100 acre patch then you'll never achieve anything with a cull plan. Numbers won't fall on your little island of ground.

Yeah thats really helpfull:doh:

So you see, it actually was helpfull. ;)

Cheers folks, i have read figures in books in the past but was more related to Roe. Can't ever remember reading much about fallow.
Is there much difference in the ratios between Roe (twins) and most of the herding species having singles?

And i realise it will only be as accurate as any count/est of numbers and if u have total control over there territories

There was some figures in a DI thing i found online, think it will be the culling section similar to above, (sorry dunno how to do links)that give approx deer numbers and how they changed as ur % of male/females changed. But it was not species specific. Quite interesting thou
Wot sort of ball park figures are u looking for as % sex, 60-70% does? or even more in fallow? But i inmagine it will also depend on the original ratio of does to bucks

Aye i think it will be a shoot as many as possible job and worry about the herd dynamics later on

With fallow you will know if you have achieved the correct level, they have up and left for a quite life else where.

I you do need to get numbers I find its better to hit them hard once every two to three weeks with a couple of mates sat in seats and keep them moving.

If you pick at them every weekend they will go nocturnal.

Atb

Wayne

I you do need to get numbers I find its better to hit them hard once every two to three weeks with a couple of mates sat in seats and keep them moving.

If you pick at them every weekend they will go nocturnal.

Atb

Wayne
Fantastic Wayne as usual sound advice

Regards,
Glendine.

It is difficult to assess Fallow numbers at the best of times, and normally I hit the does hard just after the rut in early November and into December. Mid winter is always a difficult time of year as you have long hours of darkness and short daylight hours and Fallow become nocturnal and the does are usually in large groups anyway. In general Wayne is correct in that hitting them every so often helps, but it depends on the pressure locally around you as well.

Back