25-06 info

Peter Eaton

Does anyone who loads 25-06 know what powders suit this calibre? Looking for one to use with 117 grain Game kings as thats what a friend uses at present. He manly shoots Sika and Roe. Or would any of you who shoot 25-06 recommend another bullet weight?

Ta

Last edited:
For the years I loaded for mine I only ever used H4831SC. I ended up using 100grn Hornady SP flat base bullets as I felt it was a good all-round weight for foxes, roe, sika and a few red. What do you intend shooting with it?

The most consistent bullet in my 25-06 (Tikka M65) is also the 117gr gamekings with 117gr hornady SSTs a close second. The rub is that the best powder i ever discovered was Ramshot Magnum which is no longer available. I now use 40.5 grs of Varget.

Sika will be the main species shot

Funnily enough that's what was mainly shot with mine. I should clarify that all were shot in the neck/head (please lets not start that debate again) so the bullet weight may not have been quite as important as when chest shots are taken but the 100grn SP Hornady's certainly did the job. As I said, it worked for me but all rifles and combinations will perform differently. What may be worth considering is the availability of bullets in your area. At the time I was using this calibre it was not too common in my neck of the woods so the choice of bullets was limited, hence I stuck with what I knew was always available. You may not have that problem where you are.

115 grain Nostler BT's or preferrably 115 g Combined Technology heads with IMR 4831 (50 grains) behind it. Used to use 100 grains but got too much meat damage.
MS:)

when did you find out it's no longer available & who from?, Steve.

Griff and some others bought the last of a bulk load and i wasn't quick enough (or bright enough) to buy in bulk from Griff. I've since posted a querie to Ramshot who have stated that they don't presently have a UK importer.

Shame - it was a lovely powder and practically flowed from the powder dispenser - a pleasure to reload with.

Does anyone who loads 25-06 know what powders suit this calibre? Looking for one to use with 117 grain Game kings as thats what a friend uses at present. He manly shoots Sika and Roe. Or would any of you who shoot 25-06 recommend another bullet weight?

Ta
you buying more stuff? whats wrong with the 6.5? your hero uses one ;)

Im on the cusp of starting to reload for my 25-06 also lads.............I love the round but find the cost and consistency of factory ammo restrictive and questionable.
The lad whom I but my ammo from is by far the cheapest in the area and it still cost me £40.00 a box. I was shooting 117 grain Federal and they were holding an 'ok' group but I was getting flyers every now and again..............Im now onto 100 grain B/T and their shooting much better.............I'm not continuing to pay £40.00 a box though !!!

when i first got my 25-06 tikka t3 varmint rattled off a few box of sako 117gr s/p, 1 hole groups @ 100yrd lucky me:D started reloading using RL22 powder then whent to H380 both using sierra 117gr spitzer boat tail shoots very well. and for the long range foxes hornady 75gr v-max flat as you like.:evil:

57gn n160 with 85gn ballistic tips. 3600fps out of 26" semi custom remmy. 53gn n160 gives 3340 fps with 100gn bullet. hits em like the hammer of god!
as always start low and work up! (hows that for a safety moment)?

Back