Jager Sporting Arms

User00014

just picked up my new Sako 30-06 built by James at Jager Spoting Arms in Colchester , its a sako L61R finnbear action with a 22" 1/10 twist bagerra barrel also threaded , barrel , action , trigger guard and floor plate at been cerakoted , going to cook some 185gn lapua mega loads up tomorrow to test at the weekend has a lovely safari stock on it but it needs a bit of TLC , which is next on the list then it will be a full strip down back to the wood , oil finish and the clearkote weather proofing then pillar bedding but got to see how it shoots first !

The gun plumber doe's good again !

well gents early loads development tells me i have a tack driver , seriously pleased with the accuracy of this rifle considering i only saw it for the first time yesterday when i picked it up and its cost me under a grand!

i had other rifle builders quote me between £1400 - £1800 for the work he james has done for £650(inc coating!)

james has done a cracking job and his work speaks for its self , hope to get out next week to stretch its legs out to 200 yds and to finish the load delopment off !

hello lee I like your new leftie and it does look like a tack driver in the making and good show james.

regards chris

So to be clear please you stopped adjusting the scope after shots 1 and 2 and this is a 100 or 200 yard target?

Cheers

K

no scope adjustments at all apart from using a shot saver to get it more of less right , then cleaned the bore and shot simple as that , but when i do load development as long as im aiming at the bull i dont care where i am on the paper as long as it groups.

i use my 50yd range at home to get the load about right then when i get time next week ill go back to 100 then 200 and 300 if i can and run it over the chrony .

first 2 shots may have been me considering that was the first time ive fired the rifle and used that scope!

Last edited:
hello lee I like your new leftie and it does look like a tack driver in the making and good show james.

regards chris

thank you chris for finding the doner rifle ! with out you scouring the country for an action i would be buggered !

A fine long-tubed 1" Burris if I'm not mistaken.

I’ve found eye relief and centralisation thereof to be critical with this model and would recommend fitting an objective sun shade.

All the best

K

K ,

yes it sure is , the 1/8 moa is a bit of a head scratcher but now im a bit more savy with it !
"
its on loan with intent to buy from a good friend from canada , he said "use it and if you like it we'll have a deal" he bought it new in 1998 i think he said .

thanks for the advice on the sunshade i do have one and will be sure to fit it .

Mine has target turrets but may as well not given its on my 22 Hornet and therefore requires no more than it to be spot-on a fox's nose at 100 yards.

K

K ,

yes it sure is , the 1/8 moa is a bit of a head scratcher but now im a bit more savy with it !
"
its on loan with intent to buy from a good friend from canada , he said "use it and if you like it we'll have a deal" he bought it new in 1998 i think he said .

thanks for the advice on the sunshade i do have one and will be sure to fit it .

Lucky bugger. Wish I'd been able to find one for my Ruger no1

Well that looks promising!:thumb:
I've got a box of Sako 'once fired' brass you can have which I found in the back of the cupboard. PM me your address and I'll send them your way! I have no use for it now that my 30.06 is a .280 AI.:cool:
MS:)

well gents early loads development tells me i have a tack driver , seriously pleased with the accuracy of this rifle considering i only saw it for the first time yesterday when i picked it up and its cost me under a grand!

i had other rifle builders quote me between £1400 - £1800 for the work he james has done for £650(inc coating!)

james has done a cracking job and his work speaks for its self , hope to get out next week to stretch its legs out to 200 yds and to finish the load delopment off !

Blimey Lee, that's not bad for a 30cal now is it...hopefully when you stretch it's legs it will maintain as good groups. Have to say it was a nice chamber to cut, my little DIY chamber reamer holder was worth fettling with.:D

I have every faith in the Bergara barrels, the hand lapping might play a part but I'm not 100%.

Have plenty more barrels in stock if anyone fancies a try... ;)

nice Lee those actions are sweet it will serve you well i would not be parting with mine, atb wayne

Back