Can I shoot this?

biffo

Local farmer had asked me to shoot one of his livestock as a favour. Don't ask reasons etc, but he has. Question, is this legally ok to do with my deer rifle given that my conditions are deer and vermin??
tx.

If that's all your ticket says them no. Mine makes reference to humane dispatch, not species specific, just the humane killing of animals. And other points in relation to the management of any estate etc.

Local farmer had asked me to shoot one of his livestock as a favour. Don't ask reasons etc, but he has. Question, is this legally ok to do with my deer rifle given that my conditions are deer and vermin??
tx.

Probably not.
My FAC has a clause which states `the lawful shooting of deer and the shooting of vermin or, IN CONNECTION WITH THE MANAGEMENT OF ANY ESTATE, OTHER WILDLIFE.`

I would refer the matter to your FLO as you may be in the fertilizer otherwise.

HWH.

As said if your ticket states deer and vermin then that is all you can shoot. If you were to shoot an animal not listed but that was injured you would have good cause, but you may be asked to prove that so consideration should be given before pulling the trigger.
In this instance where I presume the animal is not in distress (if it is the owner is breaking the law by not getting something done in good time) and is to be killed for other reasons. I can only think it is either not wanted any more! Or is to be killed for consumption. This requires you to have the condition of humane dispatch at the very least and I think if for consumption by others should be done by a qualified slaughter man.
My answer to you is NO.
Good question though and shows a sensible approach by you. I'd be interested in the proper legal answer if that is posted.

tx.

No. And you insurance won't work either.

Proper legal answer.

I think anyone giving advice needs to point out a few things that may or may not be on your certificate ?
There seems to be a misunderstanding regarding things you have authority to shoot with a rifle and separate conditions on how you may use your bullets , a lot of people fail to notice the separate conditions

andy

Probably not.
My FAC has a clause which states `the lawful shooting of deer and the shooting of vermin or, IN CONNECTION WITH THE MANAGEMENT OF ANY ESTATE, OTHER WILDLIFE.`

I would refer the matter to your FLO as you may be in the fertilizer otherwise.

HWH.

really appreciate all the comments, thanks. Just checked and my cert also says In Connection with the Management of any Estate or other wildlife. Does that make a difference??

At a guess I'd say you still can't as livestock covers specific animals that ordinarily wouldn't be considered wildlife. Best bet is to speak to your FEO, I did when in a similar situation and he said best bet was to use a shotgun due to them not having conditions.

If that's all your ticket says them no. Mine makes reference to humane dispatch, not species specific, just the humane killing of animals. And other points in relation to the management of any estate etc.

Spot on . I had to get it on my ticket with the backing of the local knackery and sspca . The only time I use the rifle if its a scatty one just for safety otherwise the captive bolt does the job

I'd say that unless you conditions allow it that you cannot. My FAC says: "Deer, any other lawful quarry, for zeroing on ranges or land".

But as others say what you do with a shot gun is your business between you, the farmer AND YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER...

You need a specific condition if it is planned slaughter (you may also need a slaughter licence is the farmer paid you). I got my .308 added for slaughter for an incident with a feral horse!

Conditions.jpg

I'd say that unless you conditions allow it that you cannot. My FAC says: "Deer, any other lawful quarry, for zeroing on ranges or land".

But as others say what you do with a shot gun is your business between you, the farmer AND YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER...

I don't know the answer to this but it does interest me so I am going to ask. Even with AOLQ on your ticket would that cover farm livestock?
I was asked to shoot a couple of pigs (By the owner of the pigs) not all that long ago as they were reeking havock in a neighbours wood. I declined and refered the owner of the pigs to a licensed slaughterman who did the job as I did not think that the "AOLQ" on my ticket would have covered it.

Just checked and my cert also says In Connection with the Management of any Estate or other wildlife. Does that make a difference??

That sounds very much like part of the standard 'expanding ammunition' condition that we all should have to possess and use the stuff.

Is it that, or part of a condition relating to the firearms? If the former, then it certainly doesn't, (and as others have pointed out it wouldn't cover humane dispatch of livestock even if part of a condition for use of a firearm). Be guided by the condition(s) attached to your rifles, not the ammo.

That sounds very much like part of the standard 'expanding ammunition' condition that we all should have to possess and use the stuff.

Is it that, or part of a condition relating to the firearms? If the former, then it certainly doesn't, (and as others have pointed out it wouldn't cover humane dispatch of livestock even if part of a condition for use of a firearm). Be guided by the condition(s) attached to your rifles, not the ammo.

Orion got there before me - I agree, the humane killing of animals term is in relation to the expanding ammunition rather than a condition on your rifles.

Last edited:

Just double checked, yes you are right that bit was ammo related. Tx.

Mine says humane killing of animals plus usual other stuff , so I'd have thought without that condition the answer would be no

Most farmers own a shotgun and as that would be the best tool for the job, tell him to do it himself...

Why anyone would want to shoot domestic livestock other than an absolute last resort is beyond me.

Why anyone would want to shoot domestic livestock other than an absolute last resort is beyond me

I'm not sure what the options are when livestock needs to be destroyed, but as a shotgun cartridge costs about 25p there might be an economic argument in favour of DIY.

Back