Now the roe with the new camera body, the lens AND the teleconverter

willie_gunn

Things are finally coming together!

Having assembled the new camera body, the 300mm lens and the 1.4 teleconverter I arrived at the normal field this morning at around 06:30.

I'd seen two of the does out in another field but decided to chance it and see if anything came into the cover crop. Sure enough presently there was movement, but to start with it was just a hare:

_DJR1445_zpsifrkvjae.jpg

10 minutes or so later, though, a roe doe appeared at field edge and then slowly made its way into the cover crop:

_DJR1453_zpsjtamlcwe.jpg

_DJR1466_zpshbqvmj0x.jpg

Unfortunately it headed away from me, eventually bedding down on the far side of the field, but not that far from the path I'd be taking back. Having waited for 15 minutes it seemed like the doe was enjoying the morning sunshine, so I decided to walk back up the path and chance my arm that she'd stay bedded down.

Sure enough that's what happened, and she watched me carefully as I made my way with the four dogs back along the track:

_DJR1496_zpsugmlbk4e.jpg

Eventually, however, the net effect of me, plus the camera, plus the four dogs was too much, and she got up and ran 30 yards or so. Clearly these photos are cropped - she wasn't really that close!

_DJR1502_zpsqu9xeode.jpg

_DJR1507_zpsclgl9zi9.jpg

Brief activity over, she stood her ground and watched as the dogs and I neared the corner of the field, eventually sticking out her tongue and walking nonchalantly away.

_DJR1511_zpshrp1gjmh.jpg

_DJR1514_zpsb5sgg9vt.jpg

Things are finally coming together!

Having assembled the new camera body, the 300mm lens and the 1.4 teleconverter I arrived at the normal field this morning at around 06:30.

I'd seen two of the does out in another field but decided to chance it and see if anything came into the cover crop. Sure enough presently there was movement, but to start with it was just a hare:

_DJR1445_zpsifrkvjae.jpg

10 minutes or so later, though, a roe doe appeared at field edge and then slowly made its way into the cover crop:

_DJR1453_zpsjtamlcwe.jpg

_DJR1466_zpshbqvmj0x.jpg

Unfortunately it headed away from me, eventually bedding down on the far side of the field, but not that far from the path I'd be taking back. Having waited for 15 minutes it seemed like the doe was enjoying the morning sunshine, so I decided to walk back up the path and chance my arm that she'd stay bedded down.

Sure enough that's what happened, and she watched me carefully as I made my way with the four dogs back along the track:

_DJR1496_zpsugmlbk4e.jpg

Eventually, however, the net effect of me, plus the camera, plus the four dogs was too much, and she got up and ran 30 yards or so. Clearly these photos are cropped - she wasn't really that close!

_DJR1502_zpsqu9xeode.jpg

_DJR1507_zpsclgl9zi9.jpg

Brief activity over, she stood her ground and watched as the dogs and I neared the corner of the field, eventually sticking out her tongue and walking nonchalantly away.

_DJR1511_zpshrp1gjmh.jpg

_DJR1514_zpsb5sgg9vt.jpg

Great pics Willie keep them coming

Are you using a Full or Cropped Frame camera?
If you are using Full Frame, you will be getting a zoom of 420mm, but if your using a Cropped frame camera, then you will be getting equivalent zoom of (Nikon 630mm / Canon 672mm).

Are you using a Full or Cropped Frame camera?
If you are using Full Frame, you will be getting a zoom of 420mm, but if your using a Cropped frame camera, then you will be getting equivalent zoom of (Nikon 630mm / Canon 672mm).

Full frame - a Nikon D750.

I have a bigger lens and another teleconverter that will give me 800mm of reach, but that really needs the light to improve considerably.

400mm with 2x convertor?
I used to have a 400mm L Series Canon lens. After a day with that, carrying a rifle with a large scope is a doddle. :D

Your pics are getting better and better Dom!! Always a delight to see, especially this morning with the added reach :tiphat:

Dom let me know when your next heading to gods country and I will get you out.Had a chap from STV out videoing we saw 60 roe in 1hour 30 mins.,And he got 33 mins of video .You could get some real cracking pics mate.,

:lol: McKenzie, that was hilarious.

Thank you.

They are slowly improving, but having looked at the winners of this year's Mammal Society Photographer of the Year that were announced yesterday there's still a ways to go!

MPOY 2016: Winners and exhibition | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Wow, there are some truly stunning shots there. Whilst agreeing that ability and equipment are important, equally so being in the right place at the right time is just as important and requires a fair degree of good fortune. You have the kit and the talent Dom and by putting yourself out there so frequently, surely it is just a matter of time until your already outstanding pics deliver something of competition winning quality.

Fantastic Shots, enjoyed viewing them! agree with above, the "Hare" is a real stunner. look forward to seeing more in due course. :tiphat:

Back