comb raiser

willtomand

Been thinking of adding an adjustable Karsten comb raiser to stock of my sauer 202 for improved eye alignment to the scope. Has anyone else done this to their rifle with satisfied result? Been looking for a while now for solution to this and have stayed clear of the strap on (easy on) versions of comb raisers. I want a more permanent fitting. :cool:

You may want to try a strap on version first. I had a marlin 17, that was very low, I could never get comfortable shooting it and I tried a cheeck piece raiser. It certainly raised my shooting position but I was still not comfortable when shooting. I changed it for a cz. You find it difficult moving the rifle if you alter it and find that you still arent happy with it.

Keep us posted on how you get on, I have the same problem since fitting a large scope to my Sako A11 tried a piece of pipe lagging strapped to stock, worked perfect but looked really naff, purchased a rubber comb raiser, works OK but can't keep it attached to the stock for long, have tried all sorts of glue sticky pads etc.
So I need something more permanent, thought of having one made in wood and fixed to the stock, but my wood working skills are not good enough, so need to find someone who could do the job without making a sows ear of it.

i have a black hawk removable comb raiser that you are welcome to try, just stick it in the post when you are finished with.
IMG_0409.jpg

I have been through / am going through this with my 7x65 which has a comb designed for the open sights and for somebody with a fat face. As a temporary fix I have laced a piece of leather over the stock and to this have glued a piece of foam. I now need to cover this and or ask somebody to make proper one for me. It works well, but doesn't damage the stock in any way (walnut). The karsten would probably work well, but IMHO looks somewhat crude for a nice rifle such as a Sauer. If you want an adjustable comb, have a look at kreighoff uk website, I remember there were links to somebody who can a very tidy adjustable comb set up. I did look at this closely, but could n't bring myself to have the stock cut to incorporate this. I think Sauer do an adjustable comb stock for the 202 as well.

Last edited:
Following on from my previouys thread:

Have a look at the Wolverine Model of the 202 - http://www.sigsauer.de/index.php?id=633&lang=en - a much neater way of doing things, but quite why the wood doesn't match is beyond me. Either use your existing stock and modiify it or swap it for this style.

I did talk to the chap Kreighoff site 18 months ago about an similar adjustable comb for my combination gun - http://www.krieghoff.co.uk/servicing.html.

Alternatively go to http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=518576- get one of these kits and have it installed - I would have thought any competent stock maker / cabinet maker / gunsmith could do it.

202 synthetic stock

My 202 is the outback version with the black synthetic stock. This would limit my options and rule out the retro fit involving cutting the stock and sinking adjustable screws? I agree that if I fall out with the rifle and have to sell I'd limit my market somewhat. Will probably go down the removable slip on versions. Any more recommendations? Thanks.

I know its an older thread but before I trudge the same road is there an easy answer??Has anyone tried the 'Gunwor X Comb raiser' fron NZ ? it looks ideal .. but.thanks

I use a Karsten adjustable cheek piece, I know it's not a traditional stalking feature to have on a rifle but it certainly gives better eye alignment, I was hesitant I must admit but I am now very glad I have it.

It can be seen here. . . . .

Ackley013Medium.jpg

Before this I used an AIM cheek bag with a small diameter piece of plastic pipe taped to the inside of it, this worked well but not as good as the Karsten one.

I know it isn't to everyone's liking, especially on a stalking forum, someone did describe it as too "meccano" looking but it works for me;)

Regards
TotalNovice

I've raised the comb quite successfully on my Tikka T3 synthetic...

Gaffer taped a slightly shortened one of these to the stock and then put one of these over to try and make it look less ugly (I had to re-stich a bit at the front to keep it nice and tight to the stock). It feels comfortable and I now have perfect alignment. The 'look' of having rounds on the stock may not be everyone's cup of tea but keeps them handy and more importantly quiet. There are also black neoprene sleeves on the market with no bullet loops if that 'look' is not acceptable.

Also, a similar 'kit' here.

Stig

View attachment 6966
View attachment 6967
View attachment 6968

(edited to add photos)

Last edited:
Willtomand,

Why not try and work out a template and find out what you need. Then get one made up with the correct upper relief ALL in leather, the stock tie being in the raw and can be laced onto the stock and then steamed to tighten the leather? Good Sadler should manage this.

Stan

Try to get hold of some kydex. Make a half template in paper, reverse it to make a symetrical template, draw round it on the kydex, cut it out with a jigsaw, clean it up with file and sandpaper, cut four slots in with a 1/4" router, chuck in the oven for ten minutes then fold round some 1 1/4" timber. Takes about 20 mins and cost about £5. or forget the slots and use self adhesive velcro to avoid drilling the stock. Done several of these and you can make them very professional very easily.

Back