Vehicle advice please.

XYZ

I'm needing to replace my car which has gone beyond the point of me wanting to spend any money on it and get something a bit more practical for my lifestyle.

I've been thinking about getting a truck or some form of 4x4 with room enough for me and my various shooting/fishing hobbies yet also have the room for the family etc.
Must be diesel, reasonable fuel economy and not needing a weekly trip to the garage. (No Land Rover jokes please. ;))

So with a budget of say £3000, what recommendations can you throw my way?

Big Toyota fan.

Hilux seem to have gold plated chasis and diamond headlights from the prices. I have a 4Runner ( uk version, import is the Surf ) standing at 129,000 miles, 4/5 years with me and I love it. Its an either love or hate it looks wise.

Mechanically tough - front brake calipers being weak point. And rear window set up mind boggling.

But turns in 30-32 mpg towing argo or not.

Parts stress free via Roughtrax4x4.

Mine was £2000 off fleabay for a 50.000 mile 1995 N reg 5 years back.

May I say that 4x4 and reasonable fuel economy do not go hand in hand................................. shame.

It might help others if you give an indication of how much stuff and how many people you will normally be moving about. The interior space and load space varies quite a lot between the various vehicles. One with the spare wheel stowed outside and not in the load area can make a big difference for instance.

My own limited experience with 4x4's is running a 93 Cherokee 4.0L for about 6 years and that was replaced with a Frontera 2.2i 16V petrol. THe Frontera has more space inside and larger doors especially the rear ones and an almost flat floor which makes it much easier for both Mum & Dad to get into and out of and the reason for the change.

Neither are good of fuel but my budget was a lot smaller than yours. I paid £650 for a 99 Frontera. It has cost us more than that again now with bringing it up to scratch and a new MOT.

Be aware that some have actually quite small load spaces.

Good luck with your search.

Thank you both for your replies.

There will be two adults, one child, a spaniel and terrier. On shooting days assorted wellies, waterproofs, spare clothes and other stalking/shotgunning kit. Not all of the above will be there at the same time.
I've been managing in a Peugeot 406 coupe for eight years and although surprisingly roomy, anything more will be a bonus.
Three Roebucks and stalking kit have been contained in the boot comfortably!

Pmy mate picked up a ford ranger for very little dosh. He recons it beats his previous examples of 4x4pickips for space and economy. Jim

I think I'd be looking for a ford ranger. They're super reliable, parts are cheap and you'd get a reasonably new one for your budget. If you didn't want a pick up, I'd be tempted by a rav4 or a swb shogun.

Subaru Forester. I have not had one but hear they are ok and drop to a reasonable price fairly quickly.

I think I'd be looking for a ford ranger. They're super reliable, parts are cheap and you'd get a reasonably new one for your budget. If you didn't want a pick up, I'd be tempted by a rav4 or a swb shogun.

+1 for the Ford Ranger

Ive had a Land Rover and L200 and the Ranger wins everytime

Not sure if they have been around long enough to drop to 3k but the skoda octavia scout is an awesome family bus that will easily do 40mpg+ and is pretty good off road (for a car type) They are excellent value for money...

hilux

ive put my hilux 2.4 none turbo on ebay this week, had it just over a year 23000 miles never missed a beat.its a 1997 double cab starting price £2800 worth a look its got a spare set of at2 tyres on rims.

Thank you Gents, any opinions on the Nissan Navara?
I have a Nissan D22 kingcab - essentially the commercial version of the Navara. I have found it to be a useful workhorse with adequate speed/acceleration for long distance road trips and with the right tyres (All Terrain) goes most places off road, with a useful towing capacity. Repairs wise I have just replaced a propshaft UJ at 79000 miles but otherwise no problem. Fuel consumption (unless towing or in 4WD) around 32mpg. atb Tim

Suzuki Vitara or grand Vitara may be an option but not sure if they do a diesel. I have a N reg 2ltre V6 petrol automatic. It is thirsty but totally reliable, goes anywhere. Cost £750 with 70k miles. I see on a recent post another member swears by his Vitara.

D

The Navara I believe has a large turning circle, so may prove difficult in some situations.
The L200 gets good reviews.
The Frod Ranger has a reputation for breaking rear springs.
Land Rovers, say no more, love them or hate them.
Depending on what you need the 4x4 cars such as the Forrester etc may be a better option.
Good luck

I seem to recall that the Nissan Navara's had some serious engine failure issues. The diesel at a certain mileage seems to throw a crank out which of course trashes the block. I'm sure a web search would show if I remember correctly or not.

The GM Frontera 2.2 diesel is quite good on fuel but they are prone to lift pump probs and if that happens it's not a cheap item to fix. It seems the slightly older 2.5L Diesel is better that engine was used is several other makes too I believe.

Of course you could have a look for an slightly older Toyota they seem to be fairly good on fuel. Friend has one and e says it's good on fuel and his is an auto.

I seem to recall that the Nissan Navara's had some serious engine failure issues. The diesel at a certain mileage seems to throw a crank out which of course trashes the block. I'm sure a web search would show if I remember correctly or not.
Yes , I have looked into this, according to Nissan 4% of vehicles constructed between 1999 & 2006 were fitted with a (3rd main) bearing that may have been defective but they have no means of knowing which. They have extended the warranty period to 93,000 miles. Presumably by then the vehicle will have developed the fault if it was going too as most apparently blow up at 30k - 50k miles. Having consulted various members of the 4 x 4 motor trade it appears that many of the D22s/Navaras that have had this problem have not always had the recommended oil changes. No problem of this nature so far with my current one nor was there with my previous one.atbTim

Back