Boar on your ticket!???

BunnyDoom

I've just read this article on shooting UK where it says you can't shoot boar unless it specifically states boar on your licence... my licensing dept removed "boar" during my last variation and replaced it with AOLQ telling me that it covered Boar... SUK article sounds like total piffle to me...?

Wild boar shooting in the UK, Shooting wild boar | Home Feature | Shooting UK

"WILD BOAR ON YOUR FAC
Wild boar do not come under the classification of 'game' or 'vermin'. Having these on your firearms certificate does not allow you to shoot wild boar legally.

In order to shoot wild boar in Britain your firearms certificate must specifically state 'wild boar'.

A certificate to shoot wild boar is only granted for .308 .270 and 30/06 calibre weapons."

p.s. I hope no one is using 300WM or 357 H&H on Boar as it's illegal apparently!!! ;) Bwhahahaa!

I've just read this article on shooting UK where it says you can't shoot boar unless it specifically states boar on your licence... my licensing dept removed "boar" during my last variation and replaced it with AOLQ telling me that it covered Boar... SUK article sounds like total piffle to me...?

Wild boar shooting in the UK, Shooting wild boar | Home Feature | Shooting UK

"WILD BOAR ON YOUR FAC
Wild boar do not come under the classification of 'game' or 'vermin'. Having these on your firearms certificate does not allow you to shoot wild boar legally.

In order to shoot wild boar in Britain your firearms certificate must specifically state 'wild boar'.

A certificate to shoot wild boar is only granted for .308 .270 and 30/06 calibre weapons."

p.s. I hope no one is using 300WM or 357 H&H on Boar as it's illegal apparently!!! ;) Bwhahahaa!

I have AOLQ for my 6.5x55 and was told by TVP that it covers boar...

Just left them a vmx to double check - has to be worth the price of a phone call

Cheers
i.

Surely as Boar are legal quarry then AOLQ cover them.

Cheers

Agreed, but I'm now thinking that it's only the case if the AOLQ is against a calibre deemed boar legal.

I have AOLQ on my .22lr, but I'm not going to shoot boar with it - ok, i appreciate that I'm stating the bleeding obvious, but you get my point on legal calibres

Cheers
iain

Assuming things will get you in very hot water
I took the time and expense and phoned my FSEL dept and they explained unless it is stated on you certificate you are not allowed to shoot boar other FSEL dept might deem its ok on AOLQ but lots simply don't allow it so make the phone call if in doubt they really are very nice people if you treat them with respect and behave civil but it would appear from some members recent post they would not know the meaning of the word.

there isn't a legal boar caliber though only recommended, obviously common sense states you wouldn't shoot a decent size boar with anything too small but if you had AOLQ and a young boar I can't see anything legally would stop you using what you wanted. It might be pushing the essence of the condition a little but not a lot they could do about it. In the US its surprising how many pigs are shot with .223 and similar

there isn't a legal boar caliber though only recommended, obviously common sense states you wouldn't shoot a decent size boar with anything too small but if you had AOLQ and a young boar I can't see anything legally would stop you using what you wanted. It might be pushing the essence of the condition a little but not a lot they could do about it. In the US its surprising how many pigs are shot with .223 and similar

+1... and if a .22lr can take down a polar bear... ;)

Right, had a quick return call from my FEO who confirmed that I'm ok with boar with the AOLQ on my 6.5x55...

I mentioned the Home Office document, stating .270 min, and the response was "it's only a guideline".

Boar have not got too huge in this country (yet), so if going overseas to get onto them, I'd hire something much bigger anyway, so I'm perfectly happy that I've covered myself.

Always worth the call to be sure...

Cheers
iain

Last edited:
More bu11**** from a magazine that is frequently full of it.

What exactly do the words "deer and ANY OTHER lawful quarry" mean? Another self-styled "expert" getting in print more misinformation with little or no understanding of the law.

Is this the same magazine that carried the article about the guy going wild boar shooting in France and...wait for it...RECOMMENDING taking a 308 Winchester chambered rifle?

sounds like balls to me

we don't have "boar laws" in the UK only "Deer laws"!

everything else is discretionary including calibre
would love to see someone justify how a 30-06 is Ok but a 7mm Rem Mag is not!

Assuming things will get you in very hot water
I took the time and expense and phoned my FSEL dept and they explained unless it is stated on you certificate you are not allowed to shoot boar other FSEL dept might deem its ok on AOLQ but lots simply don't allow it so make the phone call if in doubt they really are very nice people if you treat them with respect and behave civil but it would appear from some members recent post they would not know the meaning of the word.

A very good reply sir
I had to go on a booked stalk to have it put on my ticket here in somt
avon and somt very good to deal with no complaints from me
two weeks later shot three two mins from my back door
regards pete

I also had this problem, my FAO granted me a .270 after he had me jump a few hoops first, DSC1 followed by evidence of both previous and future booked stalks. I asked if i could have Boar on my ticket giving 2 reasons 1 being that the .270 is a recommended min cal for them and as i am on the coast i can be in France in an hour where the .270 was a legal cal (mil cals not allowed, although changes are rumored ), My FAO declined my request saying " show me bookings of hunts taken and advanced bookings blah blah blah. he did grant AOLQ though. This is what BASC had to say.

My question to BASC
Hi thanks for that, My main concern is I asked for boar to be added to my cert, The grounds for aquireing the .270 was for deer and just wanted boar to be named as the 270 is a boar legal calibre. Boar was refused as they wanted proof of booked hunts. I asked for fox also on the 270 so if i was on a stalk and was required to shoot a fox as is usually the caseif one crosses your path. Which he agreed but when the cert came back fox was not named on this caliber but was others. Can you advise from the attactched photo how i would stand with fox and boar with the .270 regards Shaun

BASC'S reply
Dear Mr Vale,

Thank you for your emails, I apologise for the delay in responding but I have been on leave until now.

The condition for your .270 rifle does include boar and fox. It states Deer as the primary reason for possessing it, this is important for the purposes of assessing good reason at renewal and states the main reason you applied for the rifle on first application. The words any lawful quarry allows you to shoot anything lawful under wildlife laws from grey squirrel to wild boar.

So in essence whether or not they have refused to grant boar specifically in previous applications, this new any lawful quarry condition does away with any need for you to approach the police for new species to be added, it is now your freedom of choice to shot any lawful animal as and when you wish to do so on land where you have permission and permission to shoot those animals from the holder of shooting rights if it is not yourself who holds them.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

MATT PERRING
Firearms & Explosives Officer

So who wants to be the test case then ????

I also had this problem, my FAO granted me a .270 after he had me jump a few hoops first, DSC1 followed by evidence of both previous and future booked stalks. I asked if i could have Boar on my ticket giving 2 reasons 1 being that the .270 is a recommended min cal for them and as i am on the coast i can be in France in an hour where the .270 was a legal cal (mil cals not allowed, although changes are rumored ), My FAO declined my request saying " show me bookings of hunts taken and advanced bookings blah blah blah. he did grant AOLQ though. This is what BASC had to say.

My question to BASC
Hi thanks for that, My main concern is I asked for boar to be added to my cert, The grounds for aquireing the .270 was for deer and just wanted boar to be named as the 270 is a boar legal calibre. Boar was refused as they wanted proof of booked hunts. I asked for fox also on the 270 so if i was on a stalk and was required to shoot a fox as is usually the caseif one crosses your path. Which he agreed but when the cert came back fox was not named on this caliber but was others. Can you advise from the attactched photo how i would stand with fox and boar with the .270 regards Shaun

BASC'S reply
Dear Mr Vale,

Thank you for your emails, I apologise for the delay in responding but I have been on leave until now.

The condition for your .270 rifle does include boar and fox. It states Deer as the primary reason for possessing it, this is important for the purposes of assessing good reason at renewal and states the main reason you applied for the rifle on first application. The words any lawful quarry allows you to shoot anything lawful under wildlife laws from grey squirrel to wild boar.

So in essence whether or not they have refused to grant boar specifically in previous applications, this new any lawful quarry condition does away with any need for you to approach the police for new species to be added, it is now your freedom of choice to shot any lawful animal as and when you wish to do so on land where you have permission and permission to shoot those animals from the holder of shooting rights if it is not yourself who holds them.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

MATT PERRING
Firearms & Explosives Officer

So who wants to be the test case then ????

Hi Shaun

Given the response I got from my FEO this afternoon (see earlier post), I'd suggest that BASC are correct and that your FEO is struggling with the AOLQ condition...

It seems that AOLQ has reared it's head again as something that not all FEOs are completely up to speed with, and not all Forces are providing as standard fare.

Plenty of comment in this recent thread:
Which Forces Issue AOLQ?

More than happy for us to get onto some land with boar, nail one each and phone our respective FEOs!!

Cheers
iain

My FEO in Sussex said I'd need written proof of boar on land that I had permission to be on and a minimum .270 calibre (I have AOLQ on my FAC) but when I asked BASC to clarify the LEGAL aspect of shooting boar they said the AOLQ would cover it. The only stipulation was to ensure a humane kill otherwise I could be in trouble of animal welfare law. I was asking from a curiosity angle as don't have boar and shoot a .243 and was told that smaller sows and young boar should be fine but to chest shoot a large boar would potentially put you on dodgy ground if the police/RSPCA found out and decided to try and prosecute if the animal died a particularly grim and slow death. I suppose if you're a very good consistent shot and were head shooting then you could use a much smaller calibre than the recommended .270 and remain legal?

Iain

I previously had my FAC specifically conditioned for boar but when it came time for renewal (18 months ago?) I had a call from my FEO saying that, in Thames Valley at least, they are removing species-specific language and replacing it with AOLQ. I then specifically asked if this would cover me for boar and was told "Yes".

In the same way, i used to have certain rifles that were conditioned for deer and fox, and others that were conditioned just for deer. When AOLQ came in all of this mullarkey disappeared.

Sanity at last.

​willie_gunn

My FEO in Sussex said I'd need written proof of boar on land that I had permission to be on and a minimum .270 calibre (I have AOLQ on my FAC) but when I asked BASC to clarify the LEGAL aspect of shooting boar they said the AOLQ would cover it. The only stipulation was to ensure a humane kill otherwise I could be in trouble of animal welfare law. I was asking from a curiosity angle as don't have boar and shoot a .243 and was told that smaller sows and young boar should be fine but to chest shoot a large boar would potentially put you on dodgy ground if the police/RSPCA found out and decided to try and prosecute if the animal died a particularly grim and slow death. I suppose if you're a very good consistent shot and were head shooting then you could use a much smaller calibre than the recommended .270 and remain legal?

Thats weird as Lewes were the ones who gave me "boar" then replaced it with AOLQ... I've emailed them so will let you know what they say.

This was almost a year ago when I got some land checked and added to my FAC and when it came back about 2 months later it had AOLQ for all my rifles so maybe they changed their policy in the time it was being processed?? I know Sussex firearms licensing department is joining with Surrey so I expect we'll see a few changes, hopefully good ones.

Well we all see what I get back from L&B shortly
previous told they condition for the largest species for the need/good cause and automatically cover for "lesser species"
​are boar lesser than deer?

Back