Pakistan/ death penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoby270

In light of recent events in Pakistan the govt there has re_introduced the death penalty, your views please.

The death penalty is a vast ranging debate, possibly not really one for a deer stalking site. As far as this country goes, certainly whilst we are in Europe, it's a non starter. Back in the days when Parliament used to have regular votes on the subject, there was always a telling majority against it.

As for Pakistan, I would suggest most of us are not well placed to know what people's views are there. But it appears that the death penalty, or indeed any other punishment for terrorists is a tad academic as the terrorists don't get to the point when they're arrested without being killed.

Support it 100% and believe it should be in every country. It may have been hit and miss in proving someone's guilt/innocence in the past and a lot of innocent people may have been executed who were 100% innocent but with today's technology it should be easy to prove someone's guilty.

I suppose the next question then is was it intentional or not to cause a death but my answer would be if someone has gone tooled up, ie carrying a knife etc then they intend to use it regardless on whether it will kill or not.

It was on the radio this morning that a gang of 13 year old kids stabbed and killed a man for whatever reason. One arrested and the others released. Why was a 13 year old carrying a knife? He has taken a life and so should now forfeit his,end of. Maybe if people knew there would be a death penalty facing them then they would think twice about violence and going out carrying a knife etc. Rant over

I fundamentally do not and will never support the death penalty. It is a barbaric practice that should be confined to the annals of history, a long with corporal punishment.

And as has been shown in places like the US, the only people who actually are executed are those who cannot afford a good defence, or are mentally unstable.

And having the death penalty just will make martyres out of the fanatics.

I really should know better, but I just can't pretend not to have seen this.

It may have been hit and miss in proving someone's guilt/innocence in the past and a lot of innocent people may have been executed who were 100% innocent but with today's technology it should be easy to prove someone's guilty.

If you're referring to DNA evidence, it is not infallible by any means, useful as it is. Usually, it just serves to indicate that someone was present somewhere, or in contact with something that was. There are false-positive results, and degrees of uncertainty involved, with matches rarely being perfect given the nature of the samples. So given all of that, would you still be willing to take a chance on killing someone based on DNA evidence?

Why was a 13 year old carrying a knife? He has taken a life and so should now forfeit his, end of. Maybe if people knew there would be a death penalty facing them then they would think twice about violence and going out carrying a knife etc. Rant over

I don't know about you but I often carried a penknife when I was 13. I don't think I should have been imprisoned for it and I certainly shouldn't have been worried that I could be killed for it. More to the point though, you're advocating killing a child, for Christ's sake.

As for Pakistan, what they have on their hands is really a civil war. The death penalty is a moot point, as someone has said before.

Corporal punishment should be brought back without any doubt, a good thrashing tends to focus the mind.

I fear that this thread will do nothing but discredit SD as inevitably it will end in tears. I would nip it in the bud.

I fear that this thread will do nothing but discredit SD as inevitably it will end in tears. I would nip it in the bud.

I have lost friends over this very subject and agree that this thread could put this fine forum in the lime light for all the wrong reasons

Bob

Corporal punishment should be brought back without any doubt, a good thrashing tends to focus the mind.

Will have to disagree with you here. All it does is just build up resentment and treats a problem with violence. Kids doing wrong, get a good thrashing is self perpetuating and just leads to more violence.

I am am not saying kids doing wrong shouldn't have their minds focused, but much better ways of doing it than a good thrashing.

Will have to disagree with you here. All it does is just build up resentment and treats a problem with violence. Kids doing wrong, get a good thrashing is self perpetuating and just leads to more violence.

I am am not saying kids doing wrong shouldn't have their minds focused, but much better ways of doing it than a good thrashing.

Yup, I've noticed the kids getting better behaved since they stopped it. I've got eyes, I've got ears, and I've been around a long time.

Yes, like taking them on an outdoor pursuit course, 4x4 driving maybe, or camping in the Lake District?
Punish them for their behaviour by treating them to the above ?

I'm sure this will upset everyone who thinks they have the right to debate whatever they like on an open forum, and to some extent I agree. However experience has taught me that it will not be debated in a civil manner and will descend into an undignified slanging match, therefore I am closing it before it reaches that stage.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back