Beaters Day

crouch valley

Its our beaters day this Saturday coming and I was just wondering what you other keepers do to make it a extra special day for some hard working lads. We are all going out for a meal afterwards. Just wondering if there are any things you get up to for a laugh like best shot most missed. I'm sure it will be a good day any way as loads of birds about for them.
Cheer's for any replies

personally i take breakfast for them things like port mince pies cake etc , then give them as good a day as i can usually 200 plus head cocks only and pertridges
sweep stakes for the following

first pigeon of the day

number of shots

number of bag at the end of the day

draw for teams but try and make each walking team actually beat (easier said than done) personally on my days i wont carry a gun at all or at most for one drive

any body who hasnt had a shot or kill bt dinner time then gets to have a stand untill he does

hope this helps

personally i take breakfast for them things like port mince pies cake etc , then give them as good a day as i can usually 200 plus head cocks only and pertridges
sweep stakes for the following

first pigeon of the day

number of shots

number of bag at the end of the day

draw for teams but try and make each walking team actually beat (easier said than done) personally on my days i wont carry a gun at all or at most for one drive

any body who hasnt had a shot or kill bt dinner time then gets to have a stand untill he does

hope this helps

Cheers Spud I should have said its not the first time I've done this just looking for some new Ideas to mix it up a bit. I've got the teams sorted and drives we have a sweep for number of birds and shots. I like the Idea of breakfast could get a BBQ breakfast going

At the shoot i beat on theres a nice meal afterwards where the paying guns normally have theirs.Wine and beer thrown in for those not driving.
Not everyone likes to shoot, so those that do chip in and make it worth their while.Its always a great social occasion.

Cheers Spud I should have said its not the first time I've done this just looking for some new Ideas to mix it up a bit. I've got the teams sorted and drives we have a sweep for number of birds and shots. I like the Idea of breakfast could get a BBQ breakfast going

breakfast does take a bit of forward planning , some thing i started last year was leaving the big main drive , you know the wood that birds tend to end up in the last light any way i leave a big drive for the last drive odf the day and we all woalk it in to the middle and in theory every body should be shooting at driven birds but you have to watch the safety side

breakfast does take a bit of forward planning , some thing i started last year was leaving the big main drive , you know the wood that birds tend to end up in the last light any way i leave a big drive for the last drive odf the day and we all woalk it in to the middle and in theory every body should be shooting at driven birds but you have to watch the safety side

We use to do that on a shoot I shot years ago good fun but I agree with the safety side. I'm afraid I've not got any woods big enough to do that on my shoot all small spinneys all my drives are cover strips

I've got some twelve gauge for you oh sorry you shoot 20 bore. As for lady loaders I could ask around the village and see what Essex talent is about they could use there white hand bags as cartridge bags.

Cool I will bring the auto then and if you you see the nice blond from the village she can load

20 bore.........auto...... Whatever next - wearing the same tweed as the head keeper?!

You might as well turn up wearing stalking Levi's or DPM - with a lurcher on a bit of bailer twine.......

And as for that blonde, I imagine she'll want you to shoot a bigger load than 20 bore.

Last edited:
best beaters days - ones when you can shoot hens!

even better beaters days, when the keeper announces that as there was so much stock seen on the ground that they have decided to have another do tomorrow, and that you are all invited.

Seriously, the best days are informal but safe, everyone there to enjoy themselves, not too many guns. It does help if there are some birds left aswell.

I'm sure they will all have a great day, pleanty of chocolate for the crew, and tip bits for the dogs it is there day too ;)

Enjoy ( make sure you count the shots fired )

ask each man how many theyve shot and add up the scores before you count the bag , theres some liars out there

20 bore.........auto...... Whatever next - wearing the same tweed as the head keeper?!

You might as well turn up wearing stalking Levi's or DPM - with a lurcher on a bit of bailer twine.......

And as for that blonde, I imagine she'll want you to shoot a bigger load than 20 bore.

To be honest Simon Id rater have the DPM brigade I've had all the gear and know Idea brigade. Ive got a top team of lads now. That blond would want a man not a boy Alex can keep dreaming.

best beaters days - ones when you can shoot hens!

even better beaters days, when the keeper announces that as there was so much stock seen on the ground that they have decided to have another do tomorrow, and that you are all invited.

Seriously, the best days are informal but safe, everyone there to enjoy themselves, not too many guns. It does help if there are some birds left aswell.

We shoot hens on our days. They are all a experienced guns so should have a safe fun day.

Quite a few ladies at our shoot already ! As for the beaters it's their day starts as always with buttys beat one stand one no guns in the beating line except two flankers lunch out on the shoot to keep the time thing to a min then the guns wife's and mine do a whacking great spread for tea .i operate a no nonsense thing with the lads no blowing stuff apart as so often happens if it's a free for all ! If anyone happens to miss a stonker or any other cock up they have to wear a Stetson 5 gallon hat for a drive which is a bit of fun then we have another day for my mates and the boss's too very informal usually the last day of the season .
norma

Norma I totally agree it is there day and I hope they enjoy it but we do shoot to a standard no low birds the same with blowing them up. We allow our walking guns to shoot but only the birds that come back as long as they are safe. We have the same rules for our beaters as our normal guns and I will have no problem telling them about low shooting safety has to be paramount.
I could definitely do with some lady's on our shoot as there is plenty of washing up and tea making to do women should no there place LOL I'm safe to put that as the wife dose not go on here I've never seen a good female shot any way :stir:. We will be having a clear up day on the 26th for the lads that help out on the shoot throughout the year then that's us done for another season.

I must admit bacon butties are a nice touch first thing, a locaol shhot orders them in from local greasy spoon plus pies at 11's and then a meal after the flighting, the next day bacon butties again with an early finish and barbie. Quality

It also runs the sweep a bit different

bag + shots fired x no of legal quarry species (so if 100 birds + 300 shots= 400 but an extra species or 2 can really alter the result)

this shoot has quite a varied quarry list, 1 keepers day we had 13 species so u can imagine how high the numbers are, nearest higher guess. once it goes above ur number ur bust

Hope you all have a good beaters day.
We have been told that ours is on the 2nd of feb, cocks only!!!!!
I suddenly can't make the rest of the season.

rem

Back