What the hell is this

Wingy

View attachment 46813
As per title looks like some sort of caterpillar on steroids. Just caught my 6 month old Weimaraner running around the garden with this in her mouth. Has a nasty looking horn on its head & wondered if it could have done the dog any harm? She didn't bite it and it's still alive.
yesterday she picked a toad up now that was funny when she started to foam at the mouth.
wingy

Possibly a Green Smooth Horned Caterpillar. Looks like that to me.

I have done a bit of searching beyond my kids bug book. It looks exactly like a tomato hawk moth.( as well as about 100 other types)

Last edited:
Possibly an Eyed Hawk moth or Poplar Hawk moth, if you have still got it put it in a glass container with some dried peat etc, it will go under and pupate, put some form of stick in the jar and leave it alone next year it will come out climb the stick expand its wings and dry them when you have had a good look at it let it go near where you found it

I had one of them the morning after the missis tried to cook thai green curry.

Possibly an Eyed Hawk moth or Poplar Hawk moth, if you have still got it put it in a glass container with some dried peat etc, it will go under and pupate, put some form of stick in the jar and leave it alone next year it will come out climb the stick expand its wings and dry them when you have had a good look at it let it go near where you found it

I've put it in a bucket with a fine mesh top, a grass sod & various leaves. The little girl has been checking every 5 minutes to see if it has changed into a butterfly (moth) yet!

Back