Puppies due!

SC243

I am currently waiting for my liver and white spaniel bitch to pup. Due next week around Tuesday/Wednesday.

First time for her, first time for me. She's been scanned etc and all is ok, she's huge at the moment and doesn't settle easily.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips?

Best advice i have is once she starts, monitor but don't fuss and intrude unless there's a problem.

First bitch i had, i couldn't get the wife out of the room nor drag her away from fussing over the bitch. Unfortunately this stressed the bitch and she killed/ate the pups overnight.

I have Welsh Terriers and they both typically whelp 2 or 3 days earlier than they are 'supposed' to... Watch for a restless night, if she is inside - where have you set up the whelping box (if you're using one)? Typically she will get very restless 12-24 hours before she's about to give birth (bot of mine tried to get under the bed and whelp there!), then right before (up to an hour) she will start digging up her bed/whelping box, turning around a lot, panting a lot, and perhaps licking at the vulva. As this is her first she may not know what to do - or she may be a natural mum and just get on with it, both of mine did...

As has been said, try not to interfere unless it looks like something is wrong. Luckily both of mine are very tolerant of me and seem perfectly content to let me mess around with the pups even during the births, but not all bitches are like this and you dont want to lose any...

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes! :)

Cheers for the advice, the bitch has her own kennel outside with a nice bed which I intend to convert for whelping this weekend. I think keeping an eye on, but letting mother nature take it course is the way ahead!

Cheers for your advice again people, the bitch has just delivered ten pups. Couldn't believe it, 5 dogs and 5 bitches and all are feeding and healthy!!

Great to hear. Hope the little blighters prosper well and you find good homes for them.

Please post some pics so we can all go "Aaaaahhhh" ;)

willie_gunn

Fantastic! Well done to you and the bitch... :) Feed her plenty of liquid - try and get her to eat some watery rice & chicken if you can, although if she's eaten all the placentas she may not want it. You'll find that it's hard to make her leave the pups to eat, drink, pee & poo for the first few days. Leave a bowl of water as close to her as you can so that she can drink without having to move far. Let her eat as much as she wants when she wants - she should be eating roughly 3 times her normal amount of food in order to keep up milk production...

Good luck with it all! :)

Here's one of my Welsh Terrier bitches with a litter of 11 day old pups....

PC180005.jpg

I'm grateful they only have 4 or 5 - ten is a lot of work! :)

Pippa

Great news, gald all went well, the next 3-4 weeks will be a breeze, but once those little sod's find their legs and voices!!!! That's when the fun and the work begins. Enjoy it while it's happening and good luck finding them homes.

Back