My Sika Stag - Just rx'd from the Taxidermist

Robbo25

Hi,

Chuffed to Bits and after a long time in the freezer and after a number of months waiting, I've just received my Sika Head back from David Hollingworth.

A few pictures enclosed.

I kept the Stag for a mount as he was my first Sika Stag, he's got an abnormal roman noes (not too clear in the pictures) and some interesting antlers.

Just need to agree with the Mrs where he's going to proudly hang now.

Robbo25

Attachments

• IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 148
Hi Dan,

I'm no expert on the Sika but will check when I speak with the land owner next I'll double check and see what he thinks.

From Memory the two types of Sika (Manchuria and Formosa) were different in size. If I have it the right way around the Formosa is smaller then the Manchuria and the deer shown is off the smaller genetic line (Formaosa I think). For what it's worth I dont believe there is Red in this and the area it was shot has no cross breeding present i.e Red's with a look of Sika about them.

Cheers

Robbo25

Hi robbo i don't think there is any wild Manchuria and Formosa sika only jap sika where abouts did you shoot it mate looks like it has a touch of red in it still a very nice head .

gadget

Hi Gadget,

Shot in Invernesshire..

Looking at him again.. you could all be right. Half breed or otherwise since doing the DSC1 course many years ago and then getting into Stalking I always wanted to shoot a Sika.

Delighted to have him home and on the wall at long last. Only problem is the Mrs has said no more!

She may be right!

Robbo25

Hi Robbo

Can you forward me the details of the chap as i have a Munty in the freezer that is barking to take his place in my conservatory. Well done on the sika mate.

Rgds

Hi,

You'd be barking mad not too then!

Taxidermist name is David Hollingworth. As said in the other thread he's just set up a new website

www.penninetaxidermy.com

But you can get him in his work shop on 01457 766633

Here's a picture of the Roe he did for me.

Thanks

Robbo

Attachments

• Roe Head.jpg
    Roe Head.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Robbo

Spoke with David, should have the munty off as soon as the wife gives me the nod ;) theres some lovely stuff on his website. I love the Lion with the zebra in the mammals page.

Rgds

Hi,

Great stuff. Pleased you spoke with David and I'm sure he will do you a fantastic job.

When you get it back please do share the pictures on the site.. It's always nice to see the work and other peoples heads.

Regards the lion and Zebra.. Yes.. and I love the 3 roe jumping the barbed wire fence.

The cows a one off!!! but is amazing work.

I'm told there will be some pictures of the rhino he's just completed soon... so keep you eye's out for that one.

All the best

Robbo25

Gadget,

Manchurian Sika are in the wild in the UK. But not Formosan to my knowledge. The mount looks like its had a touch of Red in the bloodline.

ATB
Sikamalc

What a good job the lad has made of the mount . I remember well looking down on the fallen Stag and my first thought on seeing the deformation of the antler was that he must have suffered an illness or injury while still in velvet. The photos give him an elongated look to his face which was not so evident in life. I can see how folk would think he had a bit of Red in him but I would doubt it. He had a bit of a twisted nose in fact probably an injury. The Sika in this forest originate from an importation from a Japanese park where many races and subspecies ran together so when they were brought to Scotland they were already of many mixes of types including Formosan. I believe it is this influence which gives them the especially small compact type we see today. Yes no pure Formosan animals can be found here and in fact that subspecies is quite rare outside some zoos and parks. Well done Darren I will send you an e-mail soon as I have a few worries just now. David

Gadget,

Manchurian Sika are in the wild in the UK. But not Formosan to my knowledge. The mount looks like its had a touch of Red in the bloodline.

ATB
Sikamalc

I know of some wild Formosans ( escaped from park 20+ years ago) in the East of the country and some Manchurians in the Midlands.

possible sika hybrid.

Hi,

Chuffed to Bits and after a long time in the freezer and after a number of months waiting, I've just received my Sika Head back from David Hollingworth.

A few pictures enclosed.

I kept the Stag for a mount as he was my first Sika Stag, he's got an abnormal roman noes (not too clear in the pictures) and some interesting antlers.

Just need to agree with the Mrs where he's going to proudly hang now.

Robbo25
Hi Robbo,Looking at your sika?there is room for improvment as the sika stag should have dark eyes and by the looks of it maybe jht supplys form,sorry it just doesnt look right,im a deerstalker and usualy hybridsshow more on the reds than the sika,:confused:

Back