mastitis in a bitch

dean

has anyone had this problem in there bitch have been to a vet just wanted to know if the wound heals up its self with a course of antibiotics its about a 2 inch wound thanks

Dean, if she has already started antibiotics the wound should start to dry up within about 7 days, but I would assume that your vet has asked to see your dog again to monitor it as a two inch wound is quite large. Sometimes there can be a secondary infection which may need different antibiotics and I would expect to see her with a satelite dish around her neck to stop her licking it. The teat or area of gland infected may be permanently damaged and she could end up dry in that area if she is put in pup in the future. The infection has to be treated first, otherwise your dogs body won't be able to fight the infection and repair the damage at the same time. Always follow the advise of your vet, but if you don't like what you hear go to another for a second opinion. A good dog his hard to replace.

I'm not a vet and luckily have never suffered this problem with any of my own dogs, but have seen it before when I worked in a vets.

ATB

ADE

never been to the vet before & neithers my labrador, they are just after money money money... touch wood
Dean, if she has already started antibiotics the wound should start to dry up within about 7 days, but I would assume that your vet has asked to see your dog again to monitor it as a two inch wound is quite large. Sometimes there can be a secondary infection which may need different antibiotics and I would expect to see her with a satelite dish around her neck to stop her licking it. The teat or area of gland infected may be permanently damaged and she could end up dry in that area if she is put in pup in the future. The infection has to be treated first, otherwise your dogs body won't be able to fight the infection and repair the damage at the same time. Always follow the advise of your vet, but if you don't like what you hear go to another for a second opinion. A good dog his hard to replace.

I'm not a vet and luckily have never suffered this problem with any of my own dogs, but have seen it before when I worked in a vets.

ATB

ADE

did they leave the wound open .its true what the other replyer said money money money .think av gave them enough in the last 5 weeks

Know where your coming from. Last night ended up taking my bitch to the nearest vet at 8:00 p.m for out of hours emergency treatment, some t**t had thrown smashed glass over a gateway and into the hedge. My bitch GWP was working the bottom of the hedge and nearly completely sliced the pads off her rear left. Vets had her for 2 hours and my pocket is now £300 lighter. Then again she's a good dog and I would hate to loose her.

ADE

did they leave the wound open .its true what the other replyer said money money money .think av gave them enough in the last 5 weeks
Yes, wound was usually left open so it could heal from inside out, otherwise infection could be "closed" into the wound. In one really bad case we had to do a partial masectomy, but were lucky that the infection had not erupted. Gather from your post that it's been going on for a while. There is a gel called intrasite gel and special pads ( think their called Melonin) that can be used to help the healing process, but the infection must be under control.

ADE

a two inch cut does seem harsh imho.
we used to get cows with it and slashed their teats.
never two inchs and thats in a cow.
maybe dogs differ

hope it goes ok......

atb f.

It is better to let the vet keep an eye on it because infection can become really bad really quick and peole see an animal and will be quick to inform the RSPCA of not caring for your dog and also it will cost more in the long run if you don't take the dog back with infections.

Dean - 270wsm initial reply is good advice.
Some of the subsequent replies are less helpful (calmac). Not many vets are in it for the money, there will be some. Name another profession that provides 24/7 cover on a local basis, - that has cost implications, ever called a plumber out at night? The big money is in the pharmaceutical firms.

regards

HL

Hello Yes we have had 2 bitches that have had this happen on one the teat looked as if it had exploded however they leave them open to drain and heal from the inside out .It is incredable how they mend. If the bitch is in good health there is little to worry about.

Mark

thanks its true what u said a course of pain killers and it was gone in 14 days . Back to her best now

Hmmmm... my wife had mastitis, not pleasant!!!

Does that qualify for a thread entitled "Mastitis in a bitch?" :norty:

Back