Variation advice

N.F.W.M

I am thinking about re barreling my .243 with an Ackley Improved .243. Do i need a variation to go from .243 to .243 A/I ?

Thanks

I enquired about this and was told - quote: "they are the same calibre... so no variation req'd" ;)

forgive me for my ignorance, but can somebody explain the difference ?? between the two
thanks

The AI has less of a taper on the neck making the internal volume slightly bigger and therefore capable of holding a couple of grains more powder without compressing the load.

forgive me for my ignorance, but can somebody explain the difference ?? between the two
thanks

as they say,worth a 1000
378px-243_with_243_Ackley.jpg

atb paul

Hmmm, just looked at my FAC, and it just says ".243", no mention of case shape/size.

However, I've got .22 rimfire too, but I don't think I'd get away with a .22WMR on that, even though it's the same calibre!

Of course, it's different, as the .22WMR is considerably more powerful than the .22LR, but it does highlight some of the inconsistencies of the firearms law.

Probably best to tell them anyway, as they are fairly close in performance, so I can't see them being able to complain about it.

This an interesting question which I've never seen come up before, so don't really know what the answer is.

It applies whenever anyone takes a fancy to a rifle chambered for a wildcat cartridge in the same calibre they happen to have a vacant slot for. In theory you could get yourself a 'magnum' rifle this way although the FLD only intended you to have one for a standard cartridge.

It's really the same situation where someone with a Variation for a 6.5mm (nominally 6.5x55 say) buys himself a 6.5x68 which is really in the .264 Win Mag. class. If you applied for that specific calibre you might not get it! Doubtful in Norfolk maybe? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't want to raise the argument about what the Firearms Act actually says .... I know that's 'calibre' but most FLD's talk 'cartridge' anyway. I suppose the difference with a wildcat cartridge is that there's no commercial ammo available for it, so you can't be accused of buying a whiz-bang jobby the FLD didn't really want you to have.

It's not our fault that the Police Licensing People are too lazy, stupid, dumb or just plain ignorant to lear about their jobs. In what other job, excpet maybe being an MP, could you get away with knowing little to nothing about what your paid to do?

Calibre is size of bore it is not nor ever has been a cartridge. The fact my .280 has an Ackley Improved chamber is not important as the laws and certificate says calibre. The fact that the Lincs Licensing Office puts down 6.5x55 just shows how little they really know yet they have entered the 9.3mm as just that ;). .308 is listed :rolleyes: instead of being .30 cal but they did get 7.62 correct but 25-06 is down instead of .25 same goes of 30-06 which should be .30.

Oh yes they put .280 down as well as 7mm :rolleyes:.

The .280 Remington alongside the .280 Ackley Improved:-

PC080087.jpg

Now I do like the look of the Ackley version and cannto wait to see how it performs :D .

There is no rhyme nor reason to their methods.

Oh yes and Nosler make .280AI ammunition and cases ;) as well as their custom rifle in .280AI.

Thanks for that, a picture does paint a 1000 words, I have regularly heard about the ackley and often wondered what the difference is.
so thanks for the information

ATB

Hmmm, just looked at my FAC, and it just says ".243", no mention of case shape/size.

However, I've got .22 rimfire too, but I don't think I'd get away with a .22WMR on that, even though it's the same calibre!

Of course, it's different, as the .22WMR is considerably more powerful than the .22LR, but it does highlight some of the inconsistencies of the firearms law.

Probably best to tell them anyway, as they are fairly close in performance, so I can't see them being able to complain about it.

Hi Matt
I had a spare slot for a .22 rimfire and went out and bought a remi 597 WMR semi auto, rfd was happy with that and so were wilts firearms dept
Geordie

My cert stated .243 authorisation to be purchased, I changed a .22-250 to a .243AI to fill that slot. There will be no issues. I know that for a fact as I recently handed my cert in for additional authorisation to be added which clearly showed the current possession I have in the relevant box as being the .243AI

Back