Wanted: Driven Boar, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria etc etc

EMcC

Has anybody got any personal recommendations and info for driven Boar trips this winter?
I am looking for a five day trip with three days shooting, all inclusive with no trophy fees.
I am an idividual so would be looking at joining a group to make up numbers.
I already have one trip booked for December so am looking for other trips for November and January only.
Thanks for looking.

Whatever you do DON'T go to DAN MUSE in Northumberland. The B*****d still owes me £1000 for a shoot he was supposed to organise.

Thanks, that is exactly the info I need but perhaps a PM might be advisable and if anybody else has any warnings I would be appreciative.
The trouble is, they can all 'talk the talk' but they can't all 'walk the walk'.
The other problem is that of a group of twelve, if one shoots a good un and you ask him what the trip was like, he will say it was fantastic/brilliant/really good, well worth the money, etc etc but in effect there were probably only six Boar in ten thousand hectares of forest.
I realise that a Driven Boar drive is not like a Pheasant shoot with birds over everybody all day long but I would expect it to be, to a degree, a bit like stalking, in that the Stalker/Forester knows where the animals are and does his best to get them to the guns.
Thanks for reading my rant.

Last edited:
I am surprised at the lack of response, with eighty views I'd expect some sort of remark even if it was only a bit of cheek ;)
From the posts I've read on here, there are several members that have the same interest as me, so was expecting to be inundated with replies :rolleyes:
I promise I won't go to your favourite place and shoot the place out :D

Eddie, I have been on half a dozen trips, all were disappointing one way or another, though I got a boar every time.

I think probably the best trip purely in terms of the quality of the pigs was with Tomo Svetic to Croatia. To be honest I felt that we really got two days of shooting dragged out over three days. The boar were huge though. The beaters were armed with pistols and were seriously scared of the boar, two dogs gored and killed.

Croatia is a serious pain to get to from Ireland, two flights, two sets of excess baggage charges etc. Left home at 4.00am, only getting to the lodge at 9.00pm that night. Gets to be expensive and demoralising standing around for four days for one or two shots. I could probably do South Africa for very little more time and money than Croatia.

I am working on Germany with a couple of friends.

I think you need to try and remove the UK agent from the mix, they add very little value and take a big margin. If you get a pal resident in Germany to help you with the license and insurance, you can get decent pig shooting for €200 per day, plus a cheap flight. I can do Frankfurt in 5 hours door to door.

Hi Eddy,
i have just got friendly with a Polish guy working in UK and his brother has hunting grounds of 17000 acres.Last year he and his hunting group took 400 boar.I am going to make some effort to get invited over and work something out it would cut out the middle man dont you agree? If you are interested i,ll keep you informed.Eva,s old company (she has left) are still opperating a good hunting ground in Slovakia and i have as you know hunted there twice with great results and there are no trophy fees.The last time we went 3 years ago 11 guns had 64 shots for 17 pigs 3 of which were trophy size.;)
Tusker

Hi Brian, I have been with Tommo a few times already and have 'pinged' him this year already for info but he has not answered. His is the type of trips I like 'all inclusive' no hidden charges and, from UK, straight forward.
I would have enjoyed that Frankfurt trip if I'd been told all the facts in advance and not been given a day and a half when I paid for two days and was expecting full board ;).
I have met a few other guys in Croatia that have flown from Ireland and what they have done is flown the day before and had a day sight seeing before we arrived, but then that will add extra expence and time off work so wouldn't suit everybody.
Mark, I have been in touch with Jan, he is running it now instead of Eva, but he does not entertain individuals, he only organises trips for groups.
I nearly organised a trip last year with him, it was a good deal too, but before we could get it off the ground the group of 14 suddenly went down to 4:( Most of the guys were affected by the Volcanic ash and flights etc.
My last trip to Lithuania was not as smooth as I would have liked either, it entailed a four hour wait in Copenhagen for the connecting flight both out and return:(

Eddy, friends and i had a great time in Poland with Woodmill shootings,ticked all the boxes, planning to go on the same trip this Dec.

Bit of confusion to be sorted regarding wrong tusks being sent over.....

Eddy, friends and i had a great time in Poland with Woodmill shootings,ticked all the boxes, planning to go on the same trip this Dec.
Bit of confusion to be sorted regarding wrong tusks being sent over.....
The last time I made enquiries with them I'm sure they were the ones that said we had to make our own way to Berlin and then board a bus for a four hour trip to Poland.
Tusks !! On the trips I've been on they are normally given to you on the evening of the day you leave, sometimes mounted and sometimes not, perhaps I've been spoilt.
It would have been fun if I'd been able to book on the same trip as somebody from the site for a meet up, but I am already booked for December, so still looking :)

Eddie, I have a friend near Frankfurt. He shoots driven pigs 45 - 50 days per season. He thinks you need to play the averages, which is very difficult for us. The way he sees it, he pays €150 - €200 per day. Now, he might blank 3 or 4 days in a row, but he might then shoot 4 pigs on day 5 and another couple on day 6. This way he averages a pig per day minimum for the season. You and I really can't play these numbers, not at £1500 for a three day weekend.

Hi Brian,
For the last few years I have been doing an average of three trips a season and sometimes two trips with the same agent so the averages of shot Boar by me has not been too bad.
Two years ago I had four trips, two with the same agent and I swore I'd never spend that sort of money on such trips again but when I weigh it all up, it is worth it for the 'Holiday' aspect alone in some cases so I keep changing my mind :confused:

I would love to go boar shooting but I have put it off for the last ten years because you hear several horror stories for every good one. I don't know what the answer is. JC

I kept saying to myself that if I wasn't in the 'hot spot' for a particular trip :( then it would be my turn on the next trip, or the next trip, or the next trip, until it finally panned out :D
The only trouble is that system works out quite expensive so I am looking for somewhere where the odds are stacked a little more in my favour

Last edited:
I have only been disapointed at Croatia been x2.
Germany was better, Bulgaria the best.
I am organising another trip at least this year but its still in the infacy stage.
I have prices but have to circulate them to the usual crowd and see what they want to do then i will fill any spaces.
We saw loads of pigs last time it was just unfortunate they came in big groups so only 1 or 2 guns had oppertunities on each drive.
On 1 drive last year I had a group of 35-40(more in 1 group then all the pigs seen on all other trips put together) pigs ran past me too far into the tree line then later I shot 3 out of 1 group. Like already said luck and averages.

Ive always fancied it but never got around to going after hearing all the horror story's but if the right trip comes up at the right time 1 never knows

Jason,do the homework and you wont be dissapionted,i have only once been let down with the sport and that was alot to do with the weather,we were once stitched up with accomadation in Poland but thats how you learn.I,ve done 5 Boar trips to Eastern europe and i have learnt what to ask and not to just rely on statisticks e.g. if they tell you that 10 pigs shot last weekend you need to ask how many hunters and how many shots were fired etc.
If i go boar hunting again i will go with one of 2 company,s that i know will produce the goods.That said hunting wild boar is not an exsact science and sometimes they just dont pley ball.:)
Tusker

Jason,
Another tip is not to always believe all that the person organising it tells you :-|
Try and find out who was on the trip and ask them, as it may differ considerably ;)
Over the years I have found that I often bump into guys that I have met before on other trips and when we discuss various trips we have been on they are not always as the reviews have said.
Or a trip has been much better than expected but more money was required, things like that need to be discussed and settled before such a trip is undertaken.
There are many pitfalls to be considered but once you have the bug, you will look forward to it every year.

Interesting reading Fellows i have never been wild boar shooting but been thinking about it for a while .so any more advice would be welcome cheers Lads:D

Interesting reading Fellows i have never been wild boar shooting but been thinking about it for a while .so any more advice would be welcome cheers Lads:D
A Boar trip is the easiest thing to go on but Boar shooting depends a lot on where you are stood in the line and whether the Boar feels safer running past you or the other guys in the line :D
I am still looking for a trip in November and another in January. I have the usual agents that will help me if no other trips are forthcoming but I really fancied something/somewhere different this season.:)

A Boar trip is the easiest thing to go on but Boar shooting depends a lot on where you are stood in the line and whether the Boar feels safer running past you or the other guys in the line :D
I am still looking for a trip in November and another in January. I have the usual agents that will help me if no other trips are forthcoming but I really fancied something/somewhere different this season.:)

I'm with Eddy on this one, in that I wouldn't mind at least a trip in November this year, another next January.
Any other takers?
Boggie, Granhubert?

Back