budget big game safri

Hello Mate

Here is my two pence....

Be wary of anyone approaching you as the cheapest safari outfitter as that decision can only be made if its stated clearly what your after. Hunting safaris varying incredibly country to country, some countries will have higher trophy fees, some will have higer taxs, some species will be more expensive in some countries due to a smaller popullation of said animal. Some countries will have longer minimum days for different beasts. Quite simply it varies incredibly.

Just some food for thought.

• Do you want trophy animals or a managment type package?
  • What species are you looking to hunt?
  • Do you have a prefrence to which country you want your safari to take place in? (this may be financialy dictated to you by the virtue of your choosen species)
  • Are you looking to hunt plains game or dangerous game? Even if its plains game many a hunter would still like the fact that they are hunting in area with dangerous game
I hope this does not come across in any other way than as its intended just really to highlight that planning an African hunting safari needs to be really well researched in order to ensure that its what you anticipated and that it remains cheap as if your not already aware you will soon find out that there are lots of associated costs that are not always crystal unless you ask such as possible transfers to hunting concessions, dipping and packing of trophys, taxidermy, tips to camp staff. You just need to be careful mate.

Dont get me wrong though there are some great deals out there to be had, but to take advantage of the truly great deals you need to of done your research prior so you can see the great from the duds.

Happy hunting

No trouble mate. The research is all part of an African safari and it will just get more exciting as you takes steps towards it.

ONE RECOMENDATION: take care with cheap hunting opperations! The cheapest trips they can became in the most expensive trip in you life.
Remember extra expences as Exportation, Fligths, tags, etc

I would suggest the 'management package' would be the best value as no trophies would be involved, so no Export, Prep, Packaging or Frieght would be involved.
That doesn't neccessarily mean you won't get to shoot some Trophy animals but if you insist on 'Management only' you will still have a trip of a lifetime and the photos or a DVD to show for it.

pm sent. no secret but anyone can view this site.so dunt want to display his number to anti's and such. stav

It must be difficult to run a business without advertising :rolleyes:
Where does one draw the line as to how much is put in an advertisement :rolleyes:
The anti's and such would have a field day if they went into Smiths and scanned the shelves for shooting magazines.
I don't mean this post to start an argument, but quite often I see a post and think "oh that sounds interesting" then the answer is, 'PM Sent' .
I was not interested enough to chase it, whereas it could have lead to something if it had been forthcoming in the first place.

I think its sensible to operate discreetly as a safari outfitter as i imagine there is nothing more evocative then hunting game in Africa, evocative in a good way to an big game hunting enthusiast and a bad way to someone opposed to hunting.

i know what your saying though, how much extra business could operators reap if they were more forth coming, the answer is they probably do elsewhere but might try to avoid the sites trade payment

Last edited:
i thought you had to pay to advertise on this site and i,m only trying to pass a contact number on. alot of people advertise on here and do not put a price on it,now that i do not understand. i run a business and do not advertise all my work comes word of mouth.stav

Last edited:
Ah yes, I see what you mean, when does a recommendation become advertising :confused:
The trouble is, as has been mentioned previously, some web sites can only cover so much so a lot of 'digging' has to be done to find the full story, I suppose that is where a 'recommendation' comes in.
The latest copy of Sporting Rifle has a full spread of Safaris advertised but at the RRP prices so tailored packages have to be discussed with the outfit to get a 'proper' price.
My favourite 'Hobby' is driven Boar during the Winter in Europe and that has somewhat similar pitfalls.
The web site advertises a package, and contact details, and once contacted the real cost is discovered.
Yes, an aweful lot of 'phone calls are needed before anything is finally decided.

EMcC,

I take your point however I did not want to be seen to be openly advertising by site admin as my trade member staus has lapsed for the moment and listing my packages would perhaps have raised a few eyebrows without paying to do so ;).

ATB

EMcC,I take your point however I did not want to be seen to be openly advertising by site admin as my trade member staus has lapsed for the moment and listing my packages would perhaps have raised a few eyebrows without paying to do so ;).ATB
Sorry, I didn't realise you were an Expired Trade Member.

Getting back to the issue in hand, what do you want to hunt Royalstag. If money was not an issue what would your top three be to hunt in Africa. Im going in 2012 and will be hunting.

Buffalo
Sable
Kudu
Eland

There are in general two ways to save, one is to save on daily rates, but you need to be careful what you are getting and that you will still get the experience you want from your safari. The other way is to forego the general mixed bag safari where you might end up paying trophy fees on a half dozen animals or more. There are some nice outfits where you can spend a week or two hunting for something specific and really special. These are not "cheap" hunts, but the overall cost is lower. Management hunts are also an option and some outfitters offer management plus one or two trophies.

Back