removing velvet

pj1

evening. what is the best way to remove velvet from a fallow antlers

I find that the steam from the boiler when boiling the head softens it enough to peel off, if not just stick the antlers in the boiler for a couple of minutes, remember you will need to stain the antlers somehow as regardless of how you remove the velvet they will be white.

Thank you. I checked the antlers again this evening and two tips of one antler are still a bit soft. Would you suggest leaving the velvet onn until the antler is hard

It will dry out but will never be like the rest of the antler, never done a fallow but have done quite a few Roe and a couple of Red
where I have left the velvet intact it needs careful handling when boiling but it can be done, if you can still feel the points soft under the velvet this may be a better option, if you decide to do this try to cover the antlers with something
when boiling the head to keep the steam of the velvet, as A the steam can make the velvet slip, and B it tends to turn it ginger.

Not sure if or what you could treat the velvet with to make it last, some of the heads I have done in velvet have lasted better than others some done nearly twenty years ago are still OK.

If the points are still soft you will also need to careful of fly stikes.

Maybe someone else can help with treating the velvet, or alternative ideas on what to do with the soft tips.

Depending on how soft the tips are you may lose them if you remove the the velvet

Last edited:
well ive finally got round to peeling off the velvet. it has come off quite well but left a papery membrain behind. this was peeling off in tiny bits so i gave it a go with a steam wall paper stripper. it works ok but is going to take an eternity. are there any better ways of getting it off.
i might be wrong but where i have peeled the velvet off more recently it looks like more blood has come to the surface. i shot the deer in august so thought it would be dry by now. not sure if its the steaming but i am seeing darker patchs. not to worried about this though as will stain the antlers anyway.

regards pj

I find that removing velvet completely is best done with a pressure washer. To leave it on with just a few soft tips, hang up side down and prick soft areas with a pin, any fluid should leak out. But aggree with fly strike comment. A fly mesh carcass bag is good for putting your trophies in until they are dry.

I use pressure washer for all skull cleaning now after usual boiling, but dont touch the antlers with the jet or you will strip the colour. Also dont get too close to young skulls with the jet as it will flake the bone.

thanks for info. i a getting there removing the velvet. there is still one point that is soft. do you think it will never harden as its now december and i shot it in august. i will try to get a picture of the progress so far tomorrowView attachment 10756

Best way of getting rid of velvet is to let the buck carry on as normal and hope to catch up with him later in the season. Early on I concentrate on the obvious cull bucks rather that the good mature ones.

Nine years ago my word how time flies. It was shot in an orchard as a pest control job rather than a stalk. I would normally leave them to clean naturally.
But I’ve finally got round to getting a proper block to put it on this week. Seems like a good thing to do as I can’t go to work. Think I’ve decided on a pattern

C00E64DE-B97B-4AFD-9AB0-42B336DC3390.jpegA4C72C8D-EF2E-4B4F-95F6-47672D9816B8.jpeg

Reckon they look quite nice left white. I’ve got a nice roe and a sika both left unstained and they haven’t discoloured.

Back