When is the harvest going to get going?

Cyres

Well,

Rape was cut two or so weeks ago and then instantly platered in slurry so very short chance to shoot 2 foxes. One afternoon decoying in very hot still conditions, got 75 so not too bad. Now waiting for wheat to be cut, they tried on Tues but still not ready and its now raining so no chance till next week. Maize is head height and we are still awaiting grass to be cut for organic hay.

They cut 3 fields on Tues, went out saw 2 very wary foxes, no chance, same thing Weds am. I expect it will be baled and off by now.

Travelling along A303 in some areas lots cut, others huge acrages to be cut. Appears it will be a very protracted affair.

Poor farmers up North, parents have had days of continious rain in the Borders, so combining has completly ceased.

D

a lot of fields around our way seem to have been cut,and ploughed over in the same week for some reason,normally leave the stubble for acouple of weeks:confused:.

all done here whole farm rape good yields too ,all cultivated and going into wheat could be worse BEANS arrhh hate em ,hunt coming monday early will keep you posted what they find :D

nothing done for the last 10days round here a bit of rape and winter barley cut before that but weather has been >>>t

My favourite farmer has promised to text me when the jump-leads come out for the combine... wet here all week.

One farm complete (winter barley), fields ploughed and ready for seeding, others not started (winter and spring barley), another started but rained off.

Barley cut here, and scuffled, but no OSR cut at all. Maize nice and high. Rain on and off stopping harvest, but when they start it comes off very quickly.

My son is on a grain drier in Hampshire, and he says it's slow going. Most of the OSR is in, but not all, stop/start on the oats, with wheat and barley still to go.

our lot also got stuck into some canadian red wheat 5.8 tonnes /h happy days for the boss and the farming company we belong too .....double edged though what they going to charge for our pheasant wheat ?????:rolleyes:

Well actually sat in an Air cond combine yesterday afternoon. Was his worse fied but was coming off at approx 3 ton/Acre. Straw is incredibly short, cutter bar was almost on the deck, which makes the job a bit more difficult. Currently wheat approx £160 tonn, however good crop in Russia who will be exporting this yearso price may fall.

Huge numbers of pigeon about, straw is so short on the stoney bits they are just landing into standing corn.

Did have a pleasing head shot on a woody with the .223, so its on zero, roll on foxing this week.

D

all done here whole farm rape good yields too ,all cultivated and going into wheat could be worse BEANS arrhh hate em ,hunt coming monday early will keep you posted what they find :D
well they came found early but lost it in the jungle of undergrowth ,they then drew 6/7 covers all blank i was beginning to sweat a bit as i had not been lamping at all in 2 wks since crops off .they then found and it went to ground in a badger set ....moving on into some elephant grass they quickly found again and just below my phezy pen it gave the hounds a merry old dance for some time moving onto another cover they found again only for that to find home in a badger set again .our new huntsman aquited himself really well and once he has the mounted followers trained up some more well .....some good hunting will be had .really enjoyed the morning beats work anyday :D

ps off lamping tonight .....mop up lol

Last edited:
At this rate we will be combining rice!!! Just 2 fields of wheat done so far, shot two adult foxes in 2 early eve sorties. My farmer thinks it will be at least 2 weeks till he finishes and thats being optermistic.

It bloody typical am itching to get on a couple of fields which are nigh on impossible to shoot (adjacent to some island travellers!!) and the brief stubble will be the only chance, looks like it will happen when I am on hols in Devon with my kids. Such is life.

Also things are being cut, baled, spread with slurry and ploughed almost as you watch at present.

D

Some action at last, seen 4 shot 2 adults so far.

Last night was a scene of mainic activity, 1 combine, two grain trailers and two balers, field was lit like a runway. Saw 2 roe, no chance on the buck and place devoid of foxes, mind you adjacent fields are maize and beans. Just too much goung on. Will be out this eve asuming it stays dry.

D

Back