Zoophobic legacy and Wild Boar

Typical GMB article for the Grauniad - very little thought or research as the basis for half-baked ideas and eco-warrior conclusions. Still, the spelling is better than usual...

Thanks for the link though as it was today's reason to shout at the computer monitor. Love the idea that, having officially stopped all boar shooting in the UK whilst research is undertaken (probably for the next hundred years), GMB would like us to believe that he would be in favour of the issue of limited licences to allow a gentle expansion - despite his view that all hunting should be banned as it is an expression of a feudal class war that 'has to be won'.

Love the last paragraph... " Reintroduce the wolf" in order to naturally manage the boar numbers..... In Southern England !!!!!! Yep, not the brightest spark is he !!!!

What wolf ( or pack of ) would ever take on a fast, strong and bad tempered boar, when a slow Guardian reader walking their chihuaha would be SOOO much easier......

Brightened up my Wednesday nicely.

Love the last paragraph... " Reintroduce the wolf" in order to naturally manage the boar numbers..... In Southern England !!!!!! Yep, not the brightest spark is he !!!!

What wolf ( or pack of ) would ever take on a fast, strong and bad tempered boar, when a slow Guardian reader walking their chihuaha would be SOOO much easier......

Brightened up my Wednesday nicely.

Incredible really, it is all we need a nice friendly cuddly wolf to be re-introduced... of course Wolves have no record of attacking humans....
Makes me chuckle how the pro-wolf lot tell every one how wonderful they are but cannot rationalise the security needed to keep them in captivity...

its the Guardian. What do you expect?

I particularly like the comparison between the UK's habitat/populations of larger indigenous mammals and that of Finland, Sweden and France.

I cant wait to see the Editor's face when he turns up to play Wentworth with his fat cat friends and sees this:
17415_320x0.jpg

think his opinion may change

Yes great - bring back wolves. They're not dangerous. Just like urban foxes don't sneak into houses and bite babies. :cuckoo:

This man is an idiot.
He fails to address;
population spread and density is radically different from Europe with no vast tracts of untrodden land, who wants wolves and bears eating dogs and sheep in Hyde Park, Ben Lommond or Snowdonia,
boar are not native they are 'once native',
coppice is an industrial work not forest 'arrestment',
the French are increasing hunting pressure to redress loss of flora and fauna directly attributable to expanding boar population,
wildlife does not belong to everyone, a recent right-to-roam has everyone thinking they can stick their tuppence worth in, but land is still owned and wildlife still managed without state reward by the landowner,
and he holds the French up as only hunting to prevent damage, lie, they hunt because they have always done so, they enjoy it, and it is embraced by the community as something to be proud of and not whispered in hushed corners in case it offends anyone.
This journalist is one of the reasons that the British press is no longer considered to have any integrity when viewed by our peers in other countrys.

What a f***ing t**t.

Wolves in lowland U.K is a particularly disturbing thought. I am privileged to be currently working with a small pack of wolves in captivity. Everyone (Shaun Ellis included) may wish you to think that the wolf is a very misunderstood beast.

I understand the bits that I know of it.......

There is no way that anything other than an almost starved to death pack would take on an adult wild boar while there were other items on the menu (sheep, cattle, domestics) They are intelligent animals and like most carnivores will not risk injury unless it is critical.

They are a very very serious proposition when cornered (speaking from personal experience)

They are an animal that will avoid confrontation with humans so after releasing them in the lowlands they would very quickly head to quieter areas of the country.

Could the Highlands support wolf packs ?? Many think so and some are trying, I doubt it.

Sticks

Back