Which 375 manufacturer for big/dangerous game

Which is (or which would) be your preferred manufacturer of 375s for big/dangerous game?

• Total voters

AI perfector

Hi, I'm looking at a 375 for big/dangerous game and have short listed a few rifles/manufacturers (though still open to additions/revisions). Given that I like to see and handle an item such as a rifle before purchase, the question for the forum is:

"Is/Are there dealers who have a wide range of weapons in stock, which one can 'thumb through' before purchase?. If so, who and where (web link?)"

The question also applies, in my case, to 243 and 308 hunting rifles but a more general response may well assist others in the same boat. Thanks in advance. Paul

brno cz

Hi Paul,
lets get it straight.... i don't have one of these rifles nor have i shot dangerous game.

I have a good mate who has. he liked the CZ mauser actioned rifles. I would be very tempted..

steve

The conventional wisdon for a Dangerous Game Rifle is that it must have controlled round feed rather than push feed as theoretically much more reliable.

But even Craig Boddington in his book Safari Rifles admits that there is nothing wrong with a push feed action provided it is properly set up (and the problems come with timing of the rails in a custom calibre - usually not an issue when in factory issue). Being left handed he almost has to use a push feed action as ther are not many CRF actions in left handed.

Having been in the african bush, I would go for simplicity and strength, and an action that is not too fine in its tolerances - ie doesn't get jammed by sand.

Any of the makes you mention would work fine, but make sure that the rifle is properly tested had a few tens if not hundreds of rounds through it) before going so that you are certain it goes bang every time you pull that trigger.

I would go with whichever brand fits you well and you feel comfortable with.

Also don't go too light as a 375H&H does have a thump - not bad in a heavy rifle.

The old BRNO's are standard issue kit to most African game departments, and when I lived in Zambia were the only rifles available locally so that what all the locals used. They are tough as as old nails and I carried one in the bush for protection, but to be honest never actually had to use it.

I have never had to use such a rifle but do recall reading a bit about them by an African PH. He favoured BRNO's and described them as being like a prostitute, use it and then forget about it until you need it next and it will perform for you just the same as last time. He, and all of his mates, swore by BRNO. My BRNO experience only runs to my Hornet and 243 but they are tough buggers.

John

BRNO every time, if it has to be a bolt-action. It beats everything else hands-down on the reliability stakes when you're in the sh*t.

Anyone who uses a Blaser R93 on dangerous game is volunteering for a Darwin Award, irrespective of what the sales brochures state.

Just recalled that the likes of Rigby's used the BRNO action for many years as the basis for the Big Calibre Rifles. J R Roberts, who owned the Rigby name before it was sold across to the US, still do.

The main differences between a Rigby costing several £'000s and a basic BRNO or CZ are:

1) The Internals of the action are polished and honed so it feels smoother, Better trigger and a dropped floor plate to hold one more round.

2) Action lugs are squared up etc and barrel trued up / or match grade barrel fitted - so theoretically will shoot more accurately.

3) Stock will be a High grade peice of walnut lovingly crafted and fitted.

4) More elegant looking fixed sights added, along with barrel band for sling etc. Finish of the metal work will be much finer - high quality blue etc.

Give both a Rigby and BRNO a few years hard use the stocks will look about the same, bluing will be worn and BRNO's action will have worn to the same smoothness as a Rigby!

Why consider a Mauser lookalike when you can have the real thing?

A new Mauser would be the 'Best' choice given any set of criteria except personal preferences.

i go BRNo my dads NEVER jammed, my R93 did thought not really that bad because iut was a munty:) you know the Holland &Holland bolt action magazine rifle... built on a 600 quid BRNO action

brno

CZ but I would'nt use a .375, if your going after Buff I would go with a calibre that starts with a four.

325wsm said:
Why consider a Mauser lookalike when you can have the real thing?

A new Mauser would be the 'Best' choice given any set of criteria except personal preferences.

A new Mauser M98 is £5,700, somewhat pricier than a BRNO.

I'd echo Mack's view that you need a calibre beginning with a .4 if you want to shoot buffalo. I use a .470 NE, but you can pick up a .458 for good money.

I have had a BRNO 375 for a good number of years. It holds 5 rounds, 4 in the mag and 1 in the hole.

I have taken Elephant, Buff, and just about all the major plains game species with it, and also Moose in Finland at temperatures of -23.

Mauser action, good basic rifle, no finnicky bits and pieces, never ever let me down. Burris signature 1and half x 6 scope on the top. Bigger calibres are ok as well, but its where you put the bullet that counts, and the recoil starts to get a bit serious.

With big game and dangerous game hunting, keep your kit simple and reliable ;)

Good luck
Sikamalc

Great input guys. I've refrained from reacting to each and every post so as to try and keep the dialogue concise and avoid side issues creeping in but have nevertheless been monitoring and am appreciative of the input.
To those of you who would have gone with Mauser, that's now an option - sorry if too late.
Blaser seems to attract a good vote tho' I recognise Baldrick has his own views, which are respected.
BRNO seems to get the majority as things stand at the time of writing though CZ comes into the dialogue. My problem now is "Were CZ and BRNO considered one and the same for the purposes of the vote?" Obviously I don't see who cast the BRNO votes so can't ask them. This begs the question, "Which is preferred?. BRNO or CZ?"
Why don't I go for a calibre that begins with 4, Mack? Because the 375 is arguably also acceptable by FEOs for reds here in the UK. But your point is taken.
Sikamalc, interesting that you should mention Finland as I'm hoping to get to Norway for elk/elg. Will certainly be dressed for the cold/wet.
It's also interesting that no one has voted in the Remington 798 Safari (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_798/model_798_safari.asp) Any ideas why?
There were also a few links thown in for which many thanks.
Keep 'em coming. Cheers, Paul

A BRNO in .375 H&H mag represents very good value in terms of price/quality ratio. I haven't used one but have hunted with a number of people who have including some PH's in South africa and they all swear by them.
I have used a Winchester Model 70 on a pre 64 action in .375 H&H Mag and it too has always performed and again was quite good on the price/quality ratio. A few changes at Winchester mean that I am unsure if they still make them. But if they do like the BRNO worth a look.

.375 H+H brno + swarovski habitch 2.2 -9 x 42
P1020206.jpg

rifle and scope 12 years old approx only 2o+ rounds fired through it to my knowledge at time of sale
i bought this whole set up with reloading dies and 50 new cases plus 100 heads for £500 , 3 years ago , so there are bargains out there to be had if you look hard enough and wait a little ;)
i hav had no problems with mine whatso ever, and hav fired quite a few rounds through it now
but i do hav arms like popeye :lol: :lol:

stick with brno, for reliability , look how many .22's there are in the country.

blaser are junk and totally unreliable, I know I'll get flack for the statement but there is a hole in my Landrover thanks to my mates blaser!!!!

Blaser sourced cheap components for some of their trigger mechanisms a few years back , which resulted in a few rifles going off when the bolt closed.
They recalled rifles but wouldn't admit anything and he was snookered due to using home loads.
Once bitten and all that

Blaser vs. landrover

I think this may be getting a tad off track. With due respect could we try and focus on the question raised? Thanks, guys. Paul

Back