Time for a new Cannon....

Wingers243

Having a look around at the moment for something to replace my CZ550. Calibre will be .308

I was going to go for a custom build but the credit crunch has got in the way!

Has any one had any experience of the Remi XCR Tactical models that come with phosphated stainless barrels and a bell and carlson stock as standard? Would be interested to hear any ideas. Also has anyone got any experience of the various mag conversion kits to change a floorplate to a detachable mag that are available for Remi's?

Moving to Howa's, Any ideas if there are any mag conversion kits available. (you have probably twigged that I can not get on with floorplate mags! Also, anyone got a Wild Dog stock? They look to be quite good?

Last of all, any ideas for a good replacement stock for a Tikka T3?

Any thoughts / experience would be appreciated.

Last of all, any ideas for a good replacement stock for a Tikka T3?
Yup another T3 stock ! :lol: After all they where built for it!!.sorry wingers had to do it! ;)

Jackson Rifles now distribute Robertson Composites stocks, inletted for the T3. Both tactical and hunting styles.

Wingers243 said:
Moving to Howa's, Any ideas if there are any mag conversion kits available. (you have probably twigged that I can not get on with floorplate mags! Also, anyone got a Wild Dog stock? They look to be quite good?

Any thoughts / experience would be appreciated.

Wingers

Look here:-http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2690&highlight=howa+homemade

I made my own mag' conversion for a Howa no problem. :lol:

South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies do a mag' Conversion for Howas this is pretty much the same as the Badger Ordinance one for the Remm’y 700 and it takes Accuracy International magazines.

I have two mates that have Wilddog stocks they are OK, but for a good Howa stock contact Edi 223 on here, he makes some top composite stocks for Howas.

Best rgds

Tahr

Can someone explain to me why they see a detachable magazine as an advantage on a stalking rifle?
I've had a number of rifles over the years, some have had hinged floorplates, some have had detachable mags, some have had internal rotary mags. Overall my personal choice on a bolt action stalking rifle would always be a hinged floorplate, just seems to work best to me on a stalking rifle.

8x57, whatever one likes. I had two mags on my 22lr, one with HV and the other with subs. Therefore two zeroes.
On my stalking rifle I much prefer the floorplate, nothing to fall off, drop in the mud or forget at home.
If I get a chance I'll try a mag system for my howa foxing rig. Not sure if it'll be of any great advantage for that use though.

edi

ejg, I use the two mag system with my .22 but have found using a detachable mag in centrefire a bit of a pain.
With a centrefire bolt action rifle if I want to temporarily make the rifle safe I simply open the bolt push the top round back down into the magazine and close the bolt in a controlled manner while holding the top round down with my thumb, ensuring that the chamber is empty at the same time holding the trigger back to uncock the action. I stress that you have to be absolutely certain that you haven't chambered a round which you should be able to see quite easily as you close the bolt. Result rounds in mag, chamber empty and action eased, sometimes refered to as condition 3.
Some years ago I had a Tikka M65 in .308 which due to the long action permitted the top loading of the detachable mag so the best of both worlds, can't remember why I was so stupid as to sell that rifle. I wish Tikka still made rifles of that design and quality, only fault that I can recall with them was the possibility of mis-assembling the bolt which was potentially dangerous hence the redesign and 690 model.
Of course even simpler is a double or break action rifle, break the action and remove the rounds, far safer!

Though I have shot my friend's Sako 75 several times I have never loaded it from the top, but I will give it a try next time.
The 75 that I would buy if I were feeling flush would be the one with the hinged floorplate. pricey but very nice!
The rifle that currently apeals to me is the Howa, far better build quality than a Remington though similar design. The Howa represents good value for money, shoots as good as a Tikka and is quite a bit cheaper than a Sako.

Why do I prefer Detachable Magazines? First point is I want it for everything not just stalking.

Well, on the "can lose it, leave it at home, drop it etc, I can understand your point. Mostly on the leave it home point. This I haven't yet done but I expect I will.....!!! Lose or drop it out inadvertantly, I think unlikely provided the mag release is well made (if that is not the case, not the fault of the mag system really is it? When not in your rifle you keep it zipped in your pocket you shouldn't lose it. Also, if like me you carry your rifle under-slung then it would have to fall out upwards!

Quick to reload. Well I guess so. Just wish I had somewhere to go that I could try out the theory!

Drop out mag is straight forward, if you want to unload your rifle, bolt open, mag out, blot shut. Result - gauranteed empty and cartridges held together. Can't possibly be unsafe don't have to be careful about pushing cartridges down as there aren't any there. At night, no feeling around to make sure the rounds are pushed down. When you get where you're going, back in, load up.

To reload one cartridge, maybe you can just pop one in through the port on a floor plate (can do that on some detachable magazine rifles) whereas a detach mag you will probably drop out to reload. Seems to be the most minor point.

When you arrive at your ground in the dark (whether thats in the morning stalking or at night foxing) with a detach mag I can sit in the car with the light on, in the warm, load up the mag and get ready. Once I get out, in the dark, mag in, off we go. no piddling about with your torch or dropping cartridges in the dark. that sounds like a lot of arseing about to me.

When you're finished or move places, unload, mag out, in your pocket, sit in car and out with the cartridges. alternatively, undo floor plate with cold hands, cartridges out, drop one. gauranteed in muddy puddle, long grass etc. Spend next five minutes trying to finding lost round. The alternative. If we're being wholly law abiding, inform police about lost round. What happens if you don't? gauranteed some anorak will find it, hand it in and then you know what happens.....

Perhaps more than anything it just makes sense to me, like a .308 makes sense to me. Others will disagree but I like it.

I have all three types of rifle, ;) detachable mag’, floor plate and a Browning A-bolt that has both. The mag’ attaches to the floor plate so you can use it which ever way you want.

I have dropped mag’s in the field but have always found them, even when I dropped one while lamping foxes.

Best rgds

Tahr.

Back