8mm

Hello all - I've been reading the Stalking Directory forum on and off over the last year or two and just signed up a few days ago, in order to download the zeroing targets if the truth be told.

I live in Donegal, NW Ireland. Been shooting 20 something years, .22 rimfire, 22 Hornet, then spent a few years living in the US where I shot a number of different calibres but hunted mostly with a 25-06. When I moved home again a few years ago I brought an old FN Mauser actioned Browning Safari Grade in 270 Winchester with me which I have used since, stalking almost exclusively Reds, with a few Sika in the South East of the country, got my first Fallow just before Christmas.

Although I have great faith in the 270, a year and a half ago I was planning a trip to South Africa (great excuse for a new rifle) and was looking for something with a slightly heavier bullet weight, also suitable for Boar in Europe and that would avoid ex military cartridge restrictions in some countries. Around this time a local dealer got a clean used Styer Mannlicher in 8x68s, which I quickly researched as best I could, then bought. Brought it to South Africa's Northern Cape last August where ranges were generally quite long, no regrets, have taken a number of Reds with it since then, a great all round cartridge.

Welcome 8mm

My mate Andy uses a Steyr in 8x68 he has shot quite a few UK wild boar with it. If you ever want boring to death with reloading figures for it i'm sure he could help :D ;)

This is a boar I shot with it when my .375 H&H was at the gun doctors.
DSC00572.jpg

ATB
Wayne

hi there im a part time keeper in essex and when im not out doin my rounds i like to do some stalking mostly fallow with the odd munty now and again. i also go beating on a neighbouring estate. i like to use a tikka t3 243 for foxing and deer work and a brno 22rf for everything else. i do a lot of rabbit control work on neighbouring farms mainly lamping but do a bit of ferriting aswell. if i get a chance like a pigeon shooting too. i like to use 100grn federal in the 243 and winchester subs for the 22rf. im looking at starting reloading my own but dont really know where to start.

WAYNE DAVIES said:
Welcome 8mm

My mate Andy uses a Steyr in 8x68 he has shot quite a few UK wild boar with it. If you ever want boring to death with reloading figures for it i'm sure he could help :D ;)

This is a boar I shot with it when my .375 H&H was at the gun doctors.
DSC00572.jpg

ATB
Wayne

Nice Boar, tried the 375 a few times abroad, a very versatile cartridge. But I would probably have a lot of difficulty getting a licence for one here.

Any reloading info your friend has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome aboard 8mm,you,ll find a great bunch of fella,s on here.
where about,s in donegal are you, some lovely big red,s over you,re way.
i got a nice tenpointer near letterkenny in october.
All the best.the scudd

Hi the scudd, Thanks for the welcome.

Was away for a few weeks. I'm in South Donegal. Was out yesterday morning and seen a few fine stags, Unfortunately stags are closed here javascript:emoticon(':cry:')since the end of December..

Back