Roe skull

DazT

Hi after getting a nice roe buck i decided to have a go at a trophy mount. :)
(this is the first 1 i've done too :D )

Started off with skinning the head and boiling it out - using a large pot and the camping stove :)
Boiled it for around 40 minutes then removed it from the pan and cleaned it off completely.
Cut the skull with the hacksaw you can see in the boiling pic.
Finally bleaching the skull with some 40% vol peroxide cream i got from chrisc in the sales section ;) .

The skull is still bleaching so will have to update the thread when its fully bleached and mounted :)

How do you think i've done for my first attempt??

Cheers
Daz

Attachments

• Boiling.jpg
    Boiling.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Cleaned.jpg
    Cleaned.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Bleaching.jpg
    Bleaching.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
ooops looks like i've put this thread in the wrong place!
Should have been in the trophy prep section .... sorry

Daz

Youve done OK, but a couple of things you will find its easier to cut the skull before you boil, boiling softens the bone and its easy to break it, also a hacksaw is not the best tool for the job teeth are to fine,an ordinary wood saw makes a better job.

You will find it gets easier with each one you do.

Cheers! I'm just wondering now how long to leave the peroxide on??
As its 40% vol i don't want to leave it for too long.

Thanks
Daz

I leave skulls soaked in 30% for 18-24hrs or so, not longer, 40% I'd probably stop after 12hrs and see how it's going

40% should not take that long, using 40% I don't use cotton wool or paper towels I use a a bath Tupperware container that will hold a skull tight enough to keep the antlers out of the peroxide, dip time depends on the age and how white the skull is already but 3-4 hours is usually enough.

Oh and you can reuse the peroxide , just get a container for it keep it separate from the stuff you have not used
Need quite a bit to dip a skull but you will find it works several times 12 to 20 times from the same lot so can be more economical in the long run.

Thanks for the info mate - i've painted it with the cream so i'll give it a rinse after 4 hrs.
Can i bleach it again if it hasn't done the job the first time??
Thanks
Daz

You have Boiled it quite a long time RS so i would not leave in bleach to long or the scull will open and be very fragile. Not a bad first attempt.

Thats the skull rinsed and blotted dry with some kitchen towel.
Its on the window sill now to dry

Cheers
Daz

Haven't done a skull for a few years now but I used to add some washing powder to the boil - whiter than white! Usually a half skull cut with a tenon saw.

As it came out of the boiler what really speeded it all up was using a pressure washer to get the gronky bits off/out of the skull instead of using a table knife and scraping forever - nb wear legging and wellies and watch out for flying snot!! Lol! don't ask! Just held the skull still under the toe of my boot on the lawn.

I also used peroxide from the chemist in whatever strength that was on a half-thick layer of cotton wool as it's easy to separate, ie just enough to keep it wet. Pats in nicely around the awkward bits to keep the surface contact, wrapped in tin foil overnight. Means you can just squeeze the excess peroxide back into the bottle for next time.

That's me.

atb

Fizz:cool:

Yep i remembered to put some "bold" in the water when i boiled it out.
Just hope it does bleach it when it dries.................
Its still a little bit yellow at the minute.

Daz

Looks good enough to me.
Ask one or your mates if they have a band-saw.
It makes a really tidy, accurate job of cutting BEFORE
you boil it out. As stated previously, boiling can leave the
bone a bit soft.
Good effort though. Post some pics once you've bleached it.
Cheers

I will get some pics up when i've dried it out - just looking for a nice shield to put it on now :)

Cheers
Daz

If you are passing give me a shout and I will give you a blade you will need a 24" bushman saw. Stainless bone saw blade. Jim

Cheers Jim, might be over your way sat/sun as i'm going to do some stalks for my level 2 :)

Daz

here's a link to the page with a picture of my first full skull. done 'cut' skulls loads, but this was my first full skull - I think it came out well - http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/43772-roe-skull-cut

I cleaned and peeled this a lot, then boiled 10 mins, peeled/scrabed/washed, then boiled another 5-10 mins and took the rest off.

I then put cotton wool all over and inside it, held on with rubber bands, and soaked it in 6% hydrogen peroxide for 24hrs. I would normally use 30% for approx. 12hrs, but I was out of it at the time so had to resort to BOOTS!..

you can wash/rinse and clean, then reapply as much as you like, the water will not stop it from bleaching further. Oh, if I have a skull/trophy that's been finished for a few weeks and I haven't bleached yet, it gets a darker brown and yellow colour, so will need stronger/longer bleaching to get back to a white. the fastest and easiest way is to bleach immediately after the skull has been cleaned.

I like to leave two cotton swabs/balls soaked in bleach on either side (inside) of the nasal cavity for an extra day to stop maggots from growing and 'that' smell (as my wife calls it)! ..as it's hard to get it all out completely.

Back