Namibia - Windhoek Direct Flights

kuwinda

I have a short hunt (and long safari) booked in Namibia at the beginning of May.

This is a bit complicated because I will be coming from Kuwait and my wife (with my rifle) from Scotland. We are trying to book a direct flight for her with Luftwaffe from Edinburgh and then Air Namibia from Frankfurt. The agent is telling us there is no code share and she will need check all her luggage (and rifle) out and then back in, in Frankfurt. This seems odd to me - I have trolled the net and can't find anything. The alternative flight is LH through Joburg - which I think we will avoid.

Anyone have any experience of getting direct flights to Namibia?

The alternative is of course to hire a rifle - which it may come to.

I have a short hunt (and long safari) booked in Namibia at the beginning of May.

This is a bit complicated because I will be coming from Kuwait and my wife (with my rifle) from Scotland. We are trying to book a direct flight for her with Luftwaffe from Edinburgh and then Air Namibia from Frankfurt. The agent is telling us there is no code share and she will need check all her luggage (and rifle) out and then back in, in Frankfurt. This seems odd to me - I have trolled the net and can't find anything. The alternative flight is LH through Joburg - which I think we will avoid.

Air Namibia fly direct from London Gatwick to Windhoek, or they certainly did a few years ago and when I did there were plenty of hunters checking in rifles. Plenty of flights daily Ed down to Gatwick, or just take the train down to Kings Cross and then cross rail straight to Gatwick.

No direct flight - it goes from Heathrow (on the dreaded BA) via Frankfurt - this appears to be the only European connection.

From my own experience I would avoid LHR with a rifle myself - I think sending SWMBO off there on her tod with my Sako is streaching things a bit.

No direct flight - it goes from Heathrow (on the dreaded BA) via Frankfurt - this appears to be the only European connection.

From my own experience I would avoid LHR with a rifle myself - I think sending SWMBO off there on her tod with my Sako is streaching things a bit.

There are direct flights Ed-Frankfurt - I think Lufthansa - understand avoiding LHR. Also Glasgow airport is very well connected and thats easy enough to get to from Ed.

The problem is there is no code share with lufthansa - you need two seperate tickets and need to check out and back in in Frankfurt.

I suppose they must have a code share with BA?

Is there no way to have your rifle in Kuwait?

I mean, can you not take it back there after New Year and then take it on t'Namib after that?

Nah - Kuwaitis are'nt allowed rifles so I think me appearing with one at the airport might initiate - a response.

Just have to get my head round not using my own rifle - a pity but not the end of the world.

I travelled to Namibia from Aberdeen this year. We flew to Frankfurt and then on with air Namibia to Windhoek. Re-checking our rifles and kit was no problem at all, just make sure all your paperwork is in check. Enjoy the trip

Atb

What rifle make and calibre do you plan to take, what animal are you planning to hunt and do you know what rifles they have at your Hunting Destination, in Namibia?

What rifle make and calibre do you plan to take, what animal are you planning to hunt and do you know what rifles they have at your Hunting Destination, in Namibia?

I was going to be taking a Sako 308 to hunt springbok, gemsbok and hartebeest. Possibly another kudu if I feel inclined, but I am in no real 'have to have' mood - I have done a great deal of hunting in Africa and it is good just to be there with a rifle in your hand. May also shoot some sandgrouse or doves - great fun.

Afterwards we are heading up into the Koakoveldt to the Kunene River for 10 days or so - nothing booked, just swinging along. Did a long (3,600km) safari in Zambia and Namibia this year - great place.

I flew that exact route just over a year ago and had no issues with having my guns and baggage checked all the way through to Windoek from Edinburgh and vice versa. All I had to do was show the lass at the desk my ticket for my onward flight from Frankfurt and they checked it all through so I didn't need to touch it until I got to my final destination. The airlines just aren't linked for tickets but it doesn't affect the international baggage system I've done this lots of times with my work gear with totally different airlines.

Back