PDA

View Full Version : A nice start on the Sd week.

tika.308
15-10-2013, 12:21
Just a quick update, Alex got his best sika so far this morning plenty of signs of deer but its still a bit too warm.
A few sika are whistling and reds are roaring well.
Just had an update off Daft dog and hes seen a real big stag with around 40 hinds just over the boundry.
Hopefuly more in the larder soon.

paul o'
15-10-2013, 12:27
he's a happy bunny well done

willie_gunn
15-10-2013, 12:31
Keep the updates coming :thumb:

willie_gunn

tika.308
15-10-2013, 14:21
Latest news an 8 point sika on the way in on the royal quad.:-D i will let the lads do the write ups as they get chance.

Robin
15-10-2013, 17:41
Well done Alex I see it's the regen area I bet it was with that senior stalker again, he can only walk on firetracks, make him walk on the rough ground for a change

bobt
15-10-2013, 19:02
watch out for a Toyota pickup with old people in, they kidnap you.

sounds like you are having fun.

sikamalc
15-10-2013, 21:50
Two Sika stags down to day, including a very nice 8 pointer taken by Daft dog.

6pointer
15-10-2013, 21:54
Well done nice to see happy chaps .

pheasant sniper 1
16-10-2013, 21:07
Well done Alex and great to see you guys are all having fun...

tika.308
16-10-2013, 21:46
Happy client with his first ever red stag, well done Tom. After a foggy start it all came good for me and Tom after setting off around 2pm for this lad who was holding around 14 hinds.

sikamalc
16-10-2013, 21:47
All good here Terry, weather very warm still. Reds roaring and Tom took a nice old 8 pointer off heart break ridge this afternoon guided by senior guide.

Off to a new area I have tomorrow with Andy and Darren with myself and Mark as AW in the hope we can get Andy signed off and Darren his first sign off. Everyone seeing deer but tough going as weather warm and wind easterly.

Good times with good true friends, hope to report back tomorrow with good news and two sign off's. but weather supposed to be heavy rain. We will see what the day brings.

pheasant sniper 1
16-10-2013, 23:28
All good here Terry, weather very warm still. Reds roaring and Tom took a nice old 8 pointer off heart break ridge this afternoon guided by senior guide.

Off to a new area I have tomorrow with Andy and Darren with myself and Mark as AW in the hope we can get Andy signed off and Darren his first sign off. Everyone seeing deer but tough going as weather warm and wind easterly.

Good times with good true friends, hope to report back tomorrow with good news and two sign off's. but weather supposed to be heavy rain. We will see what the day brings.

Malc you need to start thinking about taking it a bit easier with Senior Guide.. Maybe a bit of picking up on the quad cause Heart Break Ridge on foot is probably more noisier with him gasping for breath than Alex snoring :)

Great to see its all coming good...

The SD week rejects ( fekin Northern Monkeys)I met in Finland couldn't have been more complimentary about their experience.

Theres a list as long as your arm from the guys in Finland wanting to book for next year.. Ill give you a ring mate.

Hope the weather and luck is good for all

Terry

Robin
17-10-2013, 11:40
Very well done Tom, I'm glad you let Senior Guide take you up there, he knows what he is doing, even if he has to wear his slippers to keep the noise level down.I hope Darren connects with a Red as well.Keep up the good work lads, to say I'm p#ssed of at having to miss out again this year is putting it mildly.I just hope my back is repaired enough to be able to take Malc's clients out on my ground next week, and the weeks that follow.
Robin

JAYB
17-10-2013, 16:46
Very well done Tom, I'm glad you let Senior Guide take you up there, he knows what he is doing, even if he has to wear his slippers to keep the noise level down.I hope Darren connects with a Red as well.Keep up the good work lads, to say I'm p#ssed of at having to miss out again this year is putting it mildly.I just hope my back is repaired enough to be able to take Malc's clients out on my ground next week, and the weeks that follow.
Robin

Just get Cherry to give you a rub down with a five pound note that will fix it, a tenner will be even quicker :D.

Never mind Robin, there is always next year.

John

Robin
17-10-2013, 17:46
Hi John, that's what I said last year, but fingers crossed for next year. I have decided as from August next year I am staying in bed till the S.D. week and see if I can be fit and ready to go .
By the way Cherry said a fifty would go some way towards it, what ever an "it" is.

sikamalc
17-10-2013, 19:42
Another Red on the floor tonight, Daft Dog strikes again. Surrounded by deer this evening.

sikamalc
18-10-2013, 18:00
Good day today 5 deer on the floor, 2 Red Stags and 3 Sika and the lads out tonight for the last stalk. Darren took a very nice Sika Stag this morning and the deer seem to be moving more today.

All the lads have stalked hard and enjoyed themselves.

Thank you to Tikka 308, (Andy) csl (Alex) Darren, Tom for there help on the SD week. But for the past three week season my thanks also go to my good friend Mark for his professional guiding and to my better half Sandra for her wonderful meals and for taking care of the lodge whilst the guys were out stalking.

Back on the Fallow Bucks and a full diary right through to end of February.

ATB

Sikamalc

tika.308
18-10-2013, 20:46
Another couple of photos, Jayb came over for some tuition from Lord Alex, then Tom tried to have the royal quad away while his lordship wasnt looking.

tika.308
18-10-2013, 22:22
Hope your on the mend Robin, Your butler skills have been missed.

JAYB
19-10-2013, 09:31
He would never would have got away with the quad, what you can't see in the photo is his feet can't reach the pedals :-D. Mind you those little legs got him up heartbreak ridge onto a nice red stag, well don Tom shame about the tick :rofl:,

John

csl
20-10-2013, 09:57
Got home about 2045 last night, absolutely knackered!

We got off to a bit of a slow start, there was sign everywhere but the deer were just not showing, at least not in daylight hours. The unseasonally warm weather was having an effect on their behaviour and also on the bracken which had barely even begun to flatten. A few favourite spots from previous years were useless this year because it was impossible to see any distance in front to sit and wait, and of course stalking through it was harder still.... especially for some of the more 'reduced stature' stalkers :D

If I remember correctly I think we blanked on Monday, but this didn't dampen our guests' spirits... in fact that first night they decided to drink those spirits which resulted in both Andy (tika.308) and myself being 'clientless' on Tuesday morning. One stayed in bed.... and the other probably should have! :lol: I won't mention names but sikamalc found a large Geordie chap fast sleep in the sphagnum moss :lol:

It was now an hour and a half later than we should have left but Andy and I decided to head out ourselves to have a look. I left Andy doing his morning 'constitutional' :lol: at the junction of the path (thankfully down wind ;) ) and took the lower route and after only about 20 minutes spotted a lone sika stag picking his way through the undergrowth below me. After a 30 yard dash (down into the steepest, thickest part :roll: ) one stag down.

After dropping a few hints on the radio while doing the gralloch I managed to coax tika.308 down to help me drag him back up to the track. My previous best - 'giant muntjac' sika spiker now upgraded to 'roe buck sika'. :D

After that we were hoping things were going to pick up however no more deer in the larder that morning. Later on we heard Jim had got a good sika stag waaaay out the back after being out on the hill several hours and a drag I don't think he or Simon are likely to forget!

My memory is a bit scrambled about the order of what came next but after the first part of the week I don't mind admitting I was a little anxious, however on Weds? tika.308 took Tom up Heartbreak Ridge in search of a red stag we had been spotting holding hinds. I'm sure one of them will tell the tale but the whoops of joy (and manly bonding? :lol: ) from atop the ridge could probably be heard down the Glenn. They returned later with a good sized 7 pointer.

Throughout the week a pair had being going over to JAYB's ground each day where deer were seen every day in numbers but, frustratingly, for various reasons of wrong gender, wrong place wrong time, stag standoff, legs falling off sticks, a miss and other various stalker's excuses :lol: none were got.

Although the wind and the temperature remained the same on Thursday night something must have have changed because Jim got a red stag on an area which had proved fruitless the previous two days and then on Friday two more deer were taken from that same spot by Simon and Ken, another red stag and a sika stag. Meanwhile, on another area unsuccessfully stalked the previous day Darren got a nice sika stag and Jim got a calf. Tom also got a red spiker the same morning on the hill.

Senior guide 'overseeing' his client's larder work :D
​3372933730

A likely spot, but no luck that night

Darren and his sika stag

I'm sure others will be along with their own photos and write-ups in due course so I'll leave it there for now, just to say it was a pleasure seeing everyone, both old faces and new and the banter was up to scratch as always.

Thanks to sikamalc and JAYB for hosting, to Sandra for feeding us and tirelessly looking after us and to Mark (Fallow Stalker) for his expert guidance and being someone to talk to about tractors. :lol:

Also to my usual room mate Robin, I hope your back is feeling better now - you can't miss another year, the room mate I got stuck with this year is up all night going to the loo, checking his bed for ticks and 'sleep dragging'. I don't think I got more than 4 hours any night! :lol:

p.s. I was going to put this in the deer dog training section.... normally sikamalc isn't allowed up on the sofa, but on this occasion Todd let him as a treat! :D

Oh and no more jokes about the Royal Quad never getting dirty! :smug:

​Alex

JAYB
20-10-2013, 11:59
Very nice account Alex, I especialy liked the way you protected the innocent by not mentioning that it was Tommy lying asleep snoring amongst the moss, a thoughtful touch, as was not mentioning Jim re the miss!

It was good to see the Royal Recovery Ranger getting the quad dirty, you will need to get the staff to clean that off for you, nice to see you again mate.

John

csl
20-10-2013, 12:41
Oops I think you might have inadvertently mentioned their names there John! :lol:

Was nice to see you too John. Sorry I never made it over to see Sheila (and have some cinammon buns!) unlike Senior Guide I was busy grafting while he was off gallivanting. ;)

Looking forward to seeing you both in March!

​Alex

JAYB
20-10-2013, 12:47
March it is, hope the weather is better:-D

John

270TOMMY
20-10-2013, 14:29
Well john it seems the gloves are off again i wasnt going to mention alexs concern about "pauls hole"" now wondering if it was bum fun in the bracken i think all that fresh air might have turned his head unless he couldnt limp away fast enough?

JAYB
20-10-2013, 14:39
Well john it seems the gloves are off again i wasnt going to mention alexs concern about "pauls hole"" now wondering if it was bum fun in the bracken i think all that fresh air might have turned his head unless he couldnt limp away fast enough?

Not my area of expertise I'm happy to say Tommy, that is definitely one for the experts, or witnesses :-D

John

tika.308
20-10-2013, 16:02
As above it was a hard week with warm days and nights and bracken so high a lot of normal areas were of no use, everyone enjoyed themselves with the stalking and the banter. Alex I couldn't stay still in my bed from you grinding pepper under my duvet :finger:.
I know Tom doesn't get putting a lot on here so just a few words on his first red stag, We set off up the hill at around 2pm as we started to get high up in the area I thought he would be in we spotted a hind facing away from us, we kept very low and then we heard the roar of the stag, We then knew they were just over the next part of the hill Tom had a glass over and he whispered a hind was looking straight at him he froze and I just lay in the heather.
After a couple of minutes she turned away and I told Tom to slide up a little more towards a small clump of heather which was the only bit of cover we had and I would stay put just a few feet behind.
Tom spotted the stag and we had got to no more than 50yrds off it, off went the .308 and the stag dropped on the spot.
We did celebrate just a bit with Tom saying he was shaking and it was the best stalking experience he had had in all the years he has been a stalker, I was over the moon sharing this stalk with him and it was one I will never forget.
Thanks again everyone for making it a great week and it was good seeing you all.
All the best Tika.308 (Andy)

tika.308
20-10-2013, 16:07
A couple of Tom just getting into place where he shot from.

csl
20-10-2013, 16:20
Alex I couldn't stay still in my bed from you grinding pepper under my duvet :finger:.

​It would have been stinging nettles if sikamalc had had his way :lol:

tika.308
20-10-2013, 16:32
I told you I would have the last laugh and I did when you ended up infested with ticks :rofl:

8x57
20-10-2013, 16:36
Sounds like you had a great time guys, I'm quite envious.
The photographs certainly reminded me of my very enjoyable week with you guys a couple of years back. Nice to see that it's still all the same jokes also.
The only thing that I am not envious of is the long drive home at the end of the week.

csl
20-10-2013, 16:43
I told you I would have the last laugh and I did when you ended up infested with ticks :rofl:

The ticks know quality blood when they suck it ;)

Sounds like you had a great time guys, I'm quite envious.
The photographs certainly reminded me of my very enjoyable week with you guys a couple of years back. Nice to see that it's still all the same jokes also.
The only thing that I am not envious of is the long drive home at the end of the week.

You're right there Mike, the drive doesn't get any easier, especially thinking of work on Monday!

tika.308
20-10-2013, 16:46
Good memories stalking with you and Dave spensley. Hope your doing well Mike

sikamalc
21-10-2013, 08:55
Glad to hear everyone is home safe and sound after the week. Thank you again to everyone who helped out on the week, and also thank you for all the kind Pm's, texts and emails received.

Good stalking with you all and will catch up with some of you later in the winter.

ATB

Malcolm and Sandra