Willow

I coppiced a whole load a couple of years ago, poles about 5" diameter. After leaving to dry for a year I cut it all into logs for the fire and was very pleased with it - burnt very cleanly, leaving little ash.

If you want to burn it cleanly in six months time you will need to get it cut, split and stored out of the weather but well ventilated pdq to get the water content down. It will dry a lot faster cut to size and split to increase the surface area.

David.

Just cut 2 down myself & in the process of logging & splitting for storage & drying, it's very wet at the moment

If it's free its probably worth it. The trouble is it takes the same length of time and effort to cut, split and stack any wood but willow probably burns 6 times faster than say, oak.
Just my thoughts and experience.

Birch,oak or ash I find are the best...
Willow...?? It would be ok if someone else done the hard work...!! Not for me though.....!LOL..

It supposedly burns quite fast but it's encouraging to read others have found it ok. I'll let you know once this lot's seasoned which was split and stacked in September! :D

IMG_0838.jpg IMG_0843.jpg

Back