can you shoot 22-250 at bisley??

I have heard you cannot shoot a 22-250 at the bisley range, is this true??

Whats the MV? pretty sure there is a speed limit as well as a ME limit.... i think .17hmr is a no-no for just that reason. don't know what the rationale behind it is mind

It is true.

However, we have dispensation at British Sporting Rifle Club, as it's a hunting calibre.

It allegedly harks back to someone from the Hereford area, still with dust on his boots, having a tracer round disappear straight up a few years ago from a fairly hot bit of kit straight into the flightpath for Farnborough.

From the range regulations on the NRA website

for Rifle ranges, no specific calibre limitation but:
a maximum muzzle velocity of 1000 m/s (3280 ft/s) and
a maximum muzzle energy of 4500 J (3319 ft lb);

Whats the MV? pretty sure there is a speed limit as well as a ME limit.... i think .17hmr is a no-no for just that reason. don't know what the rationale behind it is mind
The HMR was a no-no until fmj ammo came out for it, it was the 'expanding ammo' ban that stopped it not speed.

The 22-250 is too fast, even if you 'down load' it to comply, you still can't use it as they go by factory ammo specs.

Pete

Thanks for the info, I had no idea that .17hmr was a no-no, I was shooting mine down there on Sunday! Was looking into a 22-250 but would be a killer not to be able to use/zero it at the range. May have to go the .223 route. Anybody have much use of the .204 ruger, this may be an option. The rifle would be a foxing/rabbit rifle, I cant imagine there would be much left of a rabbit shot with a .204 compared with say .17hmr.

There is absolutely no rationale behind it at all, fast 22 C/F's like the 22-250 and 220 Swift shed velocity and energy much quicker then say a 308 so i canr possibly see where the problem is???
My 22BR is too fast for Bisley!! and under the range rules a 204 would also be too fast, its rediculous

Ian.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea that .17hmr was a no-no, I was shooting mine down there on Sunday! Was looking into a 22-250 but would be a killer not to be able to use/zero it at the range. May have to go the .223 route. Anybody have much use of the .204 ruger, this may be an option. The rifle would be a foxing/rabbit rifle, I cant imagine there would be much left of a rabbit shot with a .204 compared with say .17hmr.
No no no, the Hmr WAS banned, but only until fmj became available. It's ok to use, with fmj. the velocity is well under the limit at 2700 vs 3281fps limit.

Pete

There is absolutely no rationale behind it at all, fast 22 C/F's like the 22-250 and 220 Swift shed velocity and energy much quicker then say a 308 so i canr possibly see where the problem is???
My 22BR is too fast for Bisley!! and under the range rules a 204 would also be too fast, its rediculous

Ian.
The 'rationale' behind it, is, military calibers all run under the limit, and we can, so therefore, we will, set a limit.
It also wears the sand out quicker, and because it sheds energy so quick, it tends to splash the sand and debris around more than a heavy, but slow bullet that drills itself in deep. And yes, sand wears out.

Pete

Ian.

Couldn't agree more Ian, that one of the main reason's I stopped using Bisley several years ago.
Very interesting to read about the British Sporting Rifle Club though I.Farticus, thanks.

The 'rationale' behind it, is, military calibers all run under the limit, and we can, so therefore, we will, set a limit.
It also wears the sand out quicker, and because it sheds energy so quick, it tends to splash the sand and debris around more than a heavy, but slow bullet that drills itself in deep. And yes, sand wears out.

Pete

I have never heard such a load of old tosh in all my life!!
At 600yds a 55gr bullet arrives with a lot less energy then a 168gr 308 bullet and you expect me to believe the smaller lighter bullet causes more damage, get real!

Ian.

I have never heard such a load of old tosh in all my life!!
At 600yds a 55gr bullet arrives with a lot less energy then a 168gr 308 bullet and you expect me to believe the smaller lighter bullet causes more damage, get real!

Ian.
That's the explanation I got from the RSO when I questioned him about it last summer during my tri-annual range inspection.
As somebody who works on a range day in, day out, I've seen the difference in how quick the sand turns to dust when using the SA80 at 5m than at 400, and that still has less energy than a 7.62 from 400. I've also seen how much debris comes back with the faster stuff over the bigger stuff.

Pete

I have never heard such a load of old tosh in all my life!!At 600yds a 55gr bullet arrives with a lot less energy then a 168gr 308 bullet and you expect me to believe the smaller lighter bullet causes more damage, get real!Ian.
So you'll be pleased to know you most definitely won't be allowed to use a 338 there. Talk to the NRA for full clarity in what you cannot shoot and why. K

Last edited:
It is true.

However, we have dispensation at British Sporting Rifle Club, as it's a hunting calibre.

It allegedly harks back to someone from the Hereford area, still with dust on his boots, having a tracer round disappear straight up a few years ago from a fairly hot bit of kit straight into the flightpath for Farnborough.

Sorry, but there's no such dispensation for hot .22CF's. BSRC are restricted to 3280fps (see the BSRC manual - P.133 2.c. iii) - like every one else.

Most ranges are still certified to the 5.56 Nato MV threshold (i.e. .223 55gr nominal is 3240 fps), and no more. Don't ask me why - that's just how it is.

Sorry, but there's no such dispensation for hot .22CF's. BSRC are restricted to 3280fps (see the BSRC manual - P.133 2.c. iii) - like every one else.

Most ranges are still certified to the 5.56 Nato MV threshold (i.e. .223 55gr nominal is 3240 fps), and no more. Don't ask me why - that's just how it is.

Ok, I stand corrected... However, having played with my .22-250 there a number of times, I'm somewhat surprised and will reread my manual. It was actively commented on as not being an issue at BSRC, just elsewhere, so I'm not in the minority. Glad I've used up the ammo and it's been stripped for the 6.5x47 rebarrel now!
Cheers
iain

So who, out of all those who’ve so far posted, is a qualified NRA RCO with the all-important bolt-on HME qualification as both pertinent to the NRA pre zeroing procedure and that of the BSRC c103M range??
K

try and pm ndt man as he is a ro if not a rco and will be at the h4h shoot 8th june he can give you the sp on the club rules

Back