Itchy paw

weeman

Walked my dog this afternoon and she pulled up holding her back left leg. Her leg is fine but her paw/pad is driving her crazy in an itchy way. I've checked for splinters etc but nothing, rinsed it but no good she isn't limping.
Pom sure if she could scream she would.

just a guess,might be harvest mites...
thornit powder get's rid of them.
put some in a bag then put paw in
and shake.
atb ,
fbrad.

It may be a insect sting,a bee more likely than a wasp as bees are about PM wasps AM bazil

Cheers guys. After not finding a splinter I did presume a nettle/thistle stin. It's been six hours now the irritation does seem to be easing for her. Could be brazil. I did thoroughly have a look between her pads but couldn't see or feel anything and she never pulled her leg as in discomfort.

Strange but it doesn't seem to bothering her as much.

Mine has has similar symptoms regularly last year and our vet suggested Piriton, within 20 mins he has stopped itching and settles down.

I live close by to the beech which I avoid as I no this drives her crazy sand between her pads.

O did presume the worse when I seen her pul up but felt a little relived when she was cleaning her paw and not licking her muscles in her legs.

Some local irritant, insect sting or similar or just scratched by something abrasive. Definitely not harvest mite - they only appear in August. My dog often does this, and I've yet to see anything obvious.

The little nettles are out and being small their sting is potent. That would be where my money lies.

I suspect they get better in half an hour whether you give the Piriton or not......

My little cocker suffered quite badly with itchy feet last season, it was pitiful to watch him scratching his feet for at least two or three hours before he calmed down. Then I read on another forum about piriton so I thought next time he gets itchy feet I will give it a go. Three weeks later, just as the young nettles were coming through I came home after a good training session with the dog and he got himself in a very distressed state scratching his feet, after a few hours he was ok, I went to the chemist and got a box of piriton ready for the next day. Next day came and I gave him one tablet before we went to the same ground that we were on the day before, touch wood, he hasn't had itchy feet since.

We do check on a regular basis. Just need some decent clippers now.
Wonder how many actualy cut there nails. Dogs that is.

all of my family
that is

2 whippets
3 labs
1 jack russel
4 korthals griffon's
1 cocker spaniel

all working and spread amongst 4 house holds

that's a symptom of an allergic reaction, to some kind of grass or pollen or something. If so the vet can give her an injection that should keep it clear until next spring.

Back