Bale String Blaser !!

EMcC

I was kindly invited to stalk the ground of a member of this site, he can admit to being the inviter if he so desires later on.
I turned up at some beautiful ground, the scenery was fantastic so I was happy before we even started.
Started to get prepared for an enjoyable stalk when I suddenly realised that I had forgotten to bring something after all !
I say 'after all' because just lately I have forgotten my torch, my milk for the coffee, the sticks and even my binos on one occassion, but this time I loaded up then went back in the house sat down and had a cup of tea and went through my list of requirement s and was convinced that I had everything and was feeling quite pleased with myself on the way to the Stalking ground.
However, when I took my rifle from it's case I realised I had not packed my rifle sling :(
Oh dear, what to do.
As it happens my 'Guillie' offered to lend me one of his but the studs didn't fit because his had Uncle Mikes swivels and I had a Blaser rifle with European studs, much too delicate for chunkey US swivels !!
So with the initiative of a top class boy scout a bit of bale string was threaded through the studs and a strap from one of my 'Guillies' pack the day was saved :)
When I was feeling pleased with myself and turned ready for a look of admiration from my 'Guillie' all I got was the quick glimpse of his camera/phone disappearing behind his back !
So, my fellow SD site members, I felt obliged to get this in before the picture turns up of a Blaser owner using string for his sling followed by suspected holes in my trousers, worn out boots and a begging post for donations as I'd sold everything else to support my Blaser lifestyle !!
Thanks to my 'Guillie' we had a wonderful afternoon and evening, saw some nice animals, both male and female but they are still there for next time, when perhaps, I'll have a proper rifle sling to match the rifle :D

So, my fellow SD site members, I felt obliged to get this in before the picture turns up of a Blaser owner using string for his sling

Damn you stole my thunder! I was all ready to post the "Blaser owner can't afford a sling (or boots :lol:)" thread! :D

IMG_1441.jpg

Too bad that buck did a disappearing act on us in the last few yards of our approach... still wondering if he fell down a large hidden hole! Ah well.... next time... :D

Too bad that buck did a disappearing act on us in the last few yards of our approach... still wondering if he fell down a large hidden hole! Ah well.... next time... :D

It probably knew what it might have been up against if it hung around !!

Love it. I've had to do the very same before using a issue rifle sling and some baling twine! Must say I think it suits the blaser though.

As every farmer knows... Anything can be fixed with baling twine, even Blasers! :D

IMG_1440.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Pete but it was best quality baler twine, unless the other Pete has any better !
Who the H*** is Bernard Cribbens :eek:
Never mind DMQ Level 2 , these are times where my Blue Peter qualification comes in handy :D

Last edited:
Hi Eddie
All you need to go with those trainers,Blaser and baler string is a nice shiny shell suit(nearly forgot a baseball cap on back to front)
Geordie

Sod the baler twine - did you shoot anything??

Dom, the last paragraph in my first post gives it away slightly but I thought the baler twine story might detract from that bit of the outing.;)

Geordie, can I borrow your shell suit and hat next time I go out :D
Mines in the dry cleaners at the moment and the wifes is too small for me, well, baggy up top but a bit tight around the waist :lol:

Last edited:
perhaps eddy its just aswell that buck vanished, if you had shot it that bit of twine might have been your good luck charm to go with that nice spanky new barrel forever to adorn that blaser.

Glad you enjoyed yourself Eddy shame you didnt get a shot, Alex is always fast on with his camera ! I'm surprised he didn't have a sling to fit as he has everything else with him :lol:

I was kindly invited to stalk the ground of a member of this site, he can admit to being the inviter if he so desires later on.
I turned up at some beautiful ground, the scenery was fantastic so I was happy before we even started.
Started to get prepared for an enjoyable stalk when I suddenly realised that I had forgotten to bring something after all !
I say 'after all' because just lately I have forgotten my torch, my milk for the coffee, the sticks and even my binos on one occassion, but this time I loaded up then went back in the house sat down and had a cup of tea and went through my list of requirement s and was convinced that I had everything and was feeling quite pleased with myself on the way to the Stalking ground.
However, when I took my rifle from it's case I realised I had not packed my rifle sling :(
Oh dear, what to do.
As it happens my 'Guillie' offered to lend me one of his but the studs didn't fit because his had Uncle Mikes swivels and I had a Blaser rifle with European studs, much too delicate for chunkey US swivels !!
So with the initiative of a top class boy scout a bit of bale string was threaded through the studs and a strap from one of my 'Guillies' pack the day was saved :)
When I was feeling pleased with myself and turned ready for a look of admiration from my 'Guillie' all I got was the quick glimpse of his camera/phone disappearing behind his back !
So, my fellow SD site members, I felt obliged to get this in before the picture turns up of a Blaser owner using string for his sling followed by suspected holes in my trousers, worn out boots and a begging post for donations as I'd sold everything else to support my Blaser lifestyle !!
Thanks to my 'Guillie' we had a wonderful afternoon and evening, saw some nice animals, both male and female but they are still there for next time, when perhaps, I'll have a proper rifle sling to match the rifle :D
Well at least you had a decent shirt :oops:

Glad you enjoyed yourself Eddy shame you didnt get a shot, Alex is always fast on with his camera ! I'm surprised he didn't have a sling to fit as he has everything else with him :lol:

You can say that again, It was only the quick movement of his hand going behind him that made me suspicious.
I'm glad I wasn't doing anything I shouldn't or it might have ended up in one of the red tops ;)

I think people can overdo the amount/quality of gear that is needed for a days stalking, but then you always get others that have to go too far :D.

You are quite right Eddy, he is like Quick Draw Magraw with that camera

John

....that length of baler twine wasn't originally holding your keks up was it?? :confused:;)

Having a make-do sling seems quite a high price to pay if you ended up flashing your 'my little pony' undercrackers to the world whilst stalking in.....:oops::D

What's that saying though? "Necessity is the mother of invention" - QED.

....that length of baler twine wasn't originally holding your keks up was it?? :confused:;)
Having a make-do sling seems quite a high price to pay if you ended up flashing your 'my little pony' undercrackers to the world whilst stalking in.....:oops::D
What's that saying though? "Necessity is the mother of invention" - QED.
No, I left the baler twine around my waist but had to take the bits from just below my knees.
I crossed my fingers that we wouldn't meet any rats on our way round !! :eek:
Joking aside, the thing is, I have amassed quite few rifle slings over the years and was looking at some of them the other day to see about a clear out but I didn't think they were worth a lot of money but too good to throw away so still have them :(

PS. had I needed to flash my shreddies, I would have gone bright red - the same colour as my silk shreddies :D

Last edited:
I think people can overdo the amount/quality of gear that is needed for a days stalking, but then you always get others that have to go too far :D.John

:oops:Guilty as charged but for the life of me I can’t recall when I gave you permission to rummage through my drawers!:oops:
K

Back